• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B reticle shifting problem

tacguns

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 19, 2010
anniston AL
I just got my first S&B from a hide member used it's in like new condition, and I threw it on my rifle to check it out. and noticed that when I turn the power up and down the reticle shifts when you change direction. this has to be a problem with keeping a zero or mil holds. is this typical of S&B or should I send it in for repair? I checked my leupolds and nightforce and none of them had the same problem. I hope this is not typical because I just bought a new S&B that will be here tomorrow. Any suggestions?

What do you mean by it is shifting? Do you mean that it 'grows and shrinks'? If so, that's a FFP reticle. It doesn't affect zero and FFP is the only reticle where the holds are constant throughout the magnification range.

its when you change directions back and forth on the variable power it jumps side to side

It's called reticle jump and it does happen from time to time in S&B's and other optics too. It won't affect the POI when changing magnification because of the FFP configuration but S&B USA will take care of it I'm sure if it is not to your standards and have it turned around quickly.

I think i'll send it to S&B i'm cool with it shifting like that I just hop my new one doesn't have this prob.

its point of inpact shift in the erector. theres a hinge that moves when shifting power and it has play in it when it should not...that the only way for your reticle to shift as your describing. only thing to do would be to send in for repair. it shouldnt be a big issue for them.

its point of inpact shift in the erector. theres a hinge that moves when shifting power and it has play in it when it should not...that the only way for your reticle to shift as your describing. only thing to do would be to send in for repair. it shouldnt be a big issue for them.

Sorry, but the above quote is a horribly inaccurate diagnosis and description of function.

This is known as reticle jump and occurs when reversing the direction of the vario and has has no affect whatsoever on the relationship between point of aim and point of impact.

If this were second focal plane it would be a legitimate problem and certainly an issue of concern.

There are two lenses within the erector which move fore and aft when changing powers on a variable power optic. Certain tolerances must be maintained to allow movement while also preventing a binding condition. What is being seen is one of the lenses pitching slightly when reverse pressure is applied while the vario is turned forcing the lens to travel in the opposite direction. Again, with the reticle being set in the first focal plane this will in no way cause a point of impact shift. Observe a target while it happens and you'll see that the target moves with the reticle.
If mechanical means are applied to completely eliminate 100% of this movement there is a good chance you will experience vario lock.
There is a tolerance of 3cm at 100m which I can assure you is strictly adhered to during erector construction in Germany.

Believe me, I know what 3cm at 100m looks like. I have seven 5-25's and all of them do it to a certain degree, some more than others. Does it bother me? Absolutely not! I know for a fact there is no way it will affect the scopes performance. If I miss I know I can't blame the scope.
All my 3-12's and 4-16's have a slight bit as well. The same rule applies to those, not an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nostradumbass
Thank you for the information, it was very disconcerting to notice and not know if there was a problem or not.

Thank you for the information, it was very disconcerting to notice and not know if there was a problem or not.

If you feel there may be an out of tolerance issue or have any other concerns or questions please don't hesitate to contact me at the service center.