• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Running a suppressor on a DPMS SASS with or without gas regulation

HAZORD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2013
SW Idaho
I have a good friend that is selling a DPMS SASS (AR-10 clone) heavy barrel 308. I'm considering buying it, but I will want to run a Surefire or Gemtec suppressor on it. I know that the LaRue tactical AR-10 has a gas adjustment valve on the gas block, but I can't find any such system with the DPMS. For those of you that run AR-10 style rifles, are you having a problem with too much gas blowback when using a suppressor? Does anyone know of an adjustable gas block that can be installed on the DPMS if it is needed?

Depending on the barrel profile I'd use either a Syrac Gen 2 or SLR adjustable gas block.... I have a Syrac on my MATEN 308 which is a DPMS LR-308 platform rifle...... I would definitely use one if running Suppressed....AR10's are already hard on the action.... Even if unsuppressed you will be happy on how it will tame recoil.

Just noticed you put heavy barrel.... Really need to know the profile to suggest a AGB. The ones I mentioned only come in two different profiles but are coming out with AGB's for heavier profile barrels. Either way, no matter the brand, I'd highly recommend one.

Last edited:
I prefer an adjustable block on ALL suppressed large-frame semi-autos because it really helps not just with blowback, but with optimizing the rifle's performance overall in many different aspects.

Skip the JP adjustable blocks...its an old and outdated design and not one that is terribly well-suited to the back-and-forth adjustments you'll want to make going from shooting suppressed to unsuppressed. It was really designed as more of a set it, lock it down with loctite and forget it system thanks to the lack of any locking mechanism to "fix" the adjustment screw in place once you have it dialed in.

The SLR Rifleworks click/detent adjustable gas block is the best around in that size (0.936" for your SASS barrel's journal) at this time (perhaps until Syrac gets their new blocks on the market which will, hopefully, be offered in larger sizes in addition to their 0.625" and 0.750" models). You'll need a straight gas tube and the block itself, but it should work well with your SASS.