• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Running out of windage

jbaldwin

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
New Bern ,NC
Nightforce rings and rail and all torqued to spec. Mark 4 scope and came up 3 full revs of windaged to the right. WHY and HELP. Rifle is a 700 custom 280AI that has had scope mounted on different rings and mounts

Re: Running out of windage

fuzzy
I am having a similar problem with a rifle right now. I am using cheap bases and MK 4 rings. Not sure if its right but I reversed on ring and it put the reticle slightly more the direction I needed.
Someone more knowledgable can problem explain whats actually causing the problem.

dgwelsh

Was the reticle centered when you mounted it? Is it centered now? Maybe you don't have a problem at all. How much windage you you have left? On the other hand, I've seen R700's with the mounting holes for the base drilled parallel but off-center.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgwelsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am using cheap bases and MK 4 rings. Not sure if its right but I reversed on ring and it put the reticle slightly more the direction I needed.</div></div>It's not right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fuzzytail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce rings and rail and all torqued to spec. Mark 4 scope and came up 3 full revs of windaged to the right. WHY and HELP. Rifle is a 700 custom 280AI that has had scope mounted on different rings and mounts </div></div>

If everything is torqued down properly as you say and otherwise mounted correctly, then it could be:

1) a bad base that is not true causing your scope to cant to or sit off to the left of the centerline of the bore;

2) the holes drilled in your rifle's receiver for the base are not drilled straight in terms of alingment with the bore, causing your scope to point left and making it impossible to get zeroed without excessive windage adj. (although it would have to be off a good bit because regardless of which Mk4 scope you are running, you should have at least around 30-35MOA right windage correction from mechanical zero);

3) your Mk4 has taken a dump!

You can try returning everything on the scope to mechanical zero (windage and elevation) and then rezeroing the rifle to see if it fixes the problem. Like Graham said, it might not be as far off as you think.

15 clicks and I run out of windage. Scope was centered before mounting and rifle had leupold vx3 on before and leupold rings and mounts. Everything was fine with that set up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fuzzytail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">15 clicks and I run out of windage. Scope was centered before mounting and rifle had leupold vx3 on before and leupold rings and mounts. Everything was fine with that set up.

</div></div>

I would be willing to bet that it is most likely your scope then. 15 "clicks" on most Mk4 models equates to only around 4MOA (again...on most models) so that's not going to work!

Can you grab the VX3 you had on it previously an mount it in your current setup and see if the problem resolves. If it does, then you know it is your current Mk4 that is bad. If you have the same problem with the VX3, then the problem is within the rings/base somewhere.

If it IS the scope, at least the Mk4 has a lifetime warranty. Send it back to Leupold and tell them what the problems you are having, what you have done to ensure it is not anything else in your setup, and that you want it repaired or a new one per the warranty.

Three revolutions is 45 MOA of windage? That's excessive, if not impossible. You could have a custom base made with the holes in the base drilled off-center to compensate, but because you're running a Leupy I would first try another scope. Take the scope off or set up a boresighter, center the reticle, then see how much windage you really get when you adjust it.

Hey Fuzzy, sorry to kind of hijack your thread. again I am having
the same problem.

Grahm, is there a reason not to reverse one set of rings?