• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B locking turret problem

BFD711

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Anyone else concerned about the new locking turrets S&B is using on their new 5-25 and 3-20? I may order a 3-20 but can't get over the carelessly designed ergonomics of the new turrets. Seems like you would be engaging the lock everytime you wanted to turn the turret. I think they should have made the part you grab taller to keep your fingers away from the flange that sticks out. Or maybe require 2 actions to prevent it from being done by accident(push down and then screw 1/8 turn a collar seperate from the one with index marks). Could also spin a collar at base of turret to lock it in place. The few videos I see of people using it looks like they have to make an effort to not engage it but still do sometimes.

I love their optics and would love to throw another fist full of money at the 3-20 but think those hotsy-totsy-nazis need to get back to the engineering room and recalculate this one out. Or at least offer a non-locking turret option, which they may, but I have not inquired about that yet. Anyone else know?

Re: S&B locking turret problem

All the ones I've felt took a little force to lock or unlock. It wasn't an issue.

-John

I agree , they 3-20x scope should be available with out the locking turrets , as most will want them that way .

I donot like their design , also they where made for use in particular with the Horus reticle , and as such , the knobs will not be dailed to set a firing solution, but aim off points using the reicle will be used , so any one buying a PMII with out the Horus reticle , ie most people , this option is not required at all .

I did not mind the idea of the locking turret , but donot like the S&B design , and the knob I would lock out would be the windage , to stop errrors like forgetting previous windage left on the scope .

Later Chris

Yes, it is not the idea I have a concern with but the design. It seems like a very nice feature to have on the windage turret especially since most people dial elevation and hold for wind.

I tried ordering a US Optics with Horus reticle Jan. 2009 but almost non of the reticles USO received from Horus over the course of 8 months would pass QC for accurate subtension. I ended up just choosing a different reticle after all that waiting. I am considering the S&B 3-20 with H58. Anyone know if this Horus reticle problem still exists? Seems like a couple scope makers are offering them now and I don't see how it is possible to make so many if USO had to junk the majority they received due to lack of quality. The last thing I want to do is be charged an arm and a dick for a fine optic with a reticle that does not subtend accurately.

I played with the SHOT model and didn't see any troubles with the way it works. Do I feel a need for it? No and wouldn't get a scope with them but it's another option if the shooter wants it. I am sure S&B will be offering the 3-20 with the standard dual turn knobs as the 5-25 comes with now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFD711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like you would be engaging the lock everytime you wanted to turn the turret. I think they should have made the part you grab taller to keep your fingers away from the flange that sticks out. Or maybe require 2 actions to prevent it from being done by accident(push down and then screw 1/8 turn a collar seperate from the one with index marks). Could also spin a collar at base of turret to lock it in place. The few videos I see of people using it looks like they have to make an effort to not engage it but still do sometimes.</div></div>
I posted on this when I got back from SHOT. It seems to me that the locking turrets work well with the Horus reticle system (zero your scope, lock the turrets and forget it) but not a reticle design where you would normally dial elevation and/or windage. You're exactly right, it's too easy to lock the turret when you try to grab and turn it. I suggest you simply order the MTC turrets without the locking mechanism (I just ordered a 5-25x with MTC turrets and P4F reticle, so they are available).