• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger vs Kidd receiver

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
I have various 10/22 and Kidd parts occupying space on my work bench - so I am looking to assemble another 22 for the grandkids. Is there an appreciable difference between a Kidd receiver and the standard Ruger 10/22 receiver?? From what I can see, if there is any difference it is minimal

Biggest thing on the Ruger receiver is if the hole for the barrel is canted or not.

Probably not worth the difference on the receiver, though it is nice to have the cleaning hole in the back. I used the hole as an anchor, indexing it with a brass screw head on the raptor stocks. I keep saying I'm going to build another with a bronze/nickel receiver from Feddersen, but I already have 4 that I built from parts. The only ruger parts in them are the triggers. https://fjfeddersen.com/product/10-22-bronze-nickel-alloy-receiver/

Minimal? That's like saying the difference between a Honda Civic and a Ferrari 488 is "minimal". Cast vs milled is the biggest difference. Run your finger over the inside finish of a Ruger receiver and a Kidd receiver..massive difference in the finished product. Built in picatinny rail on the Kidd. Massive difference in overall build quality.

I'd guess the real question is how much do you love your grandkids? $85 or $220? Brownells makes a nice 10/22 receiver that splits the difference with most of the features of the Kidd receiver.

Is there a difference? Yes absolutely. If you are going to piece together a 10/22 from random parts, some quality and others not so much, it won't be worth it. The benefit to Kidd is how everything fits together and works together. Just putting one high performance part on a gun and expecting a difference is not worth the time in this situation.

As everyone has said, yes, there is a big difference. But, from what you explained about the parts you plan to use and who will be shooting...it would not be worth the extra money. To make the most out of a KIDD receiver, you should use all KIDD parts which gets you the better manufacturing tolerances and the better accuracy. For the grandkids, who will never know the difference, the Ruger receiver will serve you well and save a bunch of money you can use to buy ammo. As NewsShooter stated, the cleaning hole is nice, but it is also very easy to add that to the Ruger receiver. Good luck with the build.

Don't think you can go wrong with either, there's no doubt a Kidd receiver is tough and held to a high standard of quality than most in the market. Have seen more than a few use Kidd receivers used with cheap ammo. "shakes head"

The Ruger receivers on the other hand are pretty darn good, pretty rough, too.

Biggest thing on the Ruger receiver is if the hole for the barrel is canted or not.
^^^^^^^^^This, I don't know how common this is but I got lucky 🤬 enough to get one and at the end of the day shoulda went Kidd. BUT, because of the intended purpose and IF you already have a Ruger donor rifle for the receiver, go ahead. If you're buying a bone-stock 10/22 for the receiver, no.

I cannot say enough about my kidd rifle. That thing has won me competitions and is a non stop shooter. pull a bore snake through it and keep rolling.

Especially if you can't find a Ruger receiver or other needed parts, Kidd has it all.

If I were going to get a Kidd I'd surely get the rear tang attachment for a second anchor point.

I just ordered a Kidd reciever last night, cost about $50-$60 more then a ruger reciever and well worth it to me this will be my second Kidd build.

No regrets
20190801_014217_resized.jpg

Reactions: prairiefire
Go with the Kidd. I have three Kidd receivers. Two of the rifles also have Kidd barrels. The one I shoot the most has a Kidd tapered barrel. It’s my CMP Rimfire Sporter rifle. Love the Kidd builds and worth the money.

I have an older Ruger carbine. The receiver cant is so bad I leave it as is- factory stock, barrel, barrel band, etc. If I use the receiver in any other stock- like Hogue, Magpul, or Victor- I have to deal with the barrel contacting the stock. With Kidd, there is no cant and no issues.

Attachments

• 4757C85C-E5A3-4CAC-9951-F62766D2DEFF.jpeg
    4757C85C-E5A3-4CAC-9951-F62766D2DEFF.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 74E950A8-FE3E-420E-BFD4-40F963020EA5.jpeg
    74E950A8-FE3E-420E-BFD4-40F963020EA5.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: MackDaddy1962