• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rust on Blued barrel

houghtonsurvival

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2011
Michigan
www.houghtonsurvival.com
Hey,

I just noticed that my Marlin 795 has rust on the barrel after only 10 days of owning it (I got it brand new from the gun shop.) Any ideas if this is something that I should talk to Marlin about or should I just take it off myself with some #000 and oil?

The only reason I am asking is because I am worried that it could be a more serious issue down the line.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Re: Rust on Blued barrel

Oil and #0000 would be best. Humidity and the environment can rust steel, even blued steel in mere minutes or hours in the right conditions. Nothing wrong with the gun. Just make sure the entire gun is oiled well, including the areas usually covered by the stock that you can't see.

Most vintage guns have so much oil soaked into the pores of the metal they are pretty resistant to rust. New guns have the limited coat of oil from the factory and aren't well 'seasoned' yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most vintage guns have so much oil soaked into the pores of the metal they are pretty resistant to rust. New guns have the limited coat of oil from the factory and aren't well 'seasoned' yet. </div></div>

Makes plenty of sense. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used blue wonder with great success on removing rust from blued firearms.

http://www.bluewonder.us/ </div></div>

Thank, but the 795 is blued (I still am trying to figure out what that means) and I am not too sure if I want to take the blue off. Which product do you use to keep the blue but get the rust off? Would you suggest removing the blue entirely?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CnC1018</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flitz and soft cloth...it also leaves an invisible film like wax that protects </div></div>

Good to know! I have never heard of Flitz. I will have to coat the thing in it! Thanks!

I think CnC was only suggesting to use Flitz for removing the rust, not as generally applied metal protector.

Bluing is essentially just normal red rust (FeO2), that is converted to FeO3 which has the black color we call "bluing". We blue guns because it looks nice, and because it essentially pits the metal and creates microscopic pockets to hold oil on the surface of the metal. The bluing itself does nothing to protect against rust, it's ability to hold oil is what makes it more rust resistant.

Parkerizing is yet another way to treat metal, and it creates even larger pockets to hold the oil. That's why most military weapons are parkerized, they are subjected to extreme outdoor conditions they need as much oil holding ability as they can get.

Here's a link about bluing; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: houghtonSurvival</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used blue wonder with great success on removing rust from blued firearms.

Thank, but the 795 is blued (I still am trying to figure out what that means) and I am not too sure if I want to take the blue off. Which product do you use to keep the blue but get the rust off? Would you suggest removing the blue entirely? </div></div>

I'm thinking you must have either misread my post or didn't understand the link I posted. Blue Wonder removes rust while leaving a blued surface intact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: houghtonSurvival</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used blue wonder with great success on removing rust from blued firearms.

Thank, but the 795 is blued (I still am trying to figure out what that means) and I am not too sure if I want to take the blue off. Which product do you use to keep the blue but get the rust off? Would you suggest removing the blue entirely? </div></div>

I'm thinking you must have either misread my post or didn't understand the link I posted. Blue Wonder removes rust while leaving a blued surface intact. </div></div>

I think it is just a lack of knowledge and ignorance on my part. Thanks for the clarification!

The reasons new, less expensive guns that are blued rust quicker nowadays is because the bluing chemicals, and process the companies use anymore is shitty. A Colt, Smith, Weatherby, Winchester, Remington in the 1970's - no such foolishness.

The reasons new, less expensive guns that are blued rust quicker nowadays is because the bluing chemicals, and process the companies use anymore is below standard. A former Colt, Smith, Weatherby, Winchester, Remington in the 1970's - no such foolishness.

Technology is improved but skilled craftsmanship is not valued by the companies as it once was, instead replaced by CNC, etc. which is nice to a point but it can't inspect itself such as tool marks. My point is no revolver seems to be as smooth any more than an old N frame or a Python. I don't have the answers, but I have some suspicions.

Another alternative to Flitz is to wipe the surface with a silicon cloth. It removes fingerprints and leaves a film of silicon.