• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Running and Knees

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
I spent 25 years between the RA and NG. Most of my time on jump status hanging around PT nuts. My fellow officers use to harass me because I wasn't a runner.

I've always believed that Extended Road Marches with a ruck was more effective in keeping in shape for soldiers. I could hold my own with the best of them when it came to slinging a pack and taking off across country or cross country skiing (which we did a lot of).

Fast forward several years. I just had one of my old NG buddies visit so I could take him antelope hunting. He couldnt walk much, needs a knee replacement. He was a runner. In talking about all our other comrades, seems like all the runners have knee problems. Those like me, don't.

Now I'm not saying I couldnt run, I've never had any problems with a PT test, even maxed one when I was in OCS.

But now I'm 63, I can still sling a pack and take off across country. It saddens me to see all my old friends with screwed up knees.

Something you young fellows ought to consider.

Re: Running and Knees

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's exactly why I purchased a road bike...

Josh </div></div>

One investment that pays for itself in a very very short period of time.

Just so happens that cyclocross season is getting underway.

smile.gif

Good point. The girl I run with just bought new shoes that help her run with a mid foot to front foot landing. That is suppose to help your knees. You don't have the heavy impact that you would normaly have with a heel landing.

I've got arthritis in both knees at age 42. I never was a runner. I am overweight (6 foot, 265 lbs), and I'm the heaviest I've ever been right now.

My first problem with it was 10 years ago. Right knee flared up again afew weeks ago. Both orthopedic docs told me the same thing - DON'T RUN. The first question they both asked me - were you a runner in high school/college? They are both of the opinion that the cardio benefits of running do not overcome the damage to your knees - there are better ways to get the cardio.

Now I get to lose weight, take anti-inflamatories, get the occasional corizone shot, and generally try to keep this under control till it's bad enough and I'm old enough for a knee replacement. Not what I thought I'd be hearing at this age.

Sled,
if you are able to do so swimming is probably one of the best cardio exercises you can do and it puts no impact on you're joints. Also as MinorDamage mentioned above a road bike is a really great alternative and much more fun than running.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's exactly why I purchased a road bike...

Josh </div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div>

Courage- Ive read a lil bit about this Cyclocross stuff...how do you like it and is it pretty costly to get into??

One morsel of advice is Don't believe an Army doc that says "It's alright, your knees are just wearing in a new grove and heres a bag of Motrine"

Its already been said that there are better alternatives to running: elliptical, bike, swimming. But if running is your absolute favorite, it might help to run at an incline. If I set the treadmill to 4 or 5 percent, I don't get shin splints, which might mean its easier on the knees. Anybody know for sure?

I tore an ACL in the Navy, they finally "patched it up" four years after the event.
Fast forward ~20 years, I finally had to have it replaced; the VA denied me care even though that is my service related disability.
Two items at the top of the short list of don't does from the surgeon - NO running and NO heavy backpacks/weights.
Prevention is a MUCH option than repairs! Problem is some of us learn that the hard way, or too late.

For all the guys that like to run and do other cardio , and have a smart phone. On the android app market there is an app called cardiotrainer. Check it out. It records your route shows split times , talks to you telling speed and distance covered. Its pretty cool check it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's exactly why I purchased a road bike...

Josh </div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div>
that is the exact reason I bought a rode bike. It can be a great endurance event. Last weekend I rode a 75 mile bike ride and my knees didn't hurt but other things did like legs but they get better after a couple of days of rest.

Two thoughts on this running and knees topic:

I heard a similar arguement from a friend while I was working back into shape in my late 30's. I just wanted to be able to run for 30mins and was told "you'll ruin your knees"...50 pounds and 1 year later after working up to a 30 minute run my knees are pretty damn happy taking a '30 minute beating' instead of a constant 260 lbs.

My favorite comes from a buddy who, upon sticking 1/2 a can of cope in his lip, theorized the following during a good ole tequilla drunk. "I don't go to the doc. I contribute money to medical research figuring that they will catch up to me before everything else does"

Summary: Being a fat body is hell on your joints, and medical science is probably going to have all kinds of stuff figured out 10 or 15 years from now.

The effects of running on knee joints is a source of widely varied opinions in the athletic and orthopedic arenas. I believe, based on experience and discussions with numerous orthopedic surgeons, that running in and of itself is not unhealthy for knees. The problem is that running will almost without fail, exacerbate any problems that already exist with the joint. I have seen this occur in many runners. It is made even worse by the fact that many runners are addicted to running and do not rest their knees and stop running when they are on the verge of having a problem. This pushes them over the edge in almost every case. I completely disagree that the negative orthopedic effects of running outweigh the positive cardiovascular effects - provided your knees are not compromised to begin with.

Daily pt of running on the road has left me with serious knee and shin issues that flair up if I do lots of running (ie more than the fitness test a day).

But since ive taken up swimming and using a road bike, ive had almost no issues with my legs and my cardio is better than when I was running.

Contrary the popular belief of various corporals’… you cant “quit bitching and just run it out”

Nate.

Ran 5 miles a day(except Sundays) for years, was running a 6.5 minute mile average for the five miles when I cut back. I cut back to 2.5 because my left knee was getting to where I could not run through the pain any longer. I theorize that it was due to a combination of the motorcycle wreck that took the skin off that knee, plus the 5 mile a day pace I was keeping. Then it started acting up after 2.5 miles per day, so I quit and started cross country hiking with a pack. Have been doing that for a few years now, with zero issues. I can still run right with or past my teenage cross country track star daughter, but I stick with the ruck for regular exercise. I am still at the same weight I was as an avid runner, so I guess it works. If I had it to do all over, I would have never run on a daily basis, and would have taken up the pack as a routine years earlier.

