• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing RV Battery replacements?

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
Not sure where to ask this, so I’m taking a shot at this being the right forum/place.

have a toy hauler and will need new batteries soon. It’s a Forest River Vengence, if that matters.

I also need to install an inverter to run a CPAP that I use since Iraq

Any recommendations on batteries to get? To avoid?

Inverters? 750W should do all I need.

6v in series, and then the next upgrade is lithiums. New trailer we got came with lithiums and they are bad ass.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
No no no, that reputation took a dive when the went outside of the USA
Northstar, Deka are amongst the top echelon
Optima and Northstar are both owned by the same company EnerSys

sorry I had sad not true stuff there. . It is oddessy batteries not optima.

Last edited:
You want deep cycle batteries they will take a longer discharge and provide a longer running time. They don't have the cranking power of a starting battery but you don't need that for a toyhauler. As far as an inverter for your cpap I thought the same thing and looked long and hard for an inverter with a full sine wave= shit tons of money. Turns out by looking at my resmed power brick the stupid thing runs on dc power so I got a cord that plugs directly into the cpap and hooks up to a 12 volt battery directly. Inverters waste a lot of power so instead of a battery to inverter to cpap skip the middleman ( the inverter) if possible depending on brand. This thing https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7KPW31/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
works great. As far as battery brand it is hard to beat Interstate. Skip the stupid racing batteries the only thing they have going for them is weight savings. Also go on Amazon and search "car charger for cpap"

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Deka, Trojan....

I'm going to replace the batteries in our toy hauler pretty soon just to go to a larger bank like we had in our other trailer. Unless you make the huge jump to lithium, flooded lead acid is still stable reliable storage. We have a 3kw Xantrex inverter/charger in ours. Most of the new inverters that are worth a shit are in the high 90% efficiency, and when no power is being used they draw very little power. I'm going to try to put the new battery bank in ours in the next few weeks if I get time. Our local RV place stocks the Deka that I looked at. I'd have to drive 2 hours each way to go get the Trojans.

I’ve had good luck with Deka. Look for glass mat technology in any battery. They have lasted much longer for me.

I'm on my 5th year with a pair of Oddesy PC-1500s.
Not RV use, these are in the front hatch of my skiff and they take a beating.

They still take a full charge and have never run out of power, even on a long weekend running the 80lb trolling motor in heavy current.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I'm on my 5th year with a pair of Oddesy PC-1500s.
Not RV use, these are in the front hatch of my skiff and they take a beating.

They still take a full charge and have never run out of power, even on a long weekend running the 80lb trolling motor in heavy current.
I've got the Odysseys in my truck and in all the heavy equipment.

Reactions: Ravenworks
For a simple CPAP device I use a Goal Zero Power Station. Works on plenty of devices, small built in invertor ( pure sine wave), USB ports, input from solar panels, or wall outlet to recharge.

Your current space or other area is going to drive what you can build/use for your needs. Keep reading and gaining info before you buy.

Any deep cycle battery. Most impotant is to get a battery tender, solar or plug in if you can. That will keep your batteries for a long long time

Lithiums. I use medical device ones made Valence. Get them used off eBay. You have to have a Lithium charger : power center though.

Hard to find a good battery, and when you do...the next one may not last. Roll the dice, some good brands mentioned above Odyssey, Trojan etc...Optima are not the same as they used to be a long time ago. I've had bad luck with interstate lately? So...I'm no help

If you are interested in lower cost agm type batteries, VMAX Tanks are a solid choice. I’ve got 2 of their 110 batteries in use with a teardrop trailer and they are outstanding.
Unfortunately, any lead acid cell battery must be monitored and cycled to obtain the best output. You only generally cycle these batteries to around 50% . Draining this type of battery more than this decreases it’s longevity and potential output.
If your budget is more flexible, the best option,IMO are lithium batteries. They are much lighter than comparable lead acid batteries but significantly more expensive.
These type of batteries can be used from 100% to 0% without the damage incurred to lead acid types. Battleborn batteries are highly recommended for this application and are definitely going to be my next battery purchase.