• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rye vs Whisky

mrdrar

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
Not apples to apples, not even dollars to dollars. Thoughts on Whistle Pig 10 Year Rye vs Michter’s American Whisky?

Opinions are opinions and personal taste is just that. With that being said, I really prefer Willet Rye to about any other rye. I have some store pick WP “10 yrs” that are stated as 11 and some odd months, iirc and they are delicious. A better comparison might be to Michters single barrel rye, M10 Rye, barrel proof rye or toasted barrel rye, although I don’t know the mash bill of the American Whiskey. The toasted barrel is probably my favorite and definitely preferred over the WP. 🍻
331DB918-504F-4EE8-9421-C439C77D01DE.jpeg

I don’t recall if the Michter’s AW has light whiskey in it or if it’s just a bourye.

I’m not a WP fan. The better and harder to find Michter’s products are never available near me, so I stick to other things. The pictured M’s above would be great to try but I just never see them.

Opinions are opinions and personal taste is just that. With that being said, I really prefer Willet Rye to about any other rye. I have some store pick WP “10 yrs” that are stated as 11 and some odd months, iirc and they are delicious. A better comparison might be to Michters single barrel rye, M10 Rye, barrel proof rye or toasted barrel rye, although I don’t know the mash bill of the American Whiskey. The toasted barrel is probably my favorite and definitely preferred over the WP. 🍻
View attachment 7919465
Willett Rye is good stuff... Although, I'm not sure I've found a rye I didn't like :)

I'm gonna be that guy:
Rye --a grain
Whiskey is a drink of distilled grain from a mash. Traditionally made from Corn (in america)
Rye Whiskey: Whiskey made from at least 51% Rye in the mash. Also must be aged in new char oak barrels Defined by (American) Law
Bourbon: Whiskey aged in new charred oak barrels. It must be 51% Corn. Defined by (American) Law
Canadian Whiskey is sometimes called rye, but has no law that says what it content must be. Blame Canada.
Scotch: Made in Scotland (Defined by Law)

Now you freakin poors go out and drink enough to taste the difference...

I'll take Rye Whiskey over Bourbon, but prefer Irish and Scotch. Especially that Smokey Peated kind. But a good American Single Malted Barley Whiskey is also pretty good (Acre Distilling has a great Single Malt Whiskey--since it isn't made in scotland, its technically not scotch. My wallet and taste buds overlook that fact) . Everyone is just in to their freakin bourbons.

I'm gonna be that guy:
Rye --a grain
Whiskey is a drink of distilled grain from a mash. Traditionally made from Corn (in america)
Rye Whiskey: Whiskey made from at least 51% Rye in the mash. Also must be aged in new char oak barrels Defined by (American) Law
Bourbon: Whiskey aged in new charred oak barrels. It must be 51% Corn. Defined by (American) Law
Canadian Whiskey is sometimes called rye, but has no law that says what it content must be. Blame Canada.

I'll take Rye Whiskey over Bourbon, but prefer Irish and Scotch. Especially that Smokey Peated kind. But a good American Single Malted Barley Whiskey is also pretty good (Acre Distilling has a great Single Malt Whiskey--since it isn't made in scotland, its technically not scotch. My wallet and taste buds overlook that fact) . Everyone is just in to their freakin bourbons.
FFBCC1E3-51A2-4CAE-B384-086B022E7BA3.jpeg

I'm gonna be that guy:
Rye --a grain

You forgot about all the Japanese Scotch's and Bourbons.

Or would they be called:

Japanoch's?

Japourbon's?

Does the land of Guinness make Sake?

• Haha
Reactions: Dewey7271
I enjoy rye and its also been the hardest for me to find one's that I actually like. Maybe I dont actually like it? lol

It probably has the widest ranges in what it tastes like; wider than any other alcohol I've gotten into. There's a ton of bourbon that I probably couldn't tell apart. I have yet to run into that with rye.

The Whistlepig Piggyback is 'ok'. It's smooth but leaves that weird ethanol taste afterwards so I didn't really go back.

The 2 I keep coming back to are ironically the very common Bulleit and then the not so easy to get Woodinville; which has since been bought by Louis Vouitton of all places.

Reactions: BLEE and leftyk82
Completely agree about the variety of taste in ryes and I like very few of them.

Turkey’s rye is barely legal, so those are approachable.

On the other end of the price spectrum, the Kentucky Owl Ryes are decadent and special.

When a rye tastes like tree, dill, maple, mint….I pass.

Completely agree about the variety of taste in ryes and I like very few of them.

Turkey’s rye is barely legal, so those are approachable.

On the other end of the price spectrum, the Kentucky Owl Ryes are decadent and special.

When a rye tastes like tree, dill, maple, mint….I pass.
I’m right there with you. I bought some gin a while back that had an absolutely overpowering licorice taste. It was disgusting.

