• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RWS vs. Fderal match ammo?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I will be shooting in a local .22lr match this weekend. I am looking toward trying some new ammo,because i dont have enough eley to get me throuh this weekend. Local gun store has RWS for 18.99 a box, and Federal match for 12.99 these are pricy for me but thats the choices i have. Has anyone tried any of these,if so which would be better choice????

Re: RWS vs. Fderal match ammo?

Not sure every gun is different, but I have a great shooter with the RWS subsonic. Not much help, but good luck.

When I tested a few weeks ago My CZ grouped Federals at ~ 1moa at 50 yds, the RWS group wasn't as good, but it may have been wind influenced; however, the best it grouped with anything was just under 1moa. I'd try the Federals if I were you.

My old anshutz shoots the RWS better than the Eley, and the Federal. But I got to pick the case and the lot.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to try a box of each if you really want to know...

Got news for you. The 922A Federal is made by RWS. I am not sure exactly which RWS boxed ammo it lines up with but the Federal Ultra Match is R50 If I am not mistaken. Just look where they sell both and compare prices, the twins will be very close in price if not exact. The good thing about using the Federal 922 and Ultra is that you can use the cheaper grades of RWS for practice as they have the same lube.

Each gun is different so you should find what it likes then buy as much of it as you can with the same lot number

There is NO WAY you can predict what ammo any rimfire will like.

Lapua and Eley are a very good starting point though.