• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B scope for AX 338LM

Long range scope for 338LM

• S&B 5-25x56 PMII

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • S&B 6-36x56 PMII

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • S&B 3-27x56 PMII High Power

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • S&B 5-45x56 PMII High Power

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

MotoSinge

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2019
Hi all. I'm looking for a S&B scope for long range, to go on an AX in 338LM. Shortlist in the poll, struggling to decide. Price is not a deciding factor. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I have a S&B 5-45x56 with LRR-MIL reticle.

Attachments

• 1C1AAB91-C199-461E-BE14-A14C15AAC47B.jpeg
    1C1AAB91-C199-461E-BE14-A14C15AAC47B.jpeg
    578.3 KB · Views: 72
I have a S&B 5-45x56 with LRR-MIL reticle.
Great pic. What elevation/cant do you have on that Spuhr mount? By my calculation, a 3 mil mount would maximise scope elevation adjustment without going too far.

Great pic. What elevation/cant do you have on that Spuhr mount? By my calculation, a 3 mil mount would maximise scope elevation adjustment without going too far.
The Spuhr mount have 0 MOA of inclination.
The elevation turret have a sufficient range of regolation for shot over the cartridge range.

Excuse me for bad english….

The elevation turret have a sufficient range of regolation for shot over the cartridge range.

Ah….. the AX piccatinny rail have a 30 MOA of vantage

Ah….. the AX piccatinny rail have a 30 MOA of vantage

Thanks Mark, I understand. I had taken into account the 30MOA rifle rail. I was looking to add more elevation to the mount to maximise up-elevation range of the scope/turret (whilst retaining some down adjustment).

Attachments

• 1649412455236.png
    1649412455236.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 27
I personally wouldn’t consider the 3-27, eye box is so freaking tight, I also think the 5-25 is a better scope optically. The 6-36 seems worth waiting on if you can.. if not, the 5-25 with the DT2 turrets is the way to go IMO.

SB 5-25 will dial to a mile on top of my AXMC. I think it has a 30 moa rail from the factory.

evaluate the reticle to choose.
i feel great with the LRR-MIL.
you have 0.1MIL subtension exactly like the turret clicks and a really thin filament where you need it (to the center)
of course, to compensate for the wind in hold-off is not the best, but you can’t have everything…

I have had both the S&B 5x25 and 3x27 on my AI-PSR with the .338 LM barrel and I can tell you the eyebox on the 5x25 is larger and more forgiving than the 3x27 also the parallax is touchy on the 3x27 because the 9 vs 5 times zoom. I am using the 3X27 on my 375 CT when I shoot ELR matches most of the time it right about 22/23 power max unless there is zero mirage. The 5x25 is on the AI-PSR and I shoot that out passed 2500 yards in the morning with no wind. I live in NW AZ so I have BLM 5K plus yards 15 min drive from the house.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
Hi all. I'm looking for a S&B scope for long range, to go on an AX in 338LM. Shortlist in the poll, struggling to decide. Price is not a deciding factor. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Back in January of ‘06, I put a 5-25 P4 on my new TRG-42, so that’s how I voted.

Good luck!

Chris

Thanks all for your input, I really appreciate it. I’m going with the new 6-36x56. Delivery expected at the end of the year.

With no 6-36 being out in the wild I have reservations to recommend this ghost; however, if Schmidt does it right, it could be an amazing performer. What I don't understand right now is why it is one of the cheapest scopes in their lineup, is it because of existing military contracts on the other scopes or is it because they cut some corners to meet a lower price point to be competitive with the US competition crowd, if it's the latter then it would be very disappointing. Even with all of this, I still voted the 6-36 because I do think/hope it will be absolutely amazing, but this is only conjecture at this time.

If you need a scope "now", I've had the 5-45 and the 3-27 (currently) and I would say the 3-27 may be slightly less finicky while the 5-45 may have an edge IQ wise FWIW