• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B Klassik, VX5 or SHV 3-10?

TanktheFrank

UP AND COMING
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
New Braunfels, TX
Just picked up this late '70s BDL 7 Mag for a sweet deal and I'm looking to add a trustworthy scope.

20240306_094225.jpg

I'm going to use it as a dedicated elk/nilgai/western rifle as well a loaner for deer here in TX. Most of my shots are sub 300, but I'd like to be able to dial or hold for 650/700 if possible. Illumination would be neat, but not a deal breaker.

Torn between 3/4 scopes, and I've only had experience with one. Trying to see if there is an obvious choice here, or maybe I'm reading too far into it and getting paralysis by analysis.

SHV 3-10x42 MOAR w/PA - have this today on a .223. Might not fit on a long action easily. Reticle leaves some to be desired sometimes.

S&B Klassik 3-12x42 - Probably what I want the most, would have to buy used and I'd want the mil based reticle. Seems like it checks the boxes.

S&B Klassik 2.5-10x56 - Same deal as above, not sure if I'd miss the extra 2x or hate the bigger bell compared to the 3-12.

VX5 3-15 - Seem like a good option with 3x or 5x extra and some solid features. But the internet tells me to hate this one.

Which would you choose and why?

Reactions: RTH1800
I say Leupold. They look right on a nice wood/blued rifle, and the VX5hd is a pretty nice scope. I had a VX6 and a VX5hd and liked them both a lot.

Not used that SB model, so can't comment.
I'm not keen on the 3-10 SHV, seems like a big downgrade optically from the VX5hd.

Reactions: TanktheFrank
S&B 3-12 or leupold. Both will fit the bill and complement the rifle

Great looking rifle btw

They both definitely fit the part, my idea here is definitely a dedicated hunting setup and field rifle more than anything else. Really leaning towards grabbing the S&B. Used VX5s and S&Bs are within $50-100.

Thanks BTW, grabbed it in a trade for an old TA01. I had one of these same rifles but a decade newer back in '22. Topped it with a fixed 6x w/ duplex and I set myself up for disappointment on a couple of hunts when REALLY nice bucks came out close enough for the 7 mag but too far for the 6x.

I say Leupold. They look right on a nice wood/blued rifle, and the VX5hd is a pretty nice scope. I had a VX6 and a VX5hd and liked them both a lot.

Not used that SB model, so can't comment.
I'm not keen on the 3-10 SHV, seems like a big downgrade optically from the VX5hd.
What made you get rid of them?

I do love my SHV 3-10 in the SPR role, but I haven't used one side by side with a VX to compare yet. I've got a buddy with a 3-15 w/ firedot that I may need to borrow and do a comparison.

What made you get rid of them?

I do love my SHV 3-10 in the SPR role, but I haven't used one side by side with a VX to compare yet. I've got a buddy with a 3-15 w/ firedot that I may need to borrow and do a comparison.
Moved everything to MIL and FFP, as O don't do a huge amount of hunting.

Leupold used to do a Mil TMR firedot in the 2-12 and 3-18 VX6. If they still did the 2-12 version it would be an excellent hunting scope.

Leupold used to do a Mil TMR firedot in the 2-12 and 3-18 VX6. If they still did the 2-12 version it would be an excellent hunting scope.

I'd really like to strangle a manager there over reticle choices and lack of a custom shop.

Only thing they have going right now is the 3-15 htmr sfp in the vx-5. It does work as the only time I've needed to hold was far enough 15x was fine, but it still bothers me.

I hadn't thought about that aspect. My "Main" rifle for TX is an AT with a T6XI in Mil and I definitely gravitate towards Mil. The S&B is definitely edging our the VX if I can't find a Mil TMR.

I'd really like to strangle a manager there over reticle choices and lack of a custom shop.

Only thing they have going right now is the 3-15 htmr sfp in the vx-5. It does work as the only time I've needed to hold was far enough 15x was fine, but it still bothers me.
The lack of consistency is what drives me crazy. They still offer firedot TMR in the 3-9x40 patrol but won't do it in anything else.

The 3-15 HTMR is a pretty nice scope for hunting but still capable at the range.

I transitioned my dedicated hunting rifles to the 3-12x42 Klassik with their P3L Illuminated mil-dot reticle.

For the price, it's a damn good optic. I was very surprised by how well you could see into the shadows and underbrush while hunting. Very bright image!

The Illumination is great for black hogs in low light. Black reticle on a black pig in the dark isn't easy! The P3L fixes that.

