• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Running FFP on SPR

FredHammer

FAFOIST
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2006
    CONUS
    So, researching the SPR 0-800yd rig and totally get the FFP for the long yardages, but what about the short range where the reticle isn't visible, like 3-6X? 45 degree red dot or something? (Or something in reference to the MRE heater instructions lol)

So, researching the SPR 0-800yd rig and totally get the FFP for the long yardages, but what about the short range where the reticle isn't visible, like 3-6X? 45 degree red dot or something? (Or something in reference to the MRE heater instructions lol)
    Rds for close objects or great illumination. I gave up and ordered a 2-10 SFP with illumination because the illumination isn’t needed as much and FFP isn’t a requirement in the 2-10 range for me. Compromised

Rds for close objects or great illumination. I gave up and ordered a 2-10 SFP with illumination because the illumination isn’t needed as much and FFP isn’t a requirement in the 2-10 range for me. Compromised
    Ok, the illumination would make it better to see a FFP reticle at low mag, I just like SFP where I can find my reticle in a nano second and suffer a little with wind calls at 800. More important to shoot those threats up close. N stuff.

Look into scopes with purpose built designed FFP reticles that are easy to see on their lowest magnification such as the Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50/56 and 4.5-27x50 specifically with MRAD1 (Koshkin/DLO designed) reticle with the Donut in the center and also several models of Primary Arms with their FFP reticles with their easy to see FFP center Donut and the Athlon Helos 2-12x42 which has an easy to see FFP Donut reticle on low magnification.

Other than that, just use any good SFP scope with reliable tracking with your favorite reticle and simply dial in for your shots.

Reactions: FredHammer
    Look into scopes with purpose built designed FFP reticles that are easy to see on their lowest magnification such as the Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50/56 and 4.5-27x50 specifically with MRAD1 (Koshkin/DLO designed) reticle with the Donut in the center and also several models of Primary Arms with their FFP reticles with their easy to see FFP center Donut and the Athlon Helos 2-12x42 which has an easy to see FFP Donut reticle on low magnification.

Other than that, just use any good SFP scope with reliable tracking with your favorite reticle and simply dial in for your shots.

If they made a good reticle with the 2-10 Optika5 or 2.5-15 optika6 I would have just gotten one. And please make the turrets shorter like the SFP model. I have some Meoptas and the Optika6 is one of my favorite hunting optic’s especially value wise, but they have some weird reticles and designs.

Reactions: Scopeye
    There’s no free lunch. To me the mag range presents more of an issue for true 0-800yd performance than whether it’s FFP or SFP.

Basically your options are to A. get a LPVO and make the sacrifices on the top end magnification and have a tighter eyebox or B. get a MPVO that does better on higher magnification and piggyback an RMR.

Tree but usable to me on low power.
    I forgot how impressed I was with the Tenmile I demoed. Hmmm Great glass, finish, and stereo dial feel of the controls...Gonna check the Credo line vs the Tenmile. Thanks!

There’s no free lunch. To me the mag range presents more of an issue for true 0-800yd performance than whether it’s FFP or SFP.

Basically your options are to A. get a LPVO and make the sacrifices on the top end magnification and have a tighter eyebox or B. get a MPVO that does better on higher magnification and piggyback an RMR.
    The whole clamor I'm seeing for an MVPO that works at low power and high power reminds me a little bit of soccer moms and golf dads utterly ruining the SUV/light truck market because they wanted a car like driving experience.

If you're shooting mostly at long range, get a 2-10. If you're shooting mostly at short range, get an LVPO. If you HAVE to do both (I think a lot more people think they do than actually do) then this is the answer.

2-10/3-18/4-20 with a red dot piggy backed.

This is more a scope/reticle design problem more so than a focal plane issue.

Some shit on the Msr/msr2 and some others for being thick 20x+. The mpvo is ripe for some non shitty offerings that can be used at off-hand magnification ranges

I use the Primary Arms GLx 4-16x50. It has the ACSSHUD DMR .308 reticule, and is visible at the lower end of the power spectrum.
    The aiming point, a horseshoe shaped "donut of death" illuminates, so that helps.
    Being a PA makes it affordable ($800) and I've not been disappointed by the quality of the glass.

