• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Runners, a question...

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
I've started to incorporate a little running into my repertoire and had a quick question.

I ran 2 miles this morning in 16 minutes. I walked a half mile before and half mile after. Is it better to slow down my pace and run longer, or try to keep that pace and extend length over time?

Re: Runners, a question...

8 minute miles is a very good workout pace. If your not going to compete it could be all you need. Right now I run about 7.5 minutes and I have no intention of competing anymore so that pace is fine. Most non military PFT's are looking for 12 minute 1 1/2 miles and that is an eight.You could add hills if you got them or sprint intervals but eight minute by itself will get you body fat reductions with good dietary factors.Another plus for guy's in our business is it will increase you bottle time and flights of stairs are going to seem like flat ground... for a few floors anyway.

Even only running 2-3 miles? I started at 2, but am going to try to work up to 3 at the same pace. About the last 1/4 mile I was fighting to keep that pace. I could've slowed down to a trot and done another mile, but just stopped where I was. Haven't done a lot of running recently and didn't want to over-do it. Especially since my legs and back workout is tomorrow.

Like anything your going to get improvements with time. Running is just like other workout in so much as your trying to overload to get result for competition. As your pace gets faster and the distance increases you'll need to make adjustments. If you are just using it for conditioning then most of my clients run for 30-45 minutes,your 8 minute pace is fine. I'm getting BMI reductions in everyone doing that cycle at least every other day with weight training in between.Pay attention to your body. Your knees and joints are receiving some serious impact. If your hurting skip a day if your hurting bad see the Dr.

Work on getting a "base" down first so you don't injure yourself. I think conventional wisdom is to not increase your distance more than 10% week to week. If you are sore the next day from this run then I would take time off from running until you feel good and then jog at a slower pace for a couple of miles after you walk for a half mile or so and cool down for about a half mile or more. Big thing is to not push yourself and end up with an injury. Don't get caught up in performing better at first and running all the time at first you can actually work yourself slower/weaker if your body doesn't have time to recover.

Once you get a "base" down if you want to go faster then interval training once or twice a week is the way to get faster (back and forth between high intensity and low intensity). Higher intensity means more calories burned, but more chance of injury and injuries take much longer to heal than to acquire.

As far as your workout help, we would really have to know what do you want from your running and some of your physical attributes. Once you start running for a month or 2 you'll probably have a better idea of what you want, so right now just walk/jog, don't hurt yourself and keep your workouts varied and enjoyable.

Well, I'm 34 y/o, 183 lbs, 6'1" tall. I'm finishing my last week of P90x and am about to transition into a moderate weight lifting regimen. I'm planning on adding the running every morning to keep trying to cut this belly fat. Eating healthy and am NOT eliminating carbs, albeit I am restricting them a bit.

If you're gonna run a bunch then you'll want those carbs for sure. You should probably run for about a month or so regularly and then maybe find a 5k, which is about 3 miles, workout plan that you like. Make sure the plan has plenty of interval training, because this is what really boosts your speed and burns calories. A good plan will have varying interval workouts as well and for 3 miles I believe doing about 10 or so sets of 200 m sprints with about a minute rest in between are pretty good for just regular speed workouts and around 6 400m (about a quarter mile) sprint workouts with from 1 min to 2 min rests are pretty good too. Those are 2 really good interval workouts I use once or twice a week. The 400m workout is not an all out sprint, usually its a paced sprint where you figure out the pace you want for 3 miles and then use a slightly faster pace for your 400m pace.

Don't forget to hydrate, stretch once warmed up, sun protection, etc. It's hot right now and I have to really drink a lot of water before, during, and after my running and the heat can really cut down on your pace.

Most of these guys are correct in their thinking. For running, you need a base. To have a base, you must start with consistency. Consistency comes from getting used to running and eventually working into workouts. Being a college D1 runner, the base is one of the most important things. I start working on my base and don't start doing tempo runs until about 6-8 weeks after the start of base training. I also believe that tempo runs or fartlek runs will get you more in the condition that you are looking for rather than intervals. Intervals can help with cardio, but not greatly. Intervals are used for leg speed, turnover, and muscle memory. If you are really looking for a workout, don't start until you have your base. Do your morning runs, but STAY CONSISTENT. If you only want to run 2-3 miles, that is fine, but it will change. Those little runs will become obsolete after doing so many of them. You will eventually want to go more! As for pace, 8 minutes is fine now, just get used to it and you will naturally see things progress.