The only potential negative is the elevation range of the turret. The BDC turret has about 3.5 MILs. With my 22-250AI and 30-06, that gets me out to 600-625 yards. Beyond the range I'm shooting game, therefore not an issue for me.

I got several from EuroOptics last year. Give them a call and they will likely be able to order more.

I hadn't thought about that aspect. My "Main" rifle for TX is an AT with a T6XI in Mil and I definitely gravitate towards Mil. The S&B is definitely edging our the VX if I can't find a Mil TMR.
The 3-15 HTMR will be your best bet from Leupold if you want Mil.

I transitioned my dedicated hunting rifles to the 3-12x42 Klassik with their P3L Illuminated mil-dot reticle.

For the price, it's a damn good optic. I was very surprised by how well you could see into the shadows and underbrush while hunting. Very bright image!

The Illumination is great for black hogs in low light. Black reticle on a black pig in the dark isn't easy! The P3L fixes that.

The only potential negative is the elevation range of the turret. The BDC turret has about 3.5 MILs. With my 22-250AI and 30-06, that gets me out to 600-625 yards. Beyond the range I'm shooting game, therefore not an issue for me.

I got several from EuroOptics last year. Give them a call and they will likely be able to order more.

I think I tried to buy one of yours around this time last year on the PX but I had to shift priorities before we struck a deal.

If I'm remembering right we have some similar hunting situations so the vote of confidence hunting pigs towards both ends of dark with the P3L is reassuring.

Just picked up this late '70s BDL 7 Mag for a sweet deal and I'm looking to add a trustworthy scope.

View attachment 8368209

I'm going to use it as a dedicated elk/nilgai/western rifle as well a loaner for deer here in TX. Most of my shots are sub 300, but I'd like to be able to dial or hold for 650/700 if possible. Illumination would be neat, but not a deal breaker.

Torn between 3/4 scopes, and I've only had experience with one. Trying to see if there is an obvious choice here, or maybe I'm reading too far into it and getting paralysis by analysis.

SHV 3-10x42 MOAR w/PA - have this today on a .223. Might not fit on a long action easily. Reticle leaves some to be desired sometimes.

S&B Klassik 3-12x42 - Probably what I want the most, would have to buy used and I'd want the mil based reticle. Seems like it checks the boxes.

S&B Klassik 2.5-10x56 - Same deal as above, not sure if I'd miss the extra 2x or hate the bigger bell compared to the 3-12.

VX5 3-15 - Seem like a good option with 3x or 5x extra and some solid features. But the internet tells me to hate this one.

S&B Klassik 4-16x50 with the exposed elevation turret... Still looks era-correct for that rifle, but with the modern Mil-Dot reticle and ability to dial. 👍🏼

I would love to see them offer some truly modern reticle options for them, keep it period-correct looking on the outside, but offer 10 MIL turrets, and a nice christmas tree style MIL reticle inside.

Reactions: dms416
I think I tried to buy one of yours around this time last year on the PX but I had to shift priorities before we struck a deal.

If I'm remembering right we have some similar hunting situations so the vote of confidence hunting pigs towards both ends of dark with the P3L is reassuring.
Sounds about right. I sold a few that were on crossover rigs. The 3.5MILs was a no go for long range steel.

Sounds about right. I sold a few that were on crossover rigs. The 3.5MILs was a no go for long range steel.
Aren't the new ones 6 mils? Thought I read that over on Rokslide......

According to strelok 3.5 mils will get me to 600 with a 162 BTSP. That's about as far as I could ever imagine shooting at anything with this rifle.

Extra leaning to an S&B now lol.

Reactions: DubfromGA
The klassik 3-12x42 with new bdc knob has 4.8 mils
That sounds like a good improvement. I'm stuck buying used if I want one in time to practice over the summer so it's going to be older style most likely.

Then again, this 7mm mag wouldn't benefit from the extra monster likely. I a weenie that probably wouldn't use the extra 1.2 lol.

If you buy used S&B you could end up with 3.2 mil or the newer 4.8mil Bdc turret.

I'm on a similar search for a hunting scope. I've also been considering the Leica amplus 6 in a 3-18x44i . The cons are moa and 2nd focal plane.

View attachment 8368209

Hands down the s&b klassic. For a hunting scope, id pick it over my atacr, zeiss, its light. Has amazing glass, and at the price, it should really be a plus 2k scope

Which one would you suggest?

3-12x42 or 2.5-10x56? Same reticle.
What i would suggest. Probably wouldnt be whats best for u, id get the 2.5-10x56 because it would likely be able tonuse the russan calonox adapter from the s&b zemith 56 i have.

