• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&B high power reticle focus problem

GhengisAhn175

Last known
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Last known
Hey folks,
Trying to help a buddy of mine out and determine if we are doing something wrong or if the scope is actually busted.
He has an S&B 5x45x56 and for some reason, any power zoom after 18x, the reticle just completely goes blurry.

Apologize for the quick iPhone shots, but here is the scope at 5x.
IMG_5539.jpeg

The sun was quickly setting on his but here is a video still of it at around 39 power.
Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 9.49.44 PM.png

Other than the sun setting, that blurriness is not an out of focus camera. Below is a picture at it around 17~ power.
Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 9.54.41 PM.png

I discovered this on the range yesterday while we were out shooting and here were the trouble shooting steps I took:

-Adjusted diopter at full range
-adjusted parallax at full range

It wasn't until I brought it back below 18x power where the reticle was clear and crisp. Then after unmounting it from the rifle, loosened scope rings, double checked parallax & diopter, and shook it to make sure nothing was broken or rattling around.

I think he needs to start an RMA process but wondering if the hide has any input on this.

I have a Kahles K525i that had the same problem. While adjusting the magnification ring above 18x, the whole image including the reticle would get out of focus. A slight adjustment (1/16") back under 18x would bring it back into focus. I sent it back to Austria for warranty repair but they never explained what the problem was. They just left a note saying not to over torque the scope rings above 21 in/lbs. They probably assumed that I over-torqued it because of some scratches on the main tube when I accidentally dragged it across the sharp inner corners of my Night Force Ultralite rings when it was first mounted.

Reactions: GhengisAhn175
I have a Kahles K525i that had the same problem. While adjusting the magnification ring above 18x, the whole image including the reticle would get out of focus. A slight adjustment (1/16") back under 18x would bring it back into focus. I sent it back to Austria for warranty repair but they never explained what the problem was. They just left a note saying not to over torque the scope rings above 21 in/lbs. They probably assumed that I over-torqued it because of some scratches on the main tube when I accidentally dragged it across the sharp inner corners of my Night Force Ultralite rings when it was first mounted.
Thanks, I don't believe this was over torqued but haven't ruled it out. But here is one possible reason

Reactions: Peskadot671