• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rugged Obsidian needs cleaned, won't come apart. Solution?

hollowoutadime

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
Both my 9 and .45 cans.

I believe the housing is aluminum and it won't come apart (won't unscrew). I've tried getting Kroil to creep into the threads, no luck. I have an ultrasonic that works wonders, but what solution will not harm the finish?

I use peroxide and vinegar on my sparrow .22 internals, but that doesn't play well with nice finishes.

The endcaps come off and the first baffles come out, (they're modular in design) - that's it. Two guys with rubber gloves couldn't unscrew this.
Maybe kerosene in the ultrasonic to get it to creep into the threads?

Next time I won't wait so many rounds.

Try some wacks with a rubber mallet. Carbon is brittle and you may be able to break up some of the bonds. Be careful not to bend anything, I'd put the end cap back on and be moderate in force.

Deep freeze it and then heat with a propane torch around the threaded area. Next time use moly grease on threads

+1 on the Moly grease. I'm going to tap it with a mallet first.
Kind of surprised they seized up this early on centerfire ammo, 22's are filthy. Then again, I put in a home range and shoot a lot.

Thanks guys!

If it were me I would just use some Boretech C4. You will have it apart in just a few minutes.

It's apart. A little heat from propane on the threads, and two whacks with a rubber mallet. Unscrewed nicely. Innards cleaned up nicely in the ultrasonic with peroxide/vinegar.

Thanks All

Reactions: MOUNTIC
It's apart. A little heat from propane on the threads, and two whacks with a rubber mallet. Unscrewed nicely. Innards cleaned up nicely in the ultrasonic with peroxide/vinegar.

Thanks All
I sincerely hope you didn’t get poisoned by the lead acetate you created with that mixture, nicknamed “The Dip.”

The mixture will go right through your skin and, especially if boiled, it could potentially go airborne and into your lungs (and then blood). Not sure at what temp the stuff goes airborne, but I wouldn’t want to find out.

And pouring that mix down the drain is a huge no-no. It’s not like shooting bullets and obviously leaving the lead bullet in the wild (most of us, including me, do that)…lead acetate is much more mobile.

Reactions: Holliday