• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rust on new uppers.

Nepa1990

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2021
USA
I bought 2 upper receiver groups from BCM awhile ago. A 16” middy, and an 11.5” carbine. I wiped the outsides down when they arrived (they come soaked in G96). Wrapped them in their bubble wrap, and stowed them in a big plastic storage tote where I keep spare parts/build parts. Probably not the smartest idea, but it wasn’t supposed to be long term.

Anyways, I’m assembling the lowers for them this weekend. I just pulled them out And noticed a light coating on rust on the roll pins, dust cover, and gas block screws. The barrels look fine, as well as the gas blocks themselves (still a light coat of oil on them).

Is this going to be of any harm? I’m considering pulling the handguards and replacing the gas block screws. I doubt that would be fun, but I hate seeing rust on brand new guns. These upper groups were $800 a piece. Another thing, I did put a good drop of ALG go-juice oil on each gas block screw. If I choose not to replace them, is this oil going to creep down the threads and compromise the threadlocker they use at the factory?

Thanks yall. I feel like an idiot, one of those things where you should have known better.

I doubt you are ever going to run into a problem because of it. It’s probably barely even surface rust. If you want, take the handguard off and hit the areas with some oil and steel wool. Should come right off.

Oil and a toothbrush. I use brass sometimes. Surface rust happens sometimes, especially in wet climates.

Next time use a light coat and something to wick the water out of the air and/or something to keep the temperature and parts about 10deg. above ambient so water doesn't condense (like a goldenrod in a safe). Don't wrap in plastic unless you cosmoline the the shit out of 'em first.