• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B Owners HELP!!

Jeff808

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2010
Maui, Hawaii
Just got my rifle back from the gunsmiths over @ AWC last week, so this past weekend I mounted my scope and Zeroed the rifle in. Later that day when cleaning the rifle and function checking my scope I notice that my windage knob would go another 1 past the last hash mark which would be 6 mils. Then I would turn it the opposite and the scope would only go to about 4.2 mils. I didn't have this problem before, what the heck did I do wrong or even worse what did I break? Here's some Pix to clarify.

S&B 5x25
Gen II XR Reticle
Mil Adjustments

SB5x25.jpg

SB5x25II.jpg

Re: S&B Owners HELP!!

I'm not sure what your problem is. Is it not holding Zero? Did the knob come loose? Or you just have more adjustment one way than the other?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$75...and I will cover shipping.....

Hi Bolt....</div></div>

.....flippin glass ho...................

My S&B hasn't arrived yet. Still paying on it, in fact. However,
Since you stated that you zeroed the scope, is it possible you did not configure the zero stop? Perhaps the screw to hold zero stop are not tightened back?

Just throwing that out there. I have never owned an S&B, but problem seems simple and mechanical in nature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$75...and I will cover shipping.....

Hi Bolt....</div></div>

.....flippin glass ho................... </div></div>

We all have to aspire to something.....

Unfortunately, not all rails are exactly centered over the bore so you lose windage adjustment getting the scope zeroed. Depending on how far left or right of center the rail is mounted will determine how much of your scopes windage adjustment will remain after obtaining zero.
This is more common on mass produced actions and not so much on custom actions. Had a Remington action once that took the scope about 4 mil off center to get zero'd. I no longer own that one.

Is your zero that far off? Bit strange, my windage is nearly the same both ways.

Is your ammo hitting far to the side so you have to compensate that much? Scope mounted straight?

I had 5cm POI change to the left when I remounted my scope, but even that did not impact the windage range being off that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'll give seventy dollars for that trash......shipped to me Boltripper </div></div>

OH I bet you would.........

TriggerTime: Yes exactly I'm getting more adjustment one way.

Jerry R: Your explanation sounds logical, didn't have this problem before though. Double check to see if it was mounted correctly and everything. Is it possible since originally the rifle was a 26in but now is an 18.5, could this have cause the windage to be off?

SurgeonPredator: Yes POI was to the left, I'll probably try and remount the scope again, but everything looks strait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contact Fx1 he can help </div></div>

+1

Fx1 stated that S&B are absolute authority of optics and that they are perfect. He would tell you that there is nothing wrong and it is what the super secret euro spec ops specified because they don't use that range of adjustment(s).

Ok now back to reality. Should just contact S&B directly...I am sure they will take care of you. If not, I am sure one of our vendors can help too. Good luck.

Call Chris Wisecarver at Sportoptics. The dude is the master of scope tech.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308JEFF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible since originally the rifle was a 26in but now is an 18.5, could this have cause the windage to be off?

Yes POI was to the left, I'll probably try and remount the scope again, but everything looks strait.</div></div>
There are a lot of variables here. Now that your barrel is cut off then cold/warm/hot bore shots could change. If the crown is slightly different than before then POI could change. If your scope isn't perfectly level then POI could be affected.

In any case, +/- 6 mils should be plenty of travel. I doubt you'll need the extra 4~6 clicks past those marks anyway. If you do then you can hold for it in your reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308JEFF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.Jerry R: Your explanation sounds logical, didn't have this problem before though. Double check to see if it was mounted correctly and everything. Is it possible since originally the rifle was a 26in but now is an 18.5, could this have cause the windage to be off?</div></div>

Gotcha, highly unlikely barrel length will affect POI. Does it group well?

Jerry R: Yes it groups well, I'm getting 1in. 5 shot groups a 100yd. using factory fed. 168gr. Also forgot to mention that the barrel was re-crowned.
Probably going to send it to S&B USA to have them make sure everything kosher with the scope.

It appears you have 1.8mils difference (which side?) in horizontal plane. What exactly was done to the action? Did gunsmith install picatinny base, drilled holes etc? One explanation would be that front base is offset to one side (roughly 0,0007" @ 3.39" or 0.18mm@10cm - check my math as i'm doing this out of my head
smile.gif
)...

I wouldn't worry though as you have plenty of windage left 4.2mils is quite a lot even for moderate wind @ 1000m...

It wouldn't be the first gun/ base/ ring combo to eat up that much adjustment to one side. If it tracks true, zero the thing and rock on. You could try taking the rings off the base and making sure the base is centered, but it doesn't sound like a problem with the scope.