• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! removal?

usmc1488

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2012
Camp Lejeune
OK guys I some how let a 1/8" spot of rust creep into the receiever of my GAP M40. I clean it after every range, its coated with frog lube, not sure what I did wrong. Any way, I cant seem to rid the area of the cancer. Ive tried Boretech, CLP, and WD-40 rust remover with zero luck. Ideas??? Im embarrased, hopefully you guys can help!

Soaking the rust spot in Kroil then some very fine steel wool should take care of it as long as it's just a little surface rust.

Remove with 000 steel wool and break free. Then treat with eezox oil on the outside surface. Shouldn't have any more problems after that

I use SiliKroil. After the Kroil is gone it leaves a thin coat of silicone. Just bought a 5 gallon pail $227 plus they give you a free spray can of any other product & free shipping. Love the smell.

I use corrosion X and a piece of croker sack also known as burlap, I used to have a stash of 0000 brass wool, I have not been able to find any for years. Some guys over on rimfire central also came up with a great product. Remember guns have but two enemies , RUST and POLITICIANS. very best

My suggestion would be to take that specific area back to steel, then clean it well with carburetor cleaner. Get some Birchwood-Casey cold blue, and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Then, when you've got it reblued right, soak that area in motor oil for 24 hours (always has worked for me). I think it might have something to do with the motor oil soak, but my cold blues have never re-rusted.

0000 steel wool and clp worked. Now what do I do about preventing it again? The areas the bolt contacts inside the receiver and the where the rust was is bare metal. Keep using clp? Or something else to protect? Never had this issue with my M14 clones, M4 clone, or Garand. Ie just the bolt gun. Tips?

Brownells has a stainless steel wool for that. It will not remove the blueing

0000 steel wool and clp worked. Now what do I do about preventing it again? The areas the bolt contacts inside the receiver and the where the rust was is bare metal. Keep using clp? Or something else to protect? Never had this issue with my M14 clones, M4 clone, or Garand. Ie just the bolt gun. Tips?

Eezox is excellent for rust prevention, and does not leave a greasy feel to the protected parts. There was a test of several different products years back and Eezox owned everything else in preventing rust. That's the reason I bought it in the first place. It does have a very distinct smell.

I was going to suggest the steel wool, and oil as well, but it looks like you have it under control. Another great product for prevention is a bit of Rigs Gun Grease, doesn't evaporate, and stays where you put it.

My suggestion would be to take that specific area back to steel, then clean it well with carburetor cleaner. Get some Birchwood-Casey cold blue, and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Then, when you've got it reblued right, soak that area in motor oil for 24 hours (always has worked for me). I think it might have something to do with the motor oil soak, but my cold blues have never re-rusted.

You definitely should do something like this to coat the area. A Duracoat or Cerakote job on all metal would be cooler...

I have used both Kroil and Barricade by Birchwood Casey. Lately Barricade has been my choice for preventive maintenance. I have had my 11-87 in the saltwater marshes for ducks many, many days. The Barricade has worked wonders for keeping the metal clean.