• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rules for flying with ammo?

tlsmith22

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
ALABAMA
I am gonna be going to western Oklahoma next month for a JTAC class and was wondering how aggravating it will be to fly with 200-300 rounds of ammo? Can I put that much in a checked bag? I’m pretty sure I wont have enough room in my rifle hard case for it. Wondering how much of a a hassle you guys that have done it have had?

11 lbs is the limit I believe. It has to be checked. Most airlines like it in original box but usually a box that separates the individual round will suffice if they are reloads, but you may have to present them the rules. It is always good to have them printed and available. I have never had to separate into separate bags to split down to 11 lbs in each bag so I am not sure if that would make it through or not. If I needed more than 11 pounds I would either drop ship it or source it at my destination.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
As long as you don’t have a round chambered, you can carry-on up to three handguns and one rifle with loaded mags. You’ll have to stow the rifle in the overhead bin. Max of 3 loaded mags per gun on your person as you board.

I find a chest rig gets the flight crew excited.

11 lbs is the limit I believe. It has to be checked. Most airlines like it in original box but usually a box that separates the individual round will suffice if they are reloads, but you may have to present them the rules. It is always good to have them printed and available. I have never had to separate into separate bags to split down to 11 lbs in each bag so I am not sure if that would make it through or not. If I needed more than 11 pounds I would either drop ship it or source it at my destination.
I thought abt shipping it ahead of time. Maybe that is my best option. Thanks man

Fly Alaska Air if you can, they allow 50 lbs of ammo
Too late for that, already booked my flight. Not sure Alaska Air flies from Alabama to Oklahoma either...lol But they may. That is good info to know though abt their ammo limit.

Go to the airlines website and print out the rules. Some airlines only allow ammo if you check a gun. The 11lb limit is from one of the .gov, but some airlines are more restrictive. I have never had an issue flying with ammo, but the most I have carried was about 150 rounds.

I usually carry it on in my high capacity cargo pockets. Right leg rifle, left leg shotshell, don’t ask me where I carry pistol ammo.
1614006690881.jpeg

1614006723224.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
If you had Googled "rules for flying with ammo" you'd have landed on TSA instructions instead of opinions of members on the 'hide.

Just sayin'

TSA is not the only .gov that limits travel. Also the airlines can impose stricter limits. I like Delta because I have never had an issue flying with them and guns/ammo. Also individual airports can limit guns/ammo on their premises if the state has no preemption. Most US (Delta, southwest, American...) airlines allow 11 lbs of ammo per their website

Last edited:
Just stow the ammunition in the case with the weapon(no loose pack). 11lbs is the stated limit but no one is going to weigh your ammo seperatly. The total weight of the case is what matters. The TSA folks actually are not interested in rooting thru your case once you declair it's unloaded and you place the silly card in the case. Traveling with weapons and ammo is actually pretty easy.

Last edited:
its not the airlines that limit to 11lbs... Its a federal limit by the DOT for "dangerous goods"(or whatever they are classifying "cartridges, small arms" these days) transported by passenger air carrier.

I believe Alaska has a waiver to allow greater than 11lbs of ammunition, although I see on certain flights they still hold the 11lb limit, not sure where those flights go vs. the other flights.

Last edited:
Good reference thread but be sure the rules are current before you fly.

5 kg per person and 25kg per plane, in theory at pilots discretion i.e. if the pilot says' no' then no ammo (highly unlikely).

Would suggest printing off the airlines rules from their web site and taking this info with you - the ground staff in some cases are clueless and start making shite up as they go along. probably more relevant on international flights.

Reactions: striped1
Yes, I used to travel extensively for skeet tournaments and it has always been my understanding that the limit was 11 lbs of factory boxed ammo in a separate bag from the firearm.

As for factory boxed....it was TSA in Detroit who insisted that the 23 each 20 ga hulls I had in a baggie (yeah, it was a real short shoot-off for 20 ga champ! haha) be a full factory box and they would not let me through security otherwise.

