• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Running a 1-4/1-6 on an angled mount?

mluning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Houston Texas USA
First off, I feel that this post is more appropriate here than over in the optics section since it's related to the semi-auto world.

Awhile back I remember reading somewhere that running a mount like the LaRue SPR-S 10 MOA mount or American Defense 20 MOA mount will not work with a 1.x-whatever scope, especially if it's not a true 1x. Is this correct?

I don't have much experience with 1-x powered scopes and I'm looking to pick up a SWFA SS 1-6 and trying it out. I just want to make sure I pick up the right mount beforehand.

Re: Running a 1-4/1-6 on an angled mount?

What caliber are you shooting and how far do you plan to shoot it.

It's not necessary. As long as the scope has enough elevation adjustment it won't hurt anything either.

It is true 1-X scopes will perform optimally when optically centered; a 20 MOA mount takes them away from that center. David S gave a good explanation of the reasons why in a post a while back.

In practical terms, what you'll notice is the view on 1X is "less friendly" with 20 MOA of elevation cranked in. When viewing with both eyes open, even if a very true 1X gives the same size of image, the image won't be in the right place, so to speak, and you'll tend to see a double image instead of one unified image.

The effect will vary from scope to scope, of course, depending upon the optical design. The 1-4X SS, for example, is about the most forgiving I've seen with such a huge "sweet spot" optically that it'll be hard to notice the difference. On the 1-6X, it is more noticeable so I definitely recommend a flat mount for that scope. It has enough elevation travel you can shoot well beyond 1000 yds with pretty much anything and not run out of travel on a flat mount so there's no need for a sloped one.

Don't get me wrong, the scope will still function on a sloped mount. If most of your shooting is 50+ yds away with the scope on the higher powers you'll never notice a problem. It's only on 1X where you expect to see one matching image with both eyes open you'll notice they don't match up as well as they could. Since you never expect such a matching image out of a higher power scope (1.5X or more on the bottom end) it's really not an issue as you need to "train your brain" to be focused on the right image.

The advantage of a 1X is not having to do that, getting a single image making the scope look like an empty tube. A sloped mount makes that a bit more difficult for the scope to provide.

Thanks Jon for the helpful reply!

It'll be going on a .223/5.56 and I don't plan on shooting past 600m, so I think I'll be good on elevation.