Im assuming the 3-12x42 is what i most likely already have. Its a fine scope, going back. I would put those on everything i have.

The 3-12x42 id bet is lighter, and im also all about light weight stuff,

The glass on both are gonna be top tier

View attachment 8368209

Wait for the new Steiner H6XI in the mil version 😏

I snagged a 2.5-10x with Illum mildot. Whoops lol.

If I could've found a 3-18 T6Xi with MSR2 for a decent price, I would have stuck that on my AT and the T6Xi on my SPR setup. Wouldn't have worried about robbing the SHV then!
stop cheating on them Steiners lol

• Haha
Thanks everyone for steering me to the Klassik. Really looking forward to shooting this setup. Going to get some better rings soon and set it up in its "permanent" config.

View attachment 8373461

View attachment 8373466

borat-very-nice-fist-pump-wq6v07qb55osz1jt.gif

I think you will be very happy with that Klassik. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Last year I set up a pair of new rifles in .308 & .270 for when I hopefully get back to hunting.
That M70 is going to get a new trigger, but that B14 is excellent as.

I put a NF SHV on the .308 and VX5HD on the .270.

IMG_8458.jpeg

IMG_8483.jpeg

IMG_8841.jpeg

IMG_8840.jpeg

No complaints on either as they'll both more than handle my needs and both are illuminated which is useful at times.

If I were going back and doing it all over again, however, I would have saved longer and then done PRECISELY what you did.
S&B scopes bring brightness, clarity and sharpness in the woods.

You hit a home run there !!!!!

View attachment 8374553

I think you will be very happy with that Klassik. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Last year I set up a pair of new rifles in .308 & .270 for when I hopefully get back to hunting.
That M70 is going to get a new trigger, but that B14 is excellent as.

I put a NF SHV on the .308 and VX5HD on the .270.

View attachment 8374558

View attachment 8374564

View attachment 8374561

View attachment 8374560

No complaints on either as they'll both more than handle my needs and both are illuminated which is useful at times.

If I were going back and doing it all over again, however, I would have saved longer and then done PRECISELY what you did.
S&B scopes bring brightness, clarity and sharpness in the woods.

You hit a home run there !!!!!

Your winchester/vx combo looks right at home, and the SHV/Bergara setup looks inspiring too. Did you plan to do rings+rail from the start?

I run a S&B 3-12x42 klassik on my 204R lightweight coyote gun. P3L illum with 3.2 mil turrets. Killed a lot of yotes.
I also run a Leica amplus 2.5-15x56 for my low light deer / bear gun in 7 SAW.
The Leica is an amazing low light performer but so was the S&B to be honest, even with the much smaller objective.

I run a S&B 3-12x42 klassik on my 204R lightweight coyote gun. P3L illum with 3.2 mil turrets. Killed a lot of yotes.
I also run a Leica amplus 2.5-15x56 for my low light deer / bear gun in 7 SAW.
The Leica is an amazing low light performer but so was the S&B to be honest, even with the much smaller objective.

Once I see how this one actually performs in the field I'm going to start looking for a 3-12 with the same reticle for a .22-250 or 6 creed. I wish I could've found one for this 7 mag, but the 2.5-10 I lucked into first feels great for it now.

Your winchester/vx combo looks right at home, and the SHV/Bergara setup looks inspiring too. Did you plan to do rings+rail from the start?

Thanks.

I was going to use that SHV on my AR-10.

I decided to go with another scope on the AR-10 that had more magnification & a tree reticle…..with an offset red dot mounted,too.
Haven’t set it up yet, but liked the clean crosshair reticle of the SHV for hunting.

So the rings that I’d initially planned on using went with it onto the Bergara.

Will be using a Spuhr mount for the AR-10.

Good choice. That Klassik 3-12x42 P3L with BDC is nice, it's what I have standardized on - I have 3 of them plus one of the 3-12x50's. Sent three in last year to upgrade from the 3.2 to 4.8 mil dials. 4.8 gets me plenty on my hunting rifles especially out in Wyoming. My 6.5 PRC:

IMG_4251.jpeg

The Klassik 3-12x42 P3L with BDC is nice, fits right in, great setups!
I took that 7 Mag/S&B combo on a trip this weekend. Didn't seal the deal but it seems like it'll fit my needs within 500 yards to say the least. The clarity at 10x almost negated needing some more mag.

Here's some glassing shots from my T6Xi set at 10 and 15X I think.

20240323_074007.jpg

20240322_193443.jpg