Now, that's not to say that any of these organizations (airlines and TSA) are consistent between each other or even from place to place with the same organization. :rolleyes:

A person may be right or wrong according to the rules and regulations, but do you want to be arguing with TSA about it as you watch your plane get pushed back from the gate.

Me, its factory boxed ammo 11 lbs or less and I haven't had any issues over many, many flights.

Reactions: striped1
As long as you don’t have a round chambered, you can carry-on up to three handguns and one rifle with loaded mags. You’ll have to stow the rifle in the overhead bin. Max of 3 loaded mags per gun on your person as you board.

I find a chest rig gets the flight crew excited.
...but the chest rig is ok, right?

Reactions: TheHorta
its not the airlines that limit to 11lbs... Its a federal limit by the DOT for "dangerous goods"(or whatever they are classifying "cartridges, small arms" these days) transported by passenger air carrier.

I believe Alaska has a waiver to allow greater than 11lbs of ammunition, although I see on certain flights they still hold the 11lb limit, not sure where those flights go vs. the other flights.
I fly Alaska extensively. Probably upwards of 60+ flights a year with them, half the time with a firearm. 50 lbs is their policy, unless flying internationally or with code share partner (flights 3330-3499).

Their ammo limits and their awareness of firearms (they promote hunting in and out of the PNW and Alaska) is a big reason I fly them. I have never had a problem.

Screenshot_20210222-133311.png

I am gonna be going to western Oklahoma next month for a JTAC class and was wondering how aggravating it will be to fly with 200-300 rounds of ammo? Can I put that much in a checked bag? I’m pretty sure I wont have enough room in my rifle hard case for it. Wondering how much of a a hassle you guys that have done it have had?
I'll be making the same trip from NC in April for their class. I'd be interested to know what you're carrying your gear in, Like rear bag and other stuff. I was thinking of getting a pelican style trunk to put my ammo and all my gear in and use my carry on for my clothes and stuff.

Reactions: tlsmith22
case of ammo is less than 20 to ship east coast to west coast by UPS ground

when was the last time you priced shipping ammo via UPS ground?

I shipped 2 cases of 7.62x39 to a buddy and it was $45 per case... and that was in January of 2020 before all this covid craziness, shipping price increases, regulation changes that took place Jan 21, etc... I bet its 60+ to ship a case of ammo as an individual via UPS.

TSA is not the only .gov that limits travel. Also the airlines can impose stricter limits. I like Delta because I have never had an issue flying with them and guns/ammo. Also individual airports can limit guns/ammo on their premises if the state has no preemption. Most US (Delta, southwest, American...) airlines allow 11 lbs of ammo per their website
Delta still zip tie your check bag?
Good to leave some little snips in an outside pocket so you can get through those hefty ties.

I'll be making the same trip from NC in April for their class. I'd be interested to know what you're carrying your gear in, Like rear bag and other stuff. I was thinking of getting a pelican style trunk to put my ammo and all my gear in and use my carry on for my clothes and stuff.
I shipped my ammo before hand and had Cobra foam make some foam for a Pelican 1750. I included an area for a handgun, 2 mags and a box of pistol ammo. I am going to have to carry my kestrel and rear bag in my carry on and I am sure I will get a million questions abt why I am carrying a sandbag.

Reactions: Zbizzle911
I shipped my ammo before hand and had Cobra foam make some foam for a Pelican 1750. I included an area for a handgun, 2 mags and a box of pistol ammo. I am going to have to carry my kestrel and rear bag in my carry on and I am sure I will get a million questions abt why I am carrying a sandbag.
Just tell anyone who asks:
You need a sand bag when you take a dirt nap
It's the cremated remains of the previous person who didn't mind their own business.
It contains a few grains of sand from every beach you were ever assigned to assault, including Omaha Beach at Normandy.
it's for the cat in the checked baggage department.
You are carrying it for training and are just now up to the 1 lb bag
You read that there was ICE where you are going and are just prepared to sprinkle that shit so you don't slip.

Reactions: davsco