• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RX shooting glasses ANSI Z87 or FDA rated

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
as there are a ton of folks here with knowledge about a ton of topics and hopefully an optometrist or two, is there a real difference between RX shooting / safety glasses being ANSI Z87 rated or FDA approved 21 CFR 801.410 when it comes to eye protection?

in other words, though most safety / shooting glasses are ANSI / OSHA approved / rated, would FDA approved / rated RX eyewear be able to cut the mustard in the event of an incident?

I don't know the technical answer, but have read that Rx polycarbonate is pretty dang tough. I personally do not put additional safety glasses over my Rx glasses. I think either will do fine against some powder spit back or even small pieces of metal from a kaboom. On the other hand, neither is going to stop a bolt that comes apart and flies back through your face.

I've been using Rudy Project RX sunglasses for some time and they're top quality. They do in fact have a line that is ANSI Z87 rated and can take either RX inserts and made with RX:

Rudy Project North America - Official Site

You should check them out. I haven't had any kind of incidents to test their merits, but the lenses and sturdy and I have no doubts about their protective qualities.