• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RWS R50sc ammo test

Kisssofdeath

House of Yates
Minuteman
  • May 9, 2018
    Virginia
    Since yesterday got above 40° I thought I'd try out some RWS R-50sc ammo I recently found for $11.99 per box. I bought a brick to start with to try out in several rifles. Below are the test results from yesterday. All rifles were shot with a cold bore, straight from the house to the bench. All rifles were shot with 10 rounds in the mag. All rifles fed and ejected perfect. Photos of all rifles were taken yesterday, as shot.

Best performance was none other than the PB-14R. For those who don't know, the PB-14R is a Bergara B-14R receiver mated to a Shilen 4 groove ratchet barrel. Put together by Mark Penrod. This PB-14R didn't really shine until I put the Harrell tuner on it. I'm still playing with the tuner setting but 75 seems to be the current sweet spot. The first 5 groups was shot with the tuner on 75, the next 5 was on 100 which was a complete turn out.

PB-14R 1-10-21.jpg
    PB-14R RWS R-50sc 1-10-21 .310 and .365 Tuner 75 and 100.jpg

Next best overall performance come from my Anschutz 1710 XLR. It also had the best group of the day with the 9th group shooting .190". The tenth group was a screw up on my part.
    1710 XLR 1-10-21.jpg
    1710 XLR RWS R50sc 1-10-21 .371.jpg

Next was the Tikka T1x with IBI barrel chambered with a 52D reamer. Chambering a round was smooth and easy. It's worth noting again, ejection was perfect.
    T1x IBI 1-10-21.jpg
    T1x IBI RWS R-50sc 1-10-21 .385.jpg

Next best performance was turned in with the CZ 457 with IBI barrel chambered with a Calfee 4 reamer. It's always fun to compare both IBI barrels. The 52D chamber seems to consistently out shoot the Calfee 4 and yesterday was no different. That one bad shot on the 2nd group was just a bad round as the shot felt good to me.

457 IBI 1-10-21.jpg
    457 IBI RWS R-50sc 1-10-21 .397.jpg

Bringing up the rear is the Bergara B-14R with carbon fiber barrel. I am using an experimental muzzle device. The first and second shots were crazy but after than it settled down. Not sure what happened with the 7th group but I couldn't get it together I guess. Just bad shooting on my part. If it was the gun or ammo, other groups would be that bad or close to it.

B-14R CF 1-10-21.jpg
    B-14R CF RWS R50sc 1-10-21 .386.jpg

After all testing and considering the price and availability of ammo at this time I'm going to buy a case of this. Already checked with the seller and it's all the same lot number. For RWS R-50sc, $11.99 a box is a really good deal even when ammo prices were normal.

Reactions: RTH1800
    You don't tune per ammo? Or are you saying 75 was the setting you found best for RWS50? I had different tuner settings for different ammo given the ignition/velocity of different ammos caused different harmonics.

What's your cleaning regimen? After X rounds?

So far 75 has worked the best with every type of ammo I have tried and that would be from Pistol King and Center-X at 1038 to this RWS R 50 sc at 1099 fps.

As for cleaning I'm doing what Mark Penrod suggested and that's 1 wet patch down and out, 2 strokes down and back with a bronze brush and 1 to 2 wet patches down and out and a dry down and out. I do this every 75 to 100 rounds.

I will say this, this is the first barrel I have ever had that will come out with a clean patch after a second series of brushing. For example, after you complete the cleaning as described above, you then run the brush through a couple of times again and the first wet patch after the brush comes out clean.

I wouldn't have believe it if I hadn't done it. Never had a barrel do that, not IBI nor Anschutz or anything else I've owned.

Dang! That's nice!
    Thanks, it's a 2020, bought it last summer. It has the 7.3 gas engine, 10 speed trans and 3.55 with lockers. I'm about finished with the chrome, just looking for one more piece for the tailgate that hasn't been made yet.

My last truck "F-150" lasted exactly 20 years to the month. I'm hoping for 25 out of this one. A couple of things I do want to do is add backup lights, another set of front lights and change out the halogen headlights for LED. Shouldn't be too had as I already have the Upfitter switches.

Hmm, I'll get one of those with my new truck in 25 years. At that time I'll be so old I'll need the seat to get in and out of the truck.

Reactions: runningbear
    I have found that R50 is the most forgiving ammo for weather below 50 degrees. Eley is the worst. I don’t know what RWS does but every gun i have loves R50. That is my 40X, Anschutz 54 and my new CZ457.

In my Vudoo and CZ 457 MTR i have found RWS R100 shots just a little better then the R50. The Lapua Long Range and R 50 shot about the same in both.