• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Physical Fitness ?'s For those of you that have had rotator cuff surgery

Bear Pit Exercise Routine

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I am almost 4 weeks post surgery for two major tendon tears, bone spur, and labrum damage.

I just started passive PT to maintain help with range of motion. Sling will come off hopefully in two weeks, and PT will gradually increase.

I'm sporadically taking Tylenol for the pain, <trying to avoid regular use> and using ice machine on and off all day. My damage was fairly severe.

Curious what your timetable was on your road to recovery... ie what do I have to look forward to, and did you get back to close to where you were pre injury?

I am hoping to be chasing coyotes mid winter.

I will have to respond later because I am headed out in just a couple of minutes. I have had both shoulders repaired. The right one was a full on reconstruction from a major sports related accident.

I am putting this up as a bookmark so I don't forget to respond.

If you can please tell us more details about the surgery and how the original damage occurred. A full blow massive trauma as I had in my right shoulder will be totally different than a fairly normal use dislocation that I had in my left shoulder.

BTW Ice might not be your best choice at this point. Heat will probably be a lot better. When I get more information and more time to respond I will do so.

Reactions: Doc68
    I am almost 4 weeks post surgery for two major tendon tears, bone spur, and labrum damage.

I just started passive PT to maintain help with range of motion. Sling will come off hopefully in two weeks, and PT will gradually increase.

I'm sporadically taking Tylenol for the pain, <trying to avoid regular use> and using ice machine on and off all day. My damage was fairly severe.

Curious what your timetable was on your road to recovery... ie what do I have to look forward to, and did you get back to close to where you were pre injury?

My injury sounds very similar to yours.
    I had multiple tears, rotator cuff and labrum damage and they did a debridement (bone spur removal).
    I was out of pocket for quite a while, I don't recall exactly how long my recovery took me, I keep myself in pretty good shape and continued working out prior to the surgery.
    I was doing the exercises before the sling came off, the spider crawl etc...
    I ended up CAREFULLY removing the sling before my projected date. I want to say I was pretty limited for a couple of months, and n, I don't have the same range of motion as I did pre-injury, but I'm an old fuck, so that plays into it.

Reactions: SWgeezer and DIBBS
    My injury sounds very similar to yours.
    I don't have the same range of motion as I did pre-injury, but I'm an old fuck, so that plays into it.
    Ditto-Almost 63 here but still fairly active and ...slightly overweight... I will work on that in next 6 months as well as the arm/shoulder. Looking forward to swinging the splitting maul and cutting firewood .

Very similar surgery about 18 months ago. Tears, bone spur, bicep tendon repair (not a reattachment). The surgeon made it sound like I'd be good as new in no time but others said it takes about a year. I did too much at times early on - no damage but strained the muscles around the shoulder - bad idea. Lift nothing for as long as they tell you not to lift. It took about a year before I felt like I could fully function semi-normally without discomfort. Still building some strength back. I have about the same range of motion. Being good about the PT and extending the amount of time on PT really helped as I too am old. The ice machine was my friend for the first couple of months but heat helped later on.

Reactions: greg1147 and DIBBS
    Plan on a year getting back to "normal". Doctors and other PTs are sometimes conservative on their treatment protocols, but they'll get you back to where you need to be. You're going to get a lot of different answers on timelines, but no two injuries are the same. I've had patients with minor surgeries that are dragging on and I've had some with extensive repairs back to riding motocross in 3 months. Just go at your own pace.

I am going to need both of mine repaired as I have torn both. Doc said one will complete rebuild, the other will wait and see. He doesn’t want to do surgery until I just can‘t use them any more because I still have good range of motion and he can’t guarantee what kind of range of motion after surgery. Will be interesting to follow this thread to see what I might be in for.

Last edited:

I was tossing a baseball in 6 months time. I doubled down on my rehab and had the best in the country do the surgery. When I woke up from surgery, they wheeled me to rehab. Made me put my arm over my head. It was a motherfucker but I did!

Both Left and Right had surgery, about a year apart.
    Mine could not be repaired, surgeon w/ 50+ years of experience looked at the pictures and said “I can’t repair that”.
    So he cleaned out the chips & debris, ground down the bone spurs.

Right shoulder - I did not go to therapy, just started using the arm as soon as the sling was no longer necessary.
    Took a month before I could put my arm straight up.
    A few more months and it was back to normal, except no pain and crunching noises.
    W/o the tendons, I can not lift anything heavy over my head w/ that arm.

Left shoulder - same diagnosis “can’t fix that” .
    This time I went to physical therapy, cost me $3k out of pocket (crap insurance), and the Left never did recover as well as the Right, Left is still weak, years later.

