• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Running a ATACR 4-16X42 on a 16 Geissele Super Duty

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
I had planned to run a NF NX8 1-8 but ran into the aforementioned scope for a great deal. I’m going to try on my 16incher and see how hefty it will feel. Anybody try this scope on an AR?
PB

No but the obvious weight and difference between 1x and 4, on an AR CAR means buying twice may not be a bargain.

20200521_193420.jpg

I ran the above (minus the bipod) at a two gun team match and down on 6X the MIL-R reticle was still usable on mid-range targets and I had offset sights for targets 50 and in. Plus size but capable.

I think the ATACR 4-16x with a Geissele Super Duty 16" is a good pairing. Especially with the 42mm objective lens. Seems to fit to me. You might be over scoped, but who cares. I like the smaller objective on a 16" rifle, and 16x is about what you want with that rifle. While the ATACR 1-8x is one of my all time favorite go-to scopes, the 16" Super Duty will want more than 8x, but not more than 20x.

Reactions: T-dog
I use my 4-16x42 on my LMT MRP and it makes for a great setup. Heft is subjective because of the gym variable. …but it isn’t unwieldy.

Reactions: camocorvette
I have a 6-24x50 on a 22lr, so maybe I’m not the right guy to ask, but I’d say use what makes you happy. Too much magnification has never been an issue for me. If a threat is close enough that they are a blurry blob in the scope, I’ll just shoot the blurry blob. But, I’ve also found that I may be the only person in the world that can shoot a magnified optic with both eyes open. At least, that is the impression that I get reading this forum.

Did a run and gun a few weeks ago. There was a “shoot house” stage; about 1/2 pistol then transition to rifle for the remainder. Targets were at what Peter Capstick would call “halitosis range,” presented with no-shoots. This is the only time I have ever shot in a “shoot house“ type environment. I put all of the required holes in the ’shoot’ targets, and avoided all of the no-shoots. My time was top 10 of the 50(ish) entrants. Looked down after the stage and my 1-8 was set at about 4 power. This is not to say I am some shooting guru. Just to say that the “downsides” to a magnified optic for short range shooting are way overblown.

I think it’s the perfect scope for a good shooting AR. I had a NF 1-8 on this rifle, but switched to the 4-16. When reaching out to touch long distance steel, or yotes, nothing like having a bit more magnification.

Attachments

• 873BF86D-FCDB-4E5F-8CF9-CD5101614FFE.jpeg
    873BF86D-FCDB-4E5F-8CF9-CD5101614FFE.jpeg
    853.7 KB · Views: 138
I agree with several mothers above. That scope will be awesome on that rifle. I run the MK5 3-18 on my Geissele SD 16” and love it.

Reactions: Pappasniper
But, I’ve also found that I may be the only person in the world that can shoot a magnified optic with both eyes open. At least, that is the impression that I get reading this forum.
I'm surprised at the number of people that don't shoot with both eyes open. I decided to figure it out when I was shooting 3 gun and it carried over in to everything else, can't imagine not doing it now.

I was shooting this weekend and found myself trying to relax my eyes and entire body and opening both eyes and several times squeezed one off with both eyes open. I shoot like that from time to time. Sometimes I feel I need to close both eyes, other times nope.

PB

for you guys that own a superduty. what is the story on the trigger. i know it’s a G trigger but how does it compare to a G SSA, which is what i run. is it a cheaper version or better. i doubt more expensive.

PB