• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B Short Dot 1-4: Still a contender?

Double-edged

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2002
Not long ago the S&B Short Dot seemed to be the relatively undisputed king of low-power variables. Now the market is lousy with most places putting out AT LEAST a 1-4 power optic and many now at 1-6 or even 1-8 power or greater.

Is the S&B Short Dot still a contender, then? In regard to price, it's still one of the highest and doesn't deliver the magnification range of many others. It DOES have a reticle that allows some ranging and has daylight-visible illumination and is supposedly one of the toughest optics of its type.

I haven't handled one except at SHOT and have never actually used one but am considering the purchase of one. The 1-4x Accupoint and the small-objective Nightforce offerings have been my only exposure to variable-power optics on the AR platform, always having used Aimpoints of one sort or another. Is the Short Dot worth my time and money? Or should I look elsewhere?

Re: S&B Short Dot 1-4: Still a contender?

I have a 1-4x Short Dot and still really like it. I have to admit that it's been overshadowed somewhat since the introduction of the Swarov 1-6x, Vortex 1-6x, Kahles 1-6x and others with a better magnification range a daylight visible illuminated dot. These SFP scopes are better for 3-gun etc as the dot remains the same as magnification goes up and down.

I wonder about S&B's committment in the low power variable arena. No advancements in the 1-4 SD for years and a bumbling attempt to launch a 1-8x Short dot....

If I didn't already have a Short Dot and Swarov 1-6x, I'd get one of the Vortex Razor 1-6x. Great glass, robust construction, bright dot at a very good price. I really like that scope.

I have two. Love them.

The 1-6 scopes might have 2X on the Short Dot, but for me that 2X is not the difference between a hit and a miss.

I am eagerly awaiting the 1-8 Short Dot for sure. I hope it comes out one day.

I would recommend looking at the fallowing.

ELCAN 1/4x
Swarovski 1-6x
Kahles 1-6x
Vortex 1-6x
Leupold 1-6x

We also sale S&B but I would recommend the above.

Mike CST