• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruminations on 30cal big cartriges

mickg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2007
Stony Brook, NY
It turns out that I have 2 300RUMs and 2 300 Win Mags.

As I have used neither in the last half year, it's a good idea to thin the herd, so to speak.

The guns in question are tuned and trued Rem 700 actions.

What would _you_ keep? The 300RUM, or the 300WM?

Note that the long-range bug, when it bites me, is satisfied by the 6x47, 6.5x47, or 6br, and I the longest range I have repeatable access to is 800yds.

So, tell me what to sell
smile.gif

Re: Ruminations on 30cal big cartriges

the RUM's are serious over-bore barrel burners....not as bad as the .300wm....so take it from there.

my go-to rifle would be the .300wm in a lighter gun....something i could knock down something at 700 & 800yd...possibly farther if i used both eyes open....in other words keep the stick you can hit with.

mickg,

Tell you what to sell????

Has Snipers Hide turned into the shooters equivalent of "Dear Abby"????

Help, I have too many guns, Oh my, what do I do do with them
smile.gif

I know I'll let 20,000 or so strange dudes on Snipers Hide, tell me what to do, since I haven't a clue. Sound thinking. How did you even manage to acquire 4 of anything. Hold a seance? Committee meeting maybe?

In any event, if you don't use them, you could:

Sell them all. And buy something you will use.
Give them away to a deserving shooters that don't have any.
Sell raffle tickets for them.
Buy lamp shades, and turn them into Lamps, maybe. They would make for interesting after dinner conversation pieces.

Or I don't know. Wish I had your problems.....

Best of luck,

Bob

Take the .300 RUM and have the barrel shortened from the chamber end and re-chambered to .300 WSM. You can load the 200+ bullets out plenty far and still work through the mag.

Rebarrel a .300 Win Mag to 7mm Rem Mag for nostalgia.

Sell nothing..., unless you need to cash to build something else or buy new glass.