• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B PMII MTC zoom ring question

FCSA-UK

UK
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2018
Just bought a brand new S&B PMII MTC 5-25, took 10 weeks to get it in my hands as S&B seem to be strugging to keep up with demand. Anyway, all seemed good and mounted on Sako S20, however when I went to alter the magnification the usual resistance of the zoom ring seemed to give away after a few degrees of rotation, and I can now rotate the zoom very easily, probably the easiest of all my scopes. I dont have another S&B to compare it to anymore as I stupidly sold my PMII's off last year, so wondering of anyone on here can comment on whether their zoom ring on their PMII MTC can be adjusted with very minimal effort, or is it tight throughout the full range of operation?

Either way its not affecting the function of the scope, but I guess could move when in transit especially when I'm hiking with it in my drag bag - but I guess I'm more concerned that its actually got a fault and is on its way out already.

Many thanks.

If the actual magnification moves when rotating it....it's fine

Yes it does, just really easily - nothing like what I remember on my previous PMII's. I suppose what grabbed my attention was that it started off with plenty of resistance, which suddenly dropped off, as though something gave way.

@GBMaryland - yo friend....do you have some resistance in your S&B PMII's?

@FCSA-UK - I'm absolutely NOT one of the experts on the board with a wide range of experience but my friend does run S&B's and I have gotten behind them a few times. I don't remember the level of resistance, but I sort of think that all decent scopes have some resistance in the magnification ring movement so it stays where its put. My two scopes do....and as mentioned, this is why I have a throw lever on both of them.

I'd reach out to S&B or the dealer you bought it from and ask them...yeah?

Reactions: FCSA-UK
Dont know if these video clips will work, but will give it a go.

I have sent a service request to S&B, just taken a look at the PMII I sold last year to a freind and the zoom ring is very precise with lots of even resistance. If this was a £/$500 scope I wouldnt care, but these are now costing crazy money.

Loose zoom 1

Loose zoom 2

• Wow
Reactions: M77
Dont know if these video clips will work, but will give it a go.

I have sent a service request to S&B, just taken a look at the PMII I sold last year to a freind and the zoom ring is very precise with lots of even resistance. If this was a £/$500 scope I wouldnt care, but these are now costing crazy money.

Loose zoom 1

Loose zoom 2
Agreed. For the money that thing should function beyond flawless.

The good news about being in the United States is that I can have the thing inspected, and they are 50 miles from my house.

Just drop it off…

Well I have just received 2 contradictory emails from S&B, the first states that this is normal and within tolerances as the scope is made to operate under a wide temperature range (no consideration as to whether the sudden drop off in resistance is indicative of a problem), the other email states that it is indeed faulty and needs to be returned... My dealer has both emails so I'll see where this leads...

Well at long last the scope came back from S&B yesterday (to be fair the job was completed mid December according to the QC sheet that was in the box, delays were due to transit), its now good and has the usual expected level of resistance, firm but not solid enough to desperately need a throw lever.

Many thanks to S&B.