• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B Illumination

Pinenot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2017
How good/bright is the Schmidt & Bender Illumination on their 3-27x56 High Power & 3-20 Ultra Short? Is it very visible in daylight?

I have an S&B PMII 3-20×50US.
Not really daytime bright zoomed in in bright sunlight. But on lower magnification, in dimmer light or heavy background, it is visible.

Do any full size scopes have daylight bright illumination that's the equivalent to a red dot or LPVO? Because I haven't seen it.

Do any full size scopes have daylight bright illumination that's the equivalent to a red dot or LPVO? Because I haven't seen it.
I live in the North so I honestly don't even remember what sun looks like at this time of year but I remember having tested my Cronus on some bright day and it was quite bright. Maybe even LPVO bright.

I will put a note to test it against a flashlight or something bright when I get home.

No it’s not daylight bright because that’s retarded. It’s a precision scope, not a 1-4 that’s supposed to function like a red dot down low. Some of their low power hunting scopes have bright illumination but the PMII’s have illumination that’s usable in low light where it’s needed.

Reactions: Nortex and roamin
No it’s not daylight bright because that’s retarded. It’s a precision scope, not a 1-4 that’s supposed to function like a red dot down low. Some of their low power hunting scopes have bright illumination but the PMII’s have illumination that’s usable in low light where it’s needed.
With FFP the reticle can be used much better in the low mag levels with the help of an illuminated reticle. Not for super precise shots but when you need the wide fov and shot placement is not surgical.

Maybe an unwanted animal running on the field etc. I would drop the magnification and up the illumination.

But I am going to drop it; it is too far into offtopic, the question was about S&B illuminating in the first place.

Reactions: deersniper
With FFP the reticle can be used much better in the low mag levels with the help of an illuminated reticle. Not for super precise shots but when you need the wide fov and shot placement is not surgical.

Maybe an unwanted animal running on the field etc. I would drop the magnification and up the illumination.

But I am going to drop it; it is too far into offtopic, the question was about S&B illuminating in the first place.

Uhhhh, what? Tell me how a light reflecting back and washing your vision makes a FFP reticle more usable at low magnification during normal daylight hours. Low light, absolutely, but daylight that is stupid. A bold black reticle is as visible as it gets. FFP gets small because you’re zooming out of the target and reticle at the same time. Illuminating the reticle doesn’t make the little hash marks any more visible unless it is a thick illumination mask and is bleeding everywhere which is also stupid.

Uhhhh, what? Tell me how a light reflecting back and washing your vision makes a FFP reticle more usable at low magnification during normal daylight hours. Low light, absolutely, but daylight that is stupid. A bold black reticle is as visible as it gets. FFP gets small because you’re zooming out of the target and reticle at the same time. Illuminating the reticle doesn’t make the little hash marks any more visible unless it is a thick illumination mask and is bleeding everywhere which is also stupid.
The idea is that it just becomes a big + sign and when it is bright you keep it more easily in vision with the both eyes open (as always).

But I am not going to try to sell it to you, illuminated reticle has very few uses and I would not buy one in the hopes it would serve as a LPVO.

But at 4.5x magnification the reticle is quite small and brightening it (not overbrightening) makes it easier to see, place and center on an object. I am not saying its the best resolution to the problem but can be better than plain reticle.

^This. /end_thread

Not really. There is more to this, and it’s reticle dependent.

I believe that scopes with the LRR-MIL reticle are the only models that currently have daytime illumination in the current model lineup. Sort of a requirement though if using this reticle in vegetation or any dark background. Glaring sunlight, setting #9 out of #11 is way plenty.

This is a "new thing" for S&B illumination. Whether or not they will make this available in other reticles is unknown.

Not really. There is more to this, and it’s reticle dependent.

I believe that scopes with the LRR-MIL reticle are the only models that currently have daytime illumination in the current model lineup. Sort of a requirement though if using this reticle in vegetation or any dark background. Glaring sunlight, setting #9 out of #11 is way plenty.

This is a "new thing" for S&B illumination. Whether or not they will make this available in other reticles is unknown.

Great intel, thanks.

Reactions: AIAW
You can already send in your existing S&B’s to have a brighter illumination fitted. They change the contact plate. I had this done in my 5-20 US. It’s brighter but still not daylight bright or as bright as the LRR version. Costs around €60

Reactions: chrome
It is visible when the lighting is dim enough that you need illumination to see the reticle. What more do you need? The only thing I'd ask of S&B when it comes to illumination is that they get with the times and move that damn knob somewhere less obtrusive and ugly as sin.

Reactions: lancetkenyon
Thanks for all the information. I never handled a S&B just read about how great they are. With your input and more searching on the internet . I do not believe the S& B is what I need. I will wait for the Meopta R2 that has great illumination & a dot, will have side PA down to 10 yards . I just heard they was going to be available in June.

Hey Pine, I wrote about this last year when I reviewed my S&B US 3-20 vs my Kahles K318i, the Kahles is considerably brighter, here's some pics I took trying to show how "bright" they both were. The Kahles is one of the brightest illuminated long range scopes I've seen. The Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 is also very bright; however, that scope has many other issues that cause me to not recommend it.

Kahles_K318i_SKMR3_Illum_002.jpg

Schmidt_US_3-20x50_MSR2_Illum_002.jpg

I have a SB 5-20 and love the scope, except that the illumination is not really bright enough for my old eyes at magnifications under 7x. No problem aiming against a white target as the illumination is not needed. However, at lower magnification the reticle really disappears in the shadows or vegetation. This is where I really want brighter illumination. I actually sent the scope back with the hope they could install a brighter module but no joy. I solved the issue by mounting an Aimpoint T2 on a 45 degree offset.

Rasyad

My 3-27 HP: bright illumn at crosshair
in daytime.

My 5-20 US: very dim illumn in daytime - basically can't see illumn in daytime.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information. I never handled a S&B just read about how great they are. With your input and more searching on the internet . I do not believe the S& B is what I need. I will wait for the Meopta R2 that has great illumination & a dot, will have side PA down to 10 yards . I just heard they was going to be available in June.
This is like saying "The Mercedes AMG GT's headlights are not bright enough during the day, so I am going to buy the Ford Focus with HIDs instead."

This is like saying "The Mercedes AMG GT's headlights are not bright enough during the day, so I am going to buy the Ford Focus with HIDs instead."
No, it is like saying " I am going to buy a scope that will work for my eyes & application, not one that won't work for my eyes" , I would rather pay 5 grand for a scope I can use & like, then have one given to me that I can't. Funny , daylight illumination was not something I ever wanted or needed, until I had SJS in one eye, cataracts & vitreous separation.