• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B 1.5-6 with Wilson Combat 6.8 , w/pics

ccoker

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2008
Central Texas
www.tacticalgunreview.com
Spent some time out today testing the S&B 1.5-6×42 Zenith Flashdot #9
This is a scope I have been lusting after for several years for my 6.8
Ultra clear glass, perfect power range for a hunting 6.8, cross between a German #4 and an Eotech reticle with a circle around the center crosshair intersection and a dot that illuminates.

My experience with most scopes that anything more than a dot is too much for actual hunting.

The scope has a standard thin reticle in the center and when you turn on the illumination, a red dot becomes protected onto the crosshair centers.

So many scopes have a black dot, say 1 MOA in the center that becomes lit up.

That’s fine at 100 yards but that dot becomes 3" at 300, fine I guess for quick COM shots, but takes away the real precision of a gun that will shoot tighter groups than that.
\
My test platform is one of those guns, a Wilson Combat 6.8 with an 18 medium weight stainless barrel and a match grade single stage trigger from WC.

It shoots .5 with my hand loads of Barnes 95g TTSX and about 1MOA with whatever else I feed it, not the least bit finicky.

We were at the Best of the West range in Liberty Hill, just outside of Austin.
It’s a fantastic new range offering 50, 100, 250, 500, 750 and 1K ranges.

Not just punching paper, but moving and self resetting targets by AR15Targets and Larue, both local companies.. cool.

I did a quick sight in at 500 and 100 then moved over to the 250 yard bench and started doing head shots on the Larue resetting target.
It’s 11" wide and I would guess the head is about 4" wide and 4" tall

With my 200 yard zero I should be running about 8" low at 300 and 4 at 250.

We just put the x on the top center of the head and both my handloads and SSA factory 115 OTM were connecting everytime in about a 10-15mph crosswind.

No hold into the wind was needed.

Did this for a bit and then went to 500 and 750 with my 308 to test some loads, what a great day of shooting with my brother and dad.

Some pics, my brother Mike with the 6.8 and two pics sighted in an 250 yard Larue
One with the illumination off and one on, (in person it popped more and was not on max power, but red on orange is hard for the camera to capture)

Notice the 500 yard to the left and 750 and 1K in the distance.

11142010rangedaydadandm.jpg

Re: S&B 1.5-6 with Wilson Combat 6.8 , w/pics

Some of the text is garbled in your post; if you fix it then it would be more useful.

Couple of questions: First, the red dot appears to be off center from the intersection of the cross hairs - is this just an illusion?

Second, is the red dot in the second focal plane so it doesn't change size (the answer is in your post, but it's garbled as I mentioned).

Thanks for fixing the problem.

What is the size of the illuminated dot?

Some have asked about the reticle specs
1st focal plane dot, at 6x it is 1.7" according to the specs
I put a 1", 2" and 3" dot on the target and it obscured the 1", fit the 2" and was inside the 3"

the cool thing is that off, you have standard crosshairs for daytime precision long range

also tested, and a 20" tall target fits in 1/2" the circle

Nice scope. I have a 1.1-4x Short Dot with the mil reticle and dot. In mine the dot is in the second focal plane and the reticle in the first. I kind of like it that way for close shooting.

that is a real nice setup i'm planing a 6.8 build i'm still deciding between spikes tactical and noveske i will be looking to get another uso probibly 1.8-10 for this one congrats nice rifle setup!

Might want to paint the steel black next time you want to demonstrate a red dot superimposed on it. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the review, looks like a solid scope.