• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Rugged Obsidian 45

kindabitey

See, nobody cares
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    Does anyone have any first hand experience with a Rugged Obsidian 45 or 9?
    I'm in the market for a pistol/ subgun can, and can't seem to find much reliable info.

Have both, no issues with either. I keep the O 9 with the 3 lug and change pistons for pistols with the O45. If going with a 3 lug--DO NOT buy the Rugged one as it's a total POS. I went with the Kaw Valley one, made of steel vs. aluminum. That and if you ever need to call them, better off going to a weed bar as that's about the conversation one would expect to have.

Last edited:
    I’ve shot the obsidian 9 in short config. great can

I have a griffin 45 that I keep in the short configuration that was intended for 9mm sub guns and the occasional hk45T. Does well with 9, but longer than I want. It’s similar in size to the obsidian 45.

Ended up snatching up an omega 9k to dedicate to subguns now. It’s short and quiet; which are what I care about most

If you don’t shoot 45 pistols often, I don’t see the need for a 45 can even unless it’s important to have that option. Just stick with a compact 9 can

the obsidian 9 would be a great option.

Reactions: kindabitey
    Have both, no issues with either. I keep the O 9 with the 3 lug and change pistons for pistols. If going with a 3 lug--DO NOT buy the Rugged one as it's a total POS. I went with the Kaw Valley one, made of steel vs. aluminum. That and if you ever need to call them, better off going to a weed bar as that's about the conversation one would expect to have.
    I have an Obsidian .45. You're right about the Rugged three lug adapter. The problem that I had with it was that when installing the can on a firearm with a three lug barrel, you have to be extremely careful to make sure it seats properly. There are no internal stops that would prevent it from being over rotated when installing it. First time out, I managed to rotate the can/adapter too far, didn't realize it wasn't seated, fired the first round and blew the can downrange.

It was at an indoor range and of course it landed on the concrete floor at just the perfect angle to damage/bend/swage the front edge of the front tube inward, making it impossible to get the end cap off, ever again.

I called Rugged about it. They can't legally send out the front tube as a replacement, so I had to send the whole can back to them. They were very good about replacing the tube and end cap under warranty and turning it around quickly.

I talked to one (the only one ?) of their CSR's and suggested that they needed to improve their three lug adapter so that it can't be "over-rotated" and more so, build their end caps with a crown on them to protect the front of the tube. The guy could have cared less. Didn't give a shit. That came across very clearly.

Oh, and re-design the end cap and back cap/barrel adapter(s) so that standard tools (Box, Open end or Crescent wrench) can be used, instead of those proprietary adapters (that appear to be made out of Nylon/Delrin/UHMW). They charge for the adapters, BTW.

Am I happy with the Obsidion ? Yes, with conditions. It is well built, but........man, they need to fix the design flaws.

Would I buy another Obsidian ? Uhhhh, probably not. At least not until they've shown that they have started listening to their customers input and improve their products accordingly.

Last edited:
    I’ve shot the obsidian 9 in short config. great can

I have a griffin 45 that I keep in the short configuration that was intended for 9mm sub guns and the occasional hk45T. Does well with 9, but longer than I want. It’s similar in size to the obsidian 45.

Ended up snatching up an omega 9k to dedicate to subguns now. It’s short and quiet; which are what I care about most

If you don’t shoot 45 pistols often, I don’t see the need for a 45 can even unless it’s important to have that option. Just stick with a compact 9 can

the obsidian 9 would be a great option.
    I shoot equally as much 45 as I do 9. Both my 9 and Sig 227 are threaded, so am hoping find a suitable 45 cal can that will suffice for both. Not buying two pistol cans will enable me to purchase an additional centerfire can.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    I have an Obsidian .45. You're right about the Rugged three lug adapter. The problem that I had with it was that when installing the can on a firearm with a three lug barrel, you have to be extremely careful to make sure it seats properly. First time out, I managed to rotate the can/adapter too far, didn't realize it wasn't seated, fired the first round and blew the can downrange.

It was at an indoor range and of course it landed on the concrete floor at just the perfect angle to damage/bend/swage the front edge of the tube inward, making it impossible to get the end cap off, ever again.

I called Rugged about it. They can't legally send out the front tube as a replacement, so I had to send the whole can back to them. They were very good about replacing the tube and end cap under warranty and turning it around quickly.

I talked to one (the only one ?) of their CSR's and suggested that they needed to improve their three lug adapter so that it can't be "over-rotated" and more so, build their end caps with a crown on them to protect the front of the tube. The guy could have cared less. Didn't give a shit. That came across very clearly.

Oh, and re-design the end cap and back cap so that standard tools (Box, Open end or Crescent wrench) can be used, instead of those proprietary adapters (that appear to be made out of Nylon/Delrin/UHMW). They charge for the adapters, BTW.

Am I happy with the Obsidion ? Yes, with conditions. It is well built, but........man, they need to fix the design flaws.

Would I buy another Obsidian ? Uhhhh, probably not. At least not until they've shown that they have started listening to their customers input and improve their products accordingly.
    Looks like they use the booster piston for the end cap tool now.
    One reason I'm looking at them is service related. They're within a few hours drive.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    Looks like they use the booster piston for the end cap tool now.
    One reason I'm looking at them is service related. They're within a few hours drive.
    I can't complain about their service. They were good (and quick) about warranting "my screwup". Had they given me a problem about it, I'd feel differently though.

The other thing is that I now know that their three lug adapter is "touchy". The only thing I'll ever use it for would be range day. Not reliable enough for anything else.

I shoot equally as much 45 as I do 9. Both my 9 and Sig 227 are threaded, so am hoping find a suitable 45 cal can that will suffice for both. Not buying two pistol cans will enable me to purchase an additional centerfire can.
    Don't know if was apparent or not, but I use my .45 for both 9 and .45. Works just fine. I have end caps for both, but to do it over again, I wouldn't bother buying the 9 end cap.

Obsidian 45 owner, direct thread, no other 45 cans.

Works fine as used.

Cosmic is lighter. Obsidian in the "short" configuration is about the same weight as the Cosmic. Probably very similar performance.

All that said my primary reasons for the Obsidian were the short configuration option and they said they'd stand behind it with full power 45-70 loads.

Obsidian 45 owner, direct thread, no other 45 cans.

Works fine as used.

Cosmic is lighter. Obsidian in the "short" configuration is about the same weight as the Cosmic. Probably very similar performance.

All that said my primary reasons for the Obsidian were the short configuration option and they said they'd stand behind it with full power 45-70 loads.
    The 45-70 is also why I’m considering it. I may bump my head and build another
    458 socom. You know in case of bears or Sasquatch 🤣

• Haha
    Reactions: doubloon
    Most of my other suppressors are Liberty.

I can't say enough good things about the company or Dave. Even though I never found a definitive full 45-70 loads supported I would have rolled the dice on the Cosmic if there was a shorter configuration, especially lighter.

A couple people on different trips to the range while working up subs with the Obsidian came over to ask about it thinking it was a 22.

Last edited: