• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger SR762 & Sig 716

08Cayenne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
East Central Ohio
I know next to nothing about AR's but would like to start learning, have never even shot one before. I want to get one in .308 because I have an ample supply of ammo. I was leaning towards the Sig 716 mainly because I like Sigs. Now Ruger has the SR762, I like Ruger also. Doesn't have to be super accurate, have other rifles for that. Strictly for range play at basicallay unlimited choice of distance. It would get scoped, thinking about an F1. Between these two which would you get and why?

I have been able to run a Sig, and only handled a Ruger but my thoughts so far:
I like the handgaurd on the Ruger. Feels better than the sig but I don't know what if any aftermarkets if any will fit.
The Ruger has a very cool BCG design. The 1-peice carrier seems like a great idea, we will see how it holds up.
Weight was similar. Trigger on the Ruger feels smoother than the stock Sig (which kinda sucks and needs to be upgraded)
The Sigs that I have played with are not the most accurate, but minute of man at 400 yards is plenty good for a rifle like this. The Sigs were, however very dependable with no malfunctions I can remember. If the Ruger runs as good as it looks we have another great option in the piston market the one I saw priced under 2k.

I know next to nothing about AR's but would like to start learning, have never even shot one before. I want to get one in .308 because I have an ample supply of ammo. I was leaning towards the Sig 716 mainly because I like Sigs. Now Ruger has the SR762, I like Ruger also. Doesn't have to be super accurate, have other rifles for that. Strictly for range play at basicallay unlimited choice of distance. It would get scoped, thinking about an F1. Between these two which would you get and why?

Guy on another site did a pretty good review of the Ruger it looked good to me. Also Google search for the CMMG 308 CBR it has a keymod handguard, magpul buttstock, good muzzle brake and trigger for 1800.

This thread is about a month old, but perhaps this could be of use to someone. My Ruger SR-762 has its flaws. Overall, its still a keeper:
Problems:
Problem 1: 2 of the 3 supplied P-Mags had many FTE and FTFs. I called Ruger and was told I'm not the only one with this problem. Ruger says they have started a national mag exchange program for the 762. I sent my 2 bad mags in (11/25) and am still waiting to get 2 good mags back. The third mag runs flawlessly; or at least it has for 225 rounds so far.
Problem 2: The stock trigger was less than satisfactory. I dropped in a Giessele and that solved the problem.
Problem 3: The peep aperture on the rear sight interferes with my optic. Normally I'd blame myself for not getting higher mounts (I got the Bobro), but the Samson dual peep aperture won't fold flat. The body of the folded BUIS fits under my Weaver Tactical FFP 3x15x50 just fine, but the stupid dual peep aperture doesn't fold down. Grumble grumble... If anyone wants to trade BUISs, let me know. Its a shame because I really like the Samson sights. BTW, the Bobro quick release mount has put my scope back to absolute zero 6 times now, even after being accidentally dropped.
Problem 4: Ruger will not sell spare parts for it. I asked and was told no on any “factory fitted” part, which apparently is most of them.
Problem 5: it eats ammo WAY too fast. I blame the gun :)

Enough whining, here's what I like:
1. Its lighter than the other semi-auto 308's I played with. Are there lighter SA 308's out there? Probably, but not that readily come to mind or that I held.
2. I get submoa 5 shot groups with handloads. The first shot is a flier (consistently 2+ inches) when the barrel is cold even when I slingshot it into the action. The following 19 make tight little groups when I do my part.
3. The action stays very clean. I ran some Herter's steel cased ammo and didn't find any of those little yellow specs or much carbon fouling in the chamber. The gas piston gets dirty, but its easily removed and fast to clean because its chrome plated. The Ruger's barrel cleans faster than my Remington 700 308 AAC-SD's barrel because the former is chromed.
4. I like the ability to control the gas (yeah yeah, insert your favorite fart joke here). This gives me the option to run it reliably with a can, run it reliably without cleaning for extended periods of time, or turn the gas off and run it like a single-shot if I don't want to chase my brass at the range or mess with my brass catcher.
5. The AR platform makes it comfortable to shoot, easy to put on optics, and very customizable; ie I could drop in the trigger I really wanted.
6. I don't have to baby it when handling or shooting. The flash hider protects the crown so I can ride with it “muzzle on floor” in the pickup. Its first outing was in a hellacious snow storm in the top of the Utah mountains. The gun was heavily snowed on, got sopping wet, yet ran fine. I should have taken a video. Sub 0 temps didn't seem to affect it on a subsequent outing; when the good mag was in. The dust cover should keep most mud, trail dust, and river water out of the action when I strap it on the ATV this summer and fall. Don't get me wrong, the rifle gets cleaned and dried, and lightly lubed in a few places, but it will have to earn its keep in a mountainous and desert area. It is not a safe queen.
7. It doesn't have much recoil; I'd guess it has about 11 ft-lbs. Again, just a guess.
8. $1,640 greenbacks otd (on gunbroker) is a lot of money for me, however, the Ruger cost less than the Sig 716 and is, in my book, equally good and weighs less.
9. It feels good to buy an American designed and produced fighting rifle when the product fits my application, is well made (thanks Matrix Aero), and the value is there.

I've owned the Ruger SR762 for about 4 months and I've been very pleased with it. I've modified it fairly extensively, but the guts of the gun remain untouched. I've shot the Sig and a CMMG in the same price class and I'm extremely happy with my decision to go with the Ruger. I've experienced the same results as RMS2424 has on the range, one flier and otherwise tight groups. I live in West Texas where I can take longer pokes and I've had pretty consistent results between 500 and 800 yards (I went with a 2.5-10x33 Vortex optic) which is as far as my local range goes. It's also a great hog rifle and I suspect I'll enjoy it during deer season as well. I replaced the trigger pretty quickly and went with a Geissele SSA-E, which has been wonderful. I've also made some other ergonomic modifications, but they weren't essential.

Anyways, thats my two cents. Albeit a few months late..

Ruger SR762 is a lot of rifle for the money. Mine holds 1.5 MOA with match 168s and about 3.0 with 150g American Eagle. This is AFTER I replaced the crap stock trigger with Giessele SSA. I wanted a piston with easy gas port adjustment so I can run suppressed and unsupressed easily. Roughly 2k rounds through it problem free.

Both appear to be good rifles from solid companies so no issues with support if needed. That being said I picked up a SIG 716 mainly because of making the mistake of checking out my friends rifle and liking it a lot.
Piston drive rocks....The only weak part on the Sig was the stock trigger that was just "OK" at best.

Mine has had zero issues from day one. I upgraded obviously flaws, Timney Trigger, STR stock, decent glass. I have obtained slightly larger than 1 MOA Accuracy with Match ammo. Overall for the money, easy rifle to add to the collection. Much lighter and handles much better than the sig, please note my screen name also, I love my Sig. certainly have been happy with the rifle and for the medium range 308 battle rifle its a keeper and she dresses up pretty well.

Attachments

• 100_0876.jpg
    100_0876.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76