• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B Ultra Short 5-20 for PRS?

Jakerz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Statesville, NC
So I traded a gun for this scope last year with the intention of buying an AI and running this scope on it but a few other things happened and I didn't get to buy the gun. Most of that is behind me now and I'm looking at buying one soon. My main question is, would I be better off selling this scope and getting something like a Nightforce 7-35 if I'm looking to try and start shooting matches? My main concern with the Ultra Short is the turrets, I'm not crazy about the super short turrets. If I'm just punching paper, I don't mind them but I'm worried they'll cause me issues if I'm on a clock. My scope has a P4F reticle and I like it but I also really like the look of the Nightforce Mil-R.

Honestly haven't shot much in the past 2 years from moving around and working a bunch so I'm pretty much starting from scratch with the fundamentals and learning everything all over again. I figured if I could sell this for most of the price of the NF then it may be a good idea?

Jake

If you haven’t shot any matches before and are relatively inexperienced, in all honesty you’ve got a long way to go before the turrets hold you back. Yes there’s preferences for that sort of thing, but target ID/acquisition, position building, fundamentals, etc. will all be a much bigger challenge than turrets for now.
I wouldn’t worry about it and just shoot it unless you just want a 7-35 then go for it! Lol
If you really really want to find out if the turrets will holds you back, go to the range and put yourself on a timer. Shoot off a step stool or ladder rung and use the stopwatch on your phone.

Oh for sure, lol. I was just thinking it may be better to change it now than farther down the road and have to get used to a new reticle and scope later. IDK I'm obviously overthinking it and that's just how my brain works lol

Thanks!
Jake

The prices you can get a used/demo ATACR 7-35 MIL-C or MIL-R makes it very appealing.

The 7-35 isnt going to be the "best" at anything but it is a very good scope.

There is a learning curve with any new equipment, and you become more efficient the longer you have used something, so I would say sooner rather than later, but it is certainly not a NEED as @Covertnoob5 pointed out

I don't shoot PRS. But I don't think you need 35x for PRS.

The S&B PMII 5-20×50US is an amazing scope. Plenty of magnification in my opinion for anything other than maybe 1500 yard prairie dog hunting. I really love mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTH1800
If its not a hit financially for you - make the swap. US should serve you extremely well though.

I rarely go over 15x during PRS, only for those small ass targets at 700-800yds do I get up around 20. Clarity/light transmission is more important than zoom in many cases. How fast can you pick up a shotup, gray 6in plate in the shadows at 750 yards moving left to right up to 500yds to different targets at different ranges. The reticle makes a huge difference as well and how you use it

Most long range small targets are shot from a supported position.

I've seen people run the Ultra Shorts with great success at matches. It's all about learning your gear.

Reactions: bjay
So I traded a gun for this scope last year with the intention of buying an AI and running this scope on it but a few other things happened and I didn't get to buy the gun. Most of that is behind me now and I'm looking at buying one soon. My main question is, would I be better off selling this scope and getting something like a Nightforce 7-35 if I'm looking to try and start shooting matches? My main concern with the Ultra Short is the turrets, I'm not crazy about the super short turrets. If I'm just punching paper, I don't mind them but I'm worried they'll cause me issues if I'm on a clock. My scope has a P4F reticle and I like it but I also really like the look of the Nightforce Mil-R.

Honestly haven't shot much in the past 2 years from moving around and working a bunch so I'm pretty much starting from scratch with the fundamentals and learning everything all over again. I figured if I could sell this for most of the price of the NF then it may be a good idea?

Jake
In a PRS match, you normally have 10 shots in 2 minutes. This causes mirage in moderate temperatures (barrel gets hot). If you use magnification above 20, things get fuzzy and distorted for the POA.

I run 5x25 S&B PMII, and ZCO 5x27, never higher than 15 mag in competition due to mirage from the rate of fire.

I have 3x 7-35s, they go to 30ish power on kyl racks from the prone pretty regularly. On a stable position that isn't super tight for time I will cycle mag back and forth from shooting the target at high mag to reducing mag to get next target. Import to see your impacts/miss on the plate to make those corrections to center yourself ip.

I don't shoot PRS. But I don't think you need 35x for PRS.

The S&B PMII 5-20×50US is an amazing scope. Plenty of magnification in my opinion for anything other than maybe 1500 yard prairie dog hunting. I really love mine.

Agreed...20x plenty of magnification. Rarely go above that and mostly stay between 15-18x