• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B 10X42 PM II vs Leupold MK4 10X40 M3

ruth

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2010
Looking for a 10X fixed scope and wanted to know which of these 2 scopes would be best for a tactical precision rifle?

The S&B 10X42 PM II only has 13 mils of total elevation, dont know about the Leupold MK4 10x40 M3.

Re: S&B 10X42 vs Leupold MK4 10X40 M3

I have two S&B 5-25 and one Zeiss Diavari but I will never give my MK4M3 X10 that one will stay for ever on my Remington 7.62 all the others are bells and whistels this one is for combat

S&B 10X PM2 = best 10X scope there is imo.

Old M3A = good
New M3 purchased used = good enough
New M3 purchased at retail cost = HAHAHA

Have you looked at the super sniper 10X HD and the USO 10X? Both good scopes too.

The S&B 10x42 is a fantastic scope. I have yet to own a scope with a better image quality than the 10x42 schmidt, and that includes variable schmidts. The SSHD I have looked through and it was very nice too. I would pass on the USO, I had one once and it did not compare to the S&B in terms of glass.

IMO apples and oranges. Go with the PM2.

Hope this helps!
Trilogymac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The S&B 10x42 is a fantastic scope. I have yet to own a scope with a better image quality than the 10x42 schmidt, and that includes variable schmidts. The SSHD I have looked through and it was very nice too. I would pass on the USO, I had one once and it did not compare to the S&B in terms of glass. </div></div>

What he said...

I have yet to look through a S&B PMII but I understand that they are widely regarded as the best.

I can say however, that I've looked through the Leupold as well as the SS 10x HD mentioned above.....unless you are getting the military discount on the Leupold or really want the bullet drop turrets I'd seriously look into the SS 10x HD.

The SS HD can now be had with a second generation milling reticle that almost everyone seems to like and my SS HD had 37.7 mils of elevation.......If I'm not mistaken that would easily get you to a grand with a .308. The glass in my SS HD was every bit as good as the Leupold that I was able to check out, turret feel was better, and I'd say they are both built like tanks.

Like I mentioned above, if you want BDC turrets than the Leupold is the way to go (don't pay retail), if not I'd take a look around you might save some money and actually get a better piece of kit.

USO ST-10 with an EREK is also in that price range? cheaper than the S&B even.

It may be a consideration anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MedicGordo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I wrote a book about scopes it would read like this,S&B the end.But buy what you can afford and it will be the best fit for you.</div></div>

I would write the forward to your book! It would say "This book is a true story."

Re: S&B 10X42 PM II vs Leupold MK4 10X40 M3

I have used the PMII 10x scopes and they are very nice. I have a few of the Leupold MK4 10x scopes they are not as nice as the PMII but are also a lot cheaper.

I'm a really big fan of the USO ST10s. The EREK 1/10mil knob, the GAP Reticle, and if you what illumination you can have it. We have a few in stock. If we can be of help feel free to ask.

Link to USO ST10s at CS Tactical.com
P1040832-1-1.jpg

US_OPTICS_CST_ST_4e0e94cd3f1bb.jpg

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MedicGordo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I wrote a book about scopes it would read like this,S&B the end.But buy what you can afford and it will be the best fit for you.</div></div>

I would write the forward to your book! It would say "This book is a true story." </div></div>
I have to say I have read that book and it was the most accurate depiction of any book I have read! Cant wait for the movie!

I have the S&B on an LTR, and have shot it side by side with Leupolds and it's no comparison. S&B wins in optical quality hands down.

S&B 10x PMII on top for glass, just to bad no parallax adjustment.

A good shopper can find a Mark 4 (M3 or M1) for a very reasonable price (under $1k) and it's still a good scope.

I really liked my pimped out USO ST10, glass was better than the Leupold and options the S&B didn't have for less money.

It's tough comparing these as retail pricing sucks on the Leupold, the USO and S&B will be close in price if no discounts are offered for the USO.

Good luck!

PM II. It has better glass, better feel in knobs, much reliable - but also higher pricetag...

Sold the ST10 to run a S&B 10X42, no comparison to my eyes. Worth the extra coin to me.

the glass like every one is saying is the big diff.( other than price) i've got both as well and id stick with the s&b

In my MHO I looked through a S&B 5-25 FFP.I was very disappointed in the optics. I guess i was expecting to much from all the hype I read about them. If you have a lower budget like alot of shooters do like me for one. The SWFA 10x42HD I think can not be beat it is so clear. Perfroms so well I think the price of some others is way to high,exspecial for a 10x.

Fixed power S&B scopes are some of the most perfectly optimized riflescopes I have seen to date and the 10x42 is not exception.

That having been said, it has a few weaknesses, the most notable of which are price and limited adjustment range. Fixed parallax does not both me a whole lot since the parallax error you are likely to run into with this scope is likely to be well within the "minute of man". This scope is designed to engage man-size targets and fixed parallax at 300m is good enough for that.

Limited adjustment range makes you pay a little more atention to mounting and for longer range shooting I would definitely suggest a 10 or 15 MOA base. 20MOA base may be a bit iffy.

Personally, with fixed power 10x scopes, I ended up largely sticking with Super Snipers. I have both the original and the 10x42HD with the new reticle and they have exceeded my expectations considering their price.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: para1505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my MHO I looked through a S&B 5-25 FFP.I was very disappointed in the optics. I guess i was expecting to much from all the hype I read about them. If you have a lower budget like alot of shooters do like me for one. The SWFA 10x42HD I think can not be beat it is so clear. Perfroms so well I think the price of some others is way to high,exspecial for a 10x. </div></div>

Those 5-25 S&B's are junk....right on, I'm gonna sell them and upgrade to Super Sniper's....TFF!!!

BWAHHHAAAAAAA, I was just thinking that mine were totally overrated, LMFAO!

I looked through a fixed 10 S&B when I was in Germany, at the time I really liked how the glass looked. But like others said it has limited adjustment range, no side parallax, and no illumination. The guys we where training with liked our Leupolds a whole lot more and thought it was a lot better then the S&B. Anyhow I would opt for a USO for a fixed its better in every way than either the S&B or the Lupy. Another Choice would be the IOR 10X42 it is extremely nice glass, side parallax, tons of adjustment, steel tube, MP-8 reticle, only thing is MOA adjustments /mil reticle but that doesn't seem to bother you if you where considering the Lupy or the S&B anyways.