• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Russian Sunar .308 powder load data

tbirdammo

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2022
AZ, USA
Just curious, has anyone had any experience with Russian Sunar powder for loading .308. Been offered some on a great deal. Will work ballistics with the chronograph, but always great to have a helping hand to begin with and have data to compare with. Any info welcome. Thanks.,

Just curious what does the burn rate compare to on known powders like 4064/Varget/416??
Hey dude, I have been told it should be comparable to 4895. Got pop a few to find out. I am going to load some 7.62x54 for my Mosin and see how that goes first. Will update as I progress.

I believe Sunar is labeled as a shotgun powder ,mostly 12 and 16 gauge . I have no clue if it's safe in a rifle . I would be very careful if you can not find published data . Good luck , please post your findings .

Last edited:
I believe Sunar is labeled as a shotgun powder ,mostly 12 and 16 gauge . I have no clue if it's safe in a rifle . I would be very careful if you can not find published data . Good luck , please post your findings .
Thanks for your take on this. The powder we have is extruded and similar to 4895 only slightly different color. Definitely not shot powder. Much slower burning. I loaded 43 grains in the 7.62 x 54 and it shot well. Didn't have the chronograph up though so no data to pass on. As I mentioned before, it seems like Russian powders are sold specifically for a caliber. Doesnt seem like many over there play around with different powder / projectile combinations. Maybe limited selection of projos available at reasonable cost, not sure.

Thanks for your take on this. The powder we have is extruded and similar to 4895 only slightly different color. Definitely not shot powder. Much slower burning. I loaded 43 grains in the 7.62 x 54 and it shot well. Didn't have the chronograph up though so no data to pass on. As I mentioned before, it seems like Russian powders are sold specifically for a caliber. Doesnt seem like many over there play around with different powder / projectile combinations. Maybe limited selection of projos available at reasonable cost, not sure.
I thought about that afterwards , remembering you mentioned 4895 . Good to hear you have tested it safely .