I would like to resume lifting @ the local gym, but can’t find a Physical Therapist locally that I trust to do anything except get the insurance billing codes right, so they can get paid.

I need to know exactly what exercises and movements I can do w/ the gym equipment so as to not damage the remaining parts of my shoulders.
    72 years old

I had my rotator cuff, labrum, biceps tenodesis, and AC joint repair all done at once on my right side.

Took a month before it stopped hurting (I'm assuming it was the bone they removed). Took three months to feel normal. With PT, I was back at exercise at six months, and back to my normal self in nine.

I have to have everything done on my left shoulder now.

Reactions: DIBBS

Stop using ice......you need heat in that area to stimulate blood flow. Ice is only for the first 24 hrs....where you WANT to reduce swelling. More blood flow means more oxygen amd quicker healing.....

ETA: ice shrinks capillaries and reduces blood flow. Stop using ice.

Doc

Had my left shoulder done at the end of Jan 2020.

March we had the lockdowns and my therapist refused to touch anyone for therapy. I could not find a therapist that would touch ANY patients.

I ended up building a pulley system in my garage to stretch myself. Problem is-- I could not stretch enough to tear the scar tissue to gain full mobility. My arm has about the same range of motion as when it was torn but the pain is gone. My shoulder can also tell you within 3 days when a cold front will pass through!

Reactions: jrassy
    Mine could not be repaired, surgeon w/ 50+ years of experience looked at the pictures and said “I can’t repair that”.

Right shoulder - I did not go to therapy, just started using the arm as soon as the sling was no longer necessary.
    A few more months and it was back to normal, except no pain and crunching noises.

This time I went to physical therapy, cost me $3k out of pocket (crap insurance), and the Left never did recover as well as the Right, Left is still weak, years later.

I would like to resume lifting @ the local gym, but can’t find a Physical Therapist locally that I trust to do anything except get the insurance billing codes right, so they can get paid.

I need to know exactly what exercises and movements I can do w/ the gym equipment so as to not damage the remaining parts of my shoulders.
    72 years old
    Hang ion and I’ll see if I can find some diagrams tonight

Had it done on my left (suppport arm) about 7 years ago. Took me about 6 months to get back to feeling good.
    I don’t think it will ever be normal again. I still feel pain/odd sensation where the repair was done especially after working it hard.
    I would say strength and range of motion got back to normal though.

Reactions: Ravenworks

72 years old
    30C4D523-7A47-4C6E-948C-EC60FFA33299.png

I am going to need both of mine repaired as I have torn both. Doc said one will complete rebuild, the other will wait and see. He doesn’t want to do surgery until I just can use them any more because I still have good range of motion and he can’t guarantee what kind of range of motion after surgery. Will be interesting to follow this thread to see what I might be in for.
    you can wait too long for good repair, sounds like insurance or workman's comp maybe dragging their feet

listen to your dr and to the physical therapist, ice not heat is called for. I have had both mine done and it was about a year recovery, a sports therapist is the best for full mobility and recovery. This isn't something that everyone has the same damage or same results. I didn't have the ice machine on my first shoulder and it was miserable, the second shoulder actually had more damage plus bone spurs. The ice machine made life better... especially with the new pain med rules.

listen to your dr and to the physical therapist, ice not heat is called for. I have had both mine done and it was about a year recovery, a sports therapist is the best for full mobility and recovery. This isn't something that everyone has the same damage or same results. I didn't have the ice machine on my first shoulder and it was miserable, the second shoulder actually had more damage plus bone spurs. The ice machine made life better... especially with the new pain med rules.
    Yeah look up the an acronyms MEAT versus RICE......I kinda have been doing this shit for 24 years now.....

And yes, surgery is acute.....

Just saying of course....

Doc

I’ve had both shoulders repaired with the full gamut, my advice is make sure you have a therapist who has worked with the surgeon and follows the surgeons recovery protocol. My first shoulder repair I was doing too much too soon and it took 3 months longer than the surgeon advised to get acceptable range of motion. The second one I followed the rules and recovery was on track. I had severe arthritis in both from waiting to long to get them fixed and don’t have the strength or pain free range of motion that I had in my younger years, it did eliminate most of the aching and sharp pains when moving or lifting. Good luck with your recovery!

Similar surgery. Don't remember the exact time table, it's been about 4 years. The sling was only worn to PT or DR. visits after the first week. Didn't over do it worked on range of motion mostly. I worked other body parts and good side to keep in shape. Was told about keep working the opposite side by a very smart nurse and fellow gym member. He said something about it tricks your brain and the recