• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B Or Aimpoint on Grendel?

Juanjo322

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2009
TEXAS
I would like y'alls feedback on this.. I have an S&B PM II 5x25x56 and was thinking about mounting this on my AR 6.5 Grendel.. however I would be taking 300 meter shots at the most with this setup on hogs.. so was kind of leaning forward to the Aimpoint.. I have never had an aimpoint, search reveals it's a love hate affair.. most love it though.. I just think this S&B may be a little too over powered for my application. Please advise.

Thanks,

Juanjo

Re: S&B Or Aimpoint on Grendel?

Have you considered a 1-4 power variable scope?

The Aimpoint will allow hits at 300 no problem, but I don't know how precise you might need to place your shot on a hog.

I've considered the 1-4 in Meopta or a vortex hd, I have wondered about the flexibility that going 1-4 would have, even better with the Schmidt & Bender 1-8 optic.. but still not avail.

Juan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Juanjo322</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B PM II 5x25x56...AR 6.5 Grendel...300 meter shots at the most</div></div> WAY overkill...Whoever above me mentioned 1-4x has the right idea.

I figured it would be over kill, any experience with a great 1-4? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Juan

Definitely too much magnification for a hunting optics, especially if you are shooting at moving targets. Opt for something with no greater than 10X and even that is a little much for 300 yds.

I'd go with a 3-9 for that set up. With hog hunting which a lot do in low light the Trijicon Accupoints are great. They have one in 1-4 as well which would fit well.

Trijicon, I had forgotten about that one.. Or the new s&b 1x8 should be cool when it comes out.

Juan

Picked up a Triji Accupoint tr20g 3-9x with green triangle/post. Very happy with it.

Might add a TR24G on another rifle.....

forgot to add - bought it from Scott/LO.

If you'll be taking 300yd shots at hogs "at the most" with this set up, any of the numerous low power variables should be fine for your needs.

You keep mentioning S&B. If you want (arguably) the best and don't mind spending the coin, go for the S&B Short Dot (1-4x or 1-8x when available). I've got a Short Dot on my competition AR-15 and love it. I use it tons and feel it has been worth the expenditure.

For your stated purpose, you can get away with a great scope for a lot less if you want.

If you can wait, the S&B 1-8 short dot looks like its gonna be the shit. Im running an aimpoint M3 and have no problems popping steel at 300. However, my buddy has the S&B 1-4, and that is much better.
So, you gotta weigh compact vs precision. Oh! and there's that little $2100 difference too.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hanks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can wait, the S&B 1-8 short dot looks like its gonna be the shit. Im running an aimpoint M3 and have no problems popping steel at 300. However, my buddy has the S&B 1-4, and that is much better.
So, you gotta weigh compact vs precision. Oh! and there's that little $2100 difference too..... </div></div>

Oh yeah the price difference is what can make or break any deal. I bought the PMII because thought it was the best for my application now I feel like i was being a little overachiever if it makes any sense. Love the idea of the 1-8 on the S&B because of the new CC feature for paralax under 50 yards.. I can't think of anyone that has that feature and about the optics.. I think S&B definitely are ahead of the game. IMHO.

There is a Swaro 1-6 being sold here and am considering on weighing the options as far as waiting for the S&B. Only time will tell..

-Juan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk9176251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a m3 with 3x mag combo from aimpoint its nice but was expensive as others have seid the trijicons are very nice with the posts i'v used a freind and i realy liked it i bought this ( http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-1-4x24-CMR-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45852.aspx ) for my .17mach2 and it's been good and usefull for the money </div></div>

How do you like the reticle on the leatherwood.. looks like a decent optic until the S&B comes out..

2.5-10 nightforce might be nice. or a 3.5-15x50 one a warne ramp mount with a small reflex optic like a trijicon rmr or burris fastfire on the 45 mount for close encounters

1-4 power or more is perfect for hog hunting, I have an IOR 2-12 om my 18 inch grendel for coyote hunting, it is pretty much on 2x most of the time and wish to have a 1-? power instead.

I have been looking into the leatherwood seems to be a good "for now" optic.. good reviews.. for sub 250.00 when the 1x8 comes out I'll sell my 5x25 S&B and get short dot.. just a thought

reticle on the leatherwood is nice at lower illumination though its not compleatly even but not to a fault for what i use it for its real nice

Juanjo have you thought about the 2.5-10 Accupoint? they seem to be good for hogs too. Also IOR has a 2.5-10 that does well. Some reason I can't seem to picture a Leatherwood like that on the grendel.

what about the 1.5-6 S&B ?
I hunt a lot with a 6.8 and think (other than the price) it would be the PERFECT scope for my 6.8 for deer and hogs (the latter at night a lot of the time)

I am evaulating the Vortex Razor HD 1-4s
have aimpoints, several Accupoints, etc..

My take is I love the T1 for walking around and 100 yard and under shots for hunting, but, as darkness falls, it fails compared to a real scope... I hate the phrase "light gathering" but, a good scope is hands down better than the Aimpoint when it gets dark, I do a lot of hog hunting at night with some red led lights

now, if you got the coin, get Gen 3 NV

I do have a S&B 1.5-6 Flashdot coming for T&E

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what about the 1.5-6 S&B ?
I hunt a lot with a 6.8 and think (other than the price) it would be the PERFECT scope for my 6.8 for deer and hogs (the latter at night a lot of the time)

I am evaulating the Vortex Razor HD 1-4s
have aimpoints, several Accupoints, etc..

My take is I love the T1 for walking around and 100 yard and under shots for hunting, but, as darkness falls, it fails compared to a real scope... I hate the phrase "light gathering" but, a good scope is hands down better than the Aimpoint when it gets dark, I do a lot of hog hunting at night with some red led lights

now, if you got the coin, get Gen 3 NV

I do have a S&B 1.5-6 Flashdot coming for T&E
</div></div>

I thought about going with the 1.5-6 S&B however since the new 1-8 is coming out I think I will wait for that one. My PMII is an awesome optic but I feel I suffer for close up shots because the 5 power is too much for close shots IMHO. I have considered trading my S&B for a Swaro 1-6, just haven't hear all great reviews for that optic.. I hear its good but not great.. I can't go from a great scope to a aaah.. good scope.

Vortex.

There has been a lot of buzz for the Razor HD, some love it some just like it.. I haven't seen through any of them so I wouldn't know but from what I have read they seem to be right where the top end scopes are at.

I worried about the aimpoint to stand up to a task when darkness falls.. and somehow am kinda hesitant on the lower end mag scopes for example the 1-6 with a small 24mm objective.. I don't see that being a great benefit during night hunts. I have looked through some of the trijicon accupoints and the way the green chevron lights up at night and still have 2.5 magnification with a huge 56mm objective seems to me that would be a decent way to go.. I need more feedback on this scope though..

-Juanjo

I saw a Trijicon 1-4 scope today and I am sold.. this is what's going on that grendel.
smile.gif

-Juanjo

good choice Juan--I use an Eotech with a 3x in a flip to the side mount and a 1--4x the rest of the time on the Grendel--use quik-release mts so they can be easily changed out

Wait for the new short dot, sell unneeded body parts, be happy with it

I am going to run an ACOG TA11G (3.5x green donut) on my 6.8 for a bit, using it for hunting this weekend

Got to sight it in at the range the other night and was getting 1.5" groups at 200 yards and hitting a 4" target at 300 that was almost invisible to the naked eye..

It's brighter than the Accupoint 1.4 for sure

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good choice Juan--I use an Eotech with a 3x in a flip to the side mount and a 1--4x the rest of the time on the Grendel--use quik-release mts so they can be easily changed out </div></div>

I agree on the quick release.. this should be a great setup....

Thanks,

Juanjo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait for the new short dot, sell unneeded body parts, be happy with it </div></div>

The new Short dot is coming out next year almost all of them are pre-ordered and accounted for.. I probably will get one either way sometime next year.. after the rush has gone..

Do i need my kidneys?

-Juanjo

Only one of them. The other should cover most of the cost of the SuB

Juanjo322,

I have a Swaro
1.5-6 in a LaRue SPR mount that has been collecting dust.
It sound ideal for your Grendal.

Spud47