I used to run a lot, but about 15 years something happened that changed all that.

I quit doing the crap that got me chased.

But seriously, I tried to start running a few months ago, but the partial tear I forgot about in my right knee reminded me of its presence.

20 years ago I was running about 50 miles a week. An ankle injury cut that out for good. since then I only ran the 2 miles for my annual PT test. I would do bike and elliptical when it came out for cardio.
My dad ran forever. He quit at age 76 because of knee pain, now he walks. At 85 he walks 2-3 miles a day.
Cardio is good. Being able to sprint with your flack and a 60lb ruck is important for the young guys on duty. For old guys like most of us running is only good if you like it. Even then you may end up injured from it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sled,
if you are able to do so swimming is probably one of the best cardio exercises you can do and it puts no impact on you're joints. Also as MinorDamage mentioned above a road bike is a really great alternative and much more fun than running. </div></div>

+1 for swimming but riding a bike around here on the streets of Phoenix can get you killed right quick unless you mountain bike the local trails, away from traffic.

Unfortunately, I'm almost in the same sad state as sled is right now, partially due to the sedentary office job I have had for the last 2 years. I used to be on my feet all day and worked outdoors but my metabolism just shut down from sitting on my ass all day on the phone and turning 40 didn't help. Damaged knees and significant hearing loss in my left ear ended my budding LE career years ago. Nevertheless, I did work out daily and was heavily involved in just about every type of ocean activity in S. California but moving to Phoenix ten years ago pretty much ended that. No water = no activity = became a disgusting fat body running...er, waddling from one air conditioned building to another. Summer sucks here.

I'm a wreck now, LOL. If anything, I believe this post has given me a little hope and inpiration in getting off my fat butt and finding a gym with a lap pool.

My knees have north of 50K miles of running on them, >20 years averaging over 2000 miles per year. High of 4100 miles, will hit about 3100 this year. I used to run seriously enough to take a couple unsuccessful stabs at making the olympic trials. As a result, I know a ton of former runners ranging from 40s to 70s in age.

From this dozens of runners who put several fold more miles running on their knees than any soldier could claim to, running in and of itself is NOT damaging to the knees. To the contrary, if you start with an uninjured knee there are studies that show running promotes circulation to the joint and can actually put off arthritis. I have known a few people who took up running late that actually found it HELPED their joints.

Now, the exceptions to this are if you have an injury to the joint. You'll do nothing but damage it further by running on it. This is not running's fault, it's continuing to bang on an injury's fault.

Carrying around too much weight like 70% of the US population is harder on your knees. Double-timing with a ruck is way worse on your knees than running. The impact is magnified by these activities. My mother has had both knees replaced in her 50s but she doesn't run at all, but is 100+lbs overweight.

Cycling and swimming are fine activities as well.

singing my song brother, singing my song.......60hr weeks outside doing construction kept the need for fitness as an acticity off my radar until the economy crashed and I've been on my ass for 2 yrs, then there's that whole 40+ thing.
I gotta start doing something, at least its started to cool down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">60hr weeks outside doing construction kept the need for fitness as an acticity off my radar until the economy crashed and I've been on my ass for 2 yrs, then there's that whole 40+ thing.</div></div>

Ain't it a grand time to be in the trades
laugh.gif

When I was working steady, pounds would fall off without my even knowing it. Now, with my "flexible" schedule, weight control and overall conditioning take a purposeful place in my awareness. Let's just say that my calorie burn rate has changed just a bit.

As my weight increases, so does my knee pain.

...must just be a coincidence...

I got a ton of crap in my academy because I was not a runner. By not a runner I mean long distance. I hyperextended my right knee when I was around 17 and it never felt right. I could sprint and keep up for short distances, but then it would tighten up and that would be the end. This bit me in the ass 10 years later when I developed stress fractures in my left knee while I was in the academy. Never had an issue with shin splints unless my footwear wasnt up to par. New shoes always solved that. Spending time at a gym let me isolate what caused pain. Leg extensions, and curls werent a problem. Leg press made my knees sound like rice crispies with a burning pain in the center. That made them hurt to the point that I stopped all together. Now its 800mg IBUs with morning coffee, weather makes my left knee ache, right knee hurts when I first get up and put weight on it, and partially goes away as the day goes on. I got the strength and muscle above and below, just got problems with the stuff in between.

If you have bad knees and want to get in cardio, you should try the eliptical machine. My dad is going on 46 and he bikes 32 miles a day and does the eliptical machine at night. He is a cardio freak.

Swimming is a great option as well.

Vibram 5 fingers and recognizing that if you want to run - you can not be a heel striker.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vibram 5 fingers and recognizing that if you want to run - you can not be a heel striker.

Good luck </div></div>

Exactly what I was going to say. Majority of long distance runners strike on their forefoot. I can testify that when I changed from a heal strike it made a world of difference. I never have sore knees after a 20+ mile run now. The other thing is running on a trail has less impact than the road, plus its more enjoyable to not be staring at pavement the whole time haha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vibram 5 fingers and recognizing that if you want to run - you can not be a heel striker.

Good luck </div></div>

A friend of mine got these a few months ago, and he was never really the athletic type up until about 2 years or so ago when he started swimming. He's always been a little heavy,and never a runner. He now swears by these. Said at first it was hard but they force you to change how you run. I'm thinking of picking up a pair next paycheck.