• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B Scopes

40x

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Pennsylvanian
I just noticed that my scope turret on my 4-16 50 lp is marked 1cm at 100 meter. Are all S&B scopes calibrated at 100 meters instead of yards.

Re: S&B Scopes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just noticed that my scope turret on my 4-16 50 lp is marked 1cm at 100 meter. Are all S&B scopes calibrated at 100 meters instead of yards. </div></div>
Your scope is graduated in 0.1 MIL (1/10th of a milradian) increments, which just happens to be .36" <span style="font-style: italic">at 100 yards</span>, and <span style="font-style: italic">1 centimeter at 100 meters</span> (equal to .39" at 100 meters). <span style="font-style: italic">"Lindy, paging Lindy".</span>

Keith

I am not talking about units of measure.If the scope is calibrated to 1 cm or 1 mr at 100 meters and I am shooting at 100 yard and the scope is calibrated at 1000 meters I have to adjust for difference in distance correct.

I believe that my ammunition data has to be calibrated in meters not yard in order for the scope to function correctly at its settings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not talking about units of measure.If the scope is calibrated to 1 cm or 1 mr at 100 meters and I am shooting at 100 yard and the scope is calibrated at 1000 meters I have to adjust for difference in distance correct. </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">A MIL IS an angular unit of measure.</span> For rifle scopes, 0.1 MIL (1/10th MIL) equals .36" at 100 yards. Each click of the scope will move the impact 0.1 MIL, which is .36" at 100 yards, .72" at 200 yards, 1.08" at 300 yards, ect. While the .36" single click increment "multiplies" every 100 yards, it is still 0.1 MIL. Get it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that my ammunition data has to be calibrated in meters not yard in order for the scope to function correctly at its settings. </div></div>
That is incorrect. For instance, I use "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">JBM Small Arms Ballistics</span></span>" to make my range cards and set JBM to calculate my Elevation drop and Windage based on 0.1 MIL increments. You can set JBM to output the corrections in yards or meters.

And as far as the parallax knob goes, after you've used the scope a while and gained some experience with it you will know approximately where to turn the parallax knob to approximate the correct distance in yards (the parallax knob is calibrated in meters so you'll typically have to stop short of the printed distances). Either way you'll be fairly close.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that my ammunition data has to be calibrated in meters not yard in order for the scope to function correctly at its settings. </div></div>Nope. Again, the Mil is an angular unit of measurement, so is it not dependent on the units used to measure distance:

1 cm at 100m
one turkey at 100 turkeys
one flux capacitor at 100 flux capacitors

The unit of measure makes different numbers, but the angular measurement is the same, increasing with distance of course.

So even thoug the scope caps are market 1cm or 1/10 mill at 100 meter the scoope will move 1cm or 1/10 mill at 100 yard.

Dam I thought I was onto something.I thought I needed to sell the scope really cheap. Oh well guess I am gonna keep it.

i know this is hard but let it go. zero your rifle and whatever distance you want and print out a drop chart in yards or meters. or even better do both and you will see the mils changes when you switch from yds to meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dam I thought I was onto something.I thought I needed to sell the scope really cheap. Oh well guess I am gonna keep it.</div></div>

no sell it really cheap to me!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dam I thought I was onto something.I thought I needed to sell the scope really cheap. Oh well guess I am gonna keep it. </div></div>

You can still sell it to me cheap........
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dam I thought I was onto something.I thought I needed to sell the scope really cheap. Oh well guess I am gonna keep it.</div></div>

no sell it really cheap to me!!! </div></div>

You beat me to it......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So even thoug the scope caps are market 1cm or 1/10 mill at 100 meter the scoope will move 1cm or 1/10 mill at 100 yard. </div></div>Each adjustment moves the reticle .1 Mil. .1 Mil is an angle that works out to be 1cm at 100m, which is also .36" at 100 yards.

Next time, prior to making the purchase, you may want to consider what it is that you are buying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Na Im a compulsive buyer.</div></div>

Nice come back LOL

You bought yourself a very nice scope, one of the best there is. You are going to have to learn to operate in mils, and not moa.

Draw a horizontal line about 4" long. Now at the right end draw a vertical line a small amount, like 1/4". Now draw the hypotenuse. Its a triangle. The small angle is one mill (its a milliradian, some number of degrees like .7 degrees or something). Its not to scale. But you get the idea. Using the same triangle you can make the horizontal leg however long you want, and the vertical leg will have the same ratio.

Now you can make the horizontal legs 100 yards long or 100 meters (which is like 109 yards long). The vertical leg will grow and shrink as necessary. At 100 meters the vertical leg is 1cm long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Na Im a compulsive buyer. </div></div>

Spending stimulates a troubled economy--spend on!!
smile.gif

Take a look at some of the threads referenced in the attached FAQ Optics Link. A couple of them will enlighten you as to the benefits as well as how to use your new FFP Mil/Mil scope.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812&page=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You bought yourself a very nice scope, one of the best there is. You are going to have to learn to operate in mils, and not moa.

Draw a horizontal line about 4" long. Now at the right end draw a vertical line a small amount, like 1/4". Now draw the hypotenuse. Its a triangle. The small angle is one mill (its a milliradian, some number of degrees like .7 degrees or something). Its not to scale. But you get the idea. Using the same triangle you can make the horizontal leg however long you want, and the vertical leg will have the same ratio.

Now you can make the horizontal legs 100 yards long or 100 meters (which is like 109 yards long). The vertical leg will grow and shrink as necessary. At 100 meters the vertical leg is 1cm long. </div></div>

oh you f$@ked him up with that> lol

This ain't my first BBQ I have Two U.S. Optics sn3 3.2-17 44 Mil/Mil scopes with GAP reticles in them. What I did not get is a European scope that is labeled 1cm at 100 meters that's all. And buy it all then sell what you don't want definitely help our economy.

If the US Optics are mil reticles and mil turrets, then your S&B is essentially the same. It's just that you now have run across that .1Mil is one cm at 100 meters. .1 Mil on your US Optics is one cm in 100 meters also. Same deal.

when did shooting become so anal retentive

Don't worry he has a week off to think about his mistake.

It's all the same. A "mil" represents a thousandth of a "radian," itself a unit-less measure.

Whether you're talking one CM at 100 M or 3.438 MOA at 100 YD or 3.6" at 100 YD, it all works out.

Your 0.1 MIL turret (well, mine too, I own a SB) just gives you 0.36" clicks at 100 YD, like a 1/4 MOA will give (roughly) 1/4" change on target at 100 YD (1.047" per MOA at 100 YD).

I hope I got that right. It's confusing. I learned English units growing up, Metric (French) in science and medicine.

It's like we all learned in Kindergarten, just stick with the unit you grew up with and don't touch anyone else's unit. ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So even thoug the scope caps are market 1cm or 1/10 mill at 100 meter the scoope will move 1cm or 1/10 mill at 100 yard. </div></div>

No, it will move around 0.9cm.