• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B 12 power or 16 power

Lance B

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2008
NJ
Any thoughts on 12 power vs. 16 power S&B scope out to 1000 yards. Not benchrest or hunting only tactical.
Thanks

Re: S&B 12 power or 16 power

I prefer 4-16x50, the magnification is a bit (33%) more and the optic is still easy and fast to use (no mini exit pupil), with good FOV and no eye strain. I don't see the point of using extremely low magnifications on a heavy bolt action rifle. <span style="font-style: italic">The low magnification/wide field of view does help when shooting fast at very close range/moving targets</span>, but I guess this is not the intended use.

It's FFP so go with some more power on the high end. 1x on the low end won't make a difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4-16 for sure.</div></div>

+1

Have both... 16 for sure.

the 4-16 is not available in the double turn Mils knob right? its only the 3-12 or the 5-25 models that have a double turn Mils knob.correct?

I had both at one time and I found I preferred the extra reach the 16x offers so I sold the 3-12. The single turn is nice and has enough adjustment to get my 308 to 1000 yards.

I would choose the 4-16X50,single turn. I have a version of all the PMIIs and the only rifle I have that will utilize the double turn is my GAP .338 LM.

Good luck in you're choice, Pat

More power is nice. But best fit can depend on the reticle: I shoot my Gen IIXL at 12x most of the time (in my 16x). It's nice to have the option of more magnification, but you probably won't use it under 1000.