My big thing is that I want the drink to compliment my cigars, not fight them.

Reactions: leftyk82
That red breast is some GOOD shit! And bushmills always has a special place as the first whiskey I drank that was "damn--that's some good stuff"

I had some 1792 Bourbon that was Barreled in Bond I really liked--which i typically am not a bourbon fan. I was at a distillery last week and their "reserve single barrel rye" was absolute junk, same whiskey "small batch" was 10X better--coulda sworn its a different liquor altogether.

Japanese Whiskey has kinda taken a hit (growing issues) but its also good stuff. My fav though is gotta be Monkey Shoulder Scotch. Nuthin fancy, just good brown liquor.

I may be an alcoholic, but at least I drink the good stuff..

edit: prob told this story before, but we had a "Master of Malt" guy come buy for a demo and he gave us some REALLY high end Glenlivet stuff and I asked him about all the "tasting notes" people put down that I can't ever match. He told me "Everyone is different, drink what makes you happy"

Words to live by

I’m right there with you. I bought some gin a while back that had an absolutely overpowering licorice taste. It was disgusting.

My big thing is that I want the drink to compliment my cigars, not fight them.
To the original post and this one, I've stayed away from Michters due to the stronger star anise / licorice taste in the ones I've had. Have a couple bottles in the cabinet for awhile that I don't touch. Can't stand licorice. I have not had their rye though. I'll probably pick up a bottle of Kentucky Owl 10 this week.

To the original post and this one, I've stayed away from Michters due to the stronger star anise / licorice taste in the ones I've had. Have a couple bottles in the cabinet for awhile that I don't touch. Can't stand licorice. I have not had their rye though. I'll probably pick up a bottle of Kentucky Owl 10 this week.
Dixon knows his stuff; enjoy the KO

Im with you on most of their stuff, but you should try the Rye. It’s good.

That red breast is some GOOD shit! And bushmills always has a special place as the first whiskey I drank that was "damn--that's some good stuff"

I had some 1792 Bourbon that was Barreled in Bond I really liked--which i typically am not a bourbon fan. I was at a distillery last week and their "reserve single barrel rye" was absolute junk, same whiskey "small batch" was 10X better--coulda sworn its a different liquor altogether.

Japanese Whiskey has kinda taken a hit (growing issues) but its also good stuff. My fav though is gotta be Monkey Shoulder Scotch. Nuthin fancy, just good brown liquor.

I may be an alcoholic, but at least I drink the good stuff..

edit: prob told this story before, but we had a "Master of Malt" guy come buy for a demo and he gave us some REALLY high end Glenlivet stuff and I asked him about all the "tasting notes" people put down that I can't ever match. He told me "Everyone is different, drink what makes you happy"

Words to live by
Drinking Monkey Shoulder right this moment. I musta been sleeping because I literally just discovered it.

Drink what makes you happy.
Your thread title is poorly written though.
"Rye vs Whisky" Rye is whiskey. So are you pitting against each other? Spelling is important. So are you asking about Scotch? Perhaps George Dickel?
What are you really asking?

Bourbon over rye for me. It's mainly because a lot of the rye's I've tried tend to mess my allergies up and more than one glass I'll almost end up with a sinus infection. This is one of my favorites as of lately.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1659018855365.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659018855365.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 32
I dunno what it is.... but the different Bourbon's we really like. The different Scotch's we really like. I make my own hot-sauce and I really like that too.

But a bottle of Bulleit Rye (for us) has got to be one of the worstest things ever put in a glass container. We jokingly referred to that as 'specimen water' from some bad cloning lab. (picture a forensic lab full of walls containing specimen jars....)

We gave that away to others that enjoyed it immensely. Just not our thing.

• Wow
I prefer bourbon to whisky and Rye.
The wheated bourbons are my favorites.
Weller is my go to. Buffalo Trace is good in a pinch, been on a Basil Hayden kick here as of late. I do like their Rye.
Woodford Rye is a good pour as well.
Im with y’all on the Bullit. It’s not that great.
Side note: wanting to try the 1792 and Larceny

Reactions: BLEE
Weller is my go to. Buffalo Trace is good in a pinch, been on a Basil Hayden kick here as of late. I do like their Rye.
1792 Sweet Wheat is very good.

Reactions: texastonk
I dunno what it is.... but the different Bourbon's we really like. The different Scotch's we really like. I make my own hot-sauce and I really like that too.

But a bottle of Bulleit Rye (for us) has got to be one of the worstest things ever put in a glass container. We jokingly referred to that as 'specimen water' from some bad cloning lab. (picture a forensic lab full of walls containing specimen jars....)

We gave that away to others that enjoyed it immensely. Just not our thing.
Everything Bullet makes is gross IMHO.

What you want...

Attachments

• 20220729_163056.jpg
    20220729_163056.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 19