IMG_2872 - Internet Copy.JPG

SFP shouldn’t even be considered IMO. FFP with offset red dot is the way. Pick whatever magnification you like, but 4-16 / 3-18 seems to be the ticket. With a little practice, you’ll run it about 99% as hard as any SBR red dot setup close in, but dominate it at distance.

Reactions: simonp
    I use the Primary Arms GLx 4-16x50. It has the ACSSHUD DMR .308 reticule, and is visible at the lower end of the power spectrum.
    The aiming point, a horseshoe shaped "donut of death" illuminates, so that helps.
    Being a PA makes it affordable ($800) and I've not been disappointed by the quality of the glass.

View attachment 8226286
    I must ask, how do you shoot that rig with the scope mounted so far back? Typically the ocular is in line, or a hair forward of the charging handle. I remember touching my nose to charging handle shooting irons on M16A2.

Reactions: simonp
    I must ask, how do you shoot that rig with the scope mounted so far back? Typically the ocular is in line, or a hair forward of the charging handle. I remember touching my nose to charging handle shooting irons on M16A2.
    Just seems to work for me. I will say that I have adjusted my shooting style over the years. When I first went in (M16-A1) we shot more of a Weaver stance style with the rifle across the body. (nose almost touching as you said) I shoot this SPR more like a bolt gun, where I'm squared off behind it. My face ends up a lot closer to the ass end of the stock, so the scope needs to come back, especially with the A2 stock.

Old photo by the way. the forward grip not there now, but a tripod rail.

IF I was going to piggyback a redot on scope. It probably wouldn't be a 2-10. Why limit the top end and if you're not using the low end mag of the scope...

Reactions: xxflyingturtlexx
    IF I was going to piggyback a redot on scope. It probably wouldn't be a 2-10. Why limit the top end and if you're not using the low end mag of the scope...
    Yup, no sense doubling up on the short end. RDS for close, and a 15-18X top end.

I would agree for the most part, unless you're thinking of using a clip on, which is part of the "SPR" concept with the full length rail. 2x on the low end seems to be your friend there, more than 3x or 4x. Someday, once I've got suppressors for all my favorite guns, I'll be saving up for a clip on, but I imagine most of us with an "SPR" aren't rocking clip ons.

So, for 99% of people with an SPR type rifle I see few if any reasons to not go with 15-18x top end for magnification with a piggy back RDS.

I would agree for the most part, unless you're thinking of using a clip on, which is part of the "SPR" concept with the full length rail. 2x on the low end seems to be your friend there, more than 3x or 4x. Someday, once I've got suppressors for all my favorite guns, I'll be saving up for a clip on, but I imagine most of us with an "SPR" aren't rocking clip ons.

So, for 99% of people with an SPR type rifle I see few if any reasons to not go with 15-18x top end for magnification with a piggy back RDS.
    What do you mean by "clip on"?

What do you mean by "clip on"?

Night vision unit that mounts forward of your day time optic so you don't have to swap uppers/optics for night hunting. The whole advantage of the PRI handguard and monolithic rail was for having a continuous pic rail where the clip on would be centered in front of the optic and not shift.

Night vision unit that mounts forward of your day time optic so you don't have to swap uppers/optics for night hunting. The whole advantage of the PRI handguard and monolithic rail was for having a continuous pic rail where the clip on would be centered in front of the optic and not shift.
    Oh you fancy fucks! :ROFLMAO:

I use a razor LHT 4.5-22x on mine. Lightweight with good glass and mag range. Simpler and thicker reticle with brighter illumination than the other vortex’s I’ve had.

Weaver 2-10x36 Tactical FFP mil/mil I believe 20 or 21 oz. Midway says 23.5 I might have to weigh a couple.

Vortex Razor LH 2-10x40

Bushnell lrhs/lrts

I don't piggy back red dots and use the low end. I like 2-10 scopes. I dont feel like i am giving up much with the 3-12 lrtsi I have on one now. I haven't went out calling coyotes with it though.