• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RWS lockdown scope mount question for Marlin 795

Gisbo_Falcon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
NE
Has anyone used the Umarex RWS lockdown scope mount with a Marlin 795? If so, which scope did you go with?

Umarex RWS Lockdown 1" Scope Mount Aluminum Black 2300596

I am in the middle of doing a build with a Marlin 795. Using a Boyd Tacticool stock. Wanting to keep the build on the frugal end decided to try the BSA Sweet 22 Scope: BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40 Riflescope Duplex Reticle .22 Caliber with Three Turret Drums 1/4 MOA AO Matte Black along with the above mentioned mount. Two problems. One the scope tube is too short for the mount, where it barrels out towards the end it widens too much to secure the scope to the mount. I had another Simmons 3-9x40 around that was not mounted to anything so I laid it in the mount and it fit fine as the tube is longer, but even though the mount is described as accommodating 1" tubes the top rings still had a very sizable gap when put down (unsure if this is an issue).

Main question is there another inexpensive turret style scope I should be looking at or is the RWS mount the issue here? I got the RWS mount in lieu of drilling and tapping because it was said to reduce any creep with the dove tail mounts.

For reference I had intended to go with the turret style scope to try something new and have fun. Intending to use this Marlin as a paper plinker for fun. I generally use my scoped rifles for hunting purposes and zero them in to make kills which is a different ball game.

Any advice is appreciated.