If you want tips on fartlek or tempo, feel free to PM me and I will give you some thoughts after hearing what you are currently doing and future plans.

**I am not saying that fartletk or tempo is the definite way to go about things, but after reading yours thoughts and desires, it is what I think is best. It is simply my opinion.**

Also!

The little things are important when it comes to fine tuning running. Eating, sleeping, and recovery are all factors. Although the distance you are working on right now isn't AS important, it is still very important. Carbs are good as are proteins for runners.

Oh, and like stated, stretch after warming up. Not before. It is also a good idea to consider electrolytes especially now that summer has arrived. Stay hydrated and give your body what it needs!

Agree with ishoot. If you don't know what fartleks are it is basically have fun with running fast. Pick a telephone pole or time and run fast to it. There are no rules. Do what you want. This leads to increase in stamina that will help you in the long run. Better yet get a friend that wants to do it with you and trade off during these workouts. You don't know bow long the other person is running hard for but you need to keep up with them. Keeps it interesting. Pm me if you need some help. This coming from a guy who hasn't missed a day in over 11 years and has some pretty good times (used to compete on a national level).

I just started walking a 5 K, 5 nights a week and it takes me 48 min. According to this I have a long ways to go.

A fatty working to get skinny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just started walking a 5 K, 5 nights a week and it takes me 48 min. According to this I have a long ways to go.

A fatty working to get skinny. </div></div>
At least your on the way, Good luck keep it up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just started walking a 5 K, 5 nights a week and it takes me 48 min. According to this I have a long ways to go.

A fatty working to get skinny. </div></div>
At least your on the way, Good luck keep it up </div></div>

Been at it for 3 weeks and its getting better. I have 40 lbs to loose. Running is out of the question till I get some weight off.

What is your goal? I used to be a runner from my Army days and I don't run distances like I used to, but do sprints instead as part of the CrossFit workouts. I still run a mile in 6 minutes and enjoy it better than doing those monotonous 40-60 minute runs. I actually do strength training also and for my cardio days, I just do CrossFit workouts, which generally take from 5-15 minutes. Unless you are training for some races or just want to run for 30-60 minutes, I'd check out some of the CrossFit run based WODs for you cardio days. I should have a list of some CrossFit running WODs if you need them.

Right now my goal is to run a half marathon, and I'm also kicking around the idea of a half IronMan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now my goal is to run a half marathon, and I'm also kicking around the idea of a half IronMan. </div></div>

I'd mix it ups with everything. Do some CrossFit run WODs or sprints and run different distances. You may also want to check out CrossFitEndurance, which is designed for that. The CrossFit site that I follow, the owner used to be a marathon runner and he couldn't break the 3 hour mark until he started doing CrossFit. I know a couple of other guys that it helped with their times also.

Like everyone said, your age height and weight and your physical condition determines what you're doing. Are you aiming for cardio or weight loss? To give you an idea I run around 2 miles in 14 minutes and I consider it cardio because my heart rate stays pretty high.

If you're aiming for endurance then don't focus on the time so much as your form. Long strides at a pace you can maintain the entire distance you're running.

Also for cardio and endurance training, try walking 2 minutes and sprinting 1 minute and repeat.

Hope that helps

www.nikeplus.com has a relatively simple distance training program you can use and it works pretty well. I used it for the Flying Pig 1/2 marathon and finished in the top 10% (first time.) I'm now training for the Honolulu marathon in December. For burning fat you first have to exhaust the glycogen in your blood and on average it takes about 20 minutes or so. If you run at a higher pace for shorter periods it is good for speed training and some cardio benefit. For fat reduction you need more miles/minutes. Of course, any exercise in conjunction with other physical fitness and diet can result in reduced overall body fat by expending more calories than consuming, providing you don't put your body into starvation mode and reduce your metabolism. Once you get into running miles on a regular basis it becomes addictive. It's a pretty cool experience to run in an organized event, the crowd of 5 or 6 thousand people becomes a force of its' own.

If you run for less than 20 minutes, it's a warm-up for another exercise (i.e. powerlifting, football, etc.) If your time running exceeds 20 minutes it becomes a cardio workout by it's own rights.

So, if you're running to run, try and get up around 1/2 hour regardless of pace as long as you are never walking.

Remember to stretch both before and after, and actually, stretch when you wake up in the morning and before you go to bed at night too, you'd be surprised how much that will help with recovery time and speed. Don't push when you're stretching, pain doesn't mean your improving, pain means your tearing something. Static and Dynamic stretching both have their place, try to do a bit of both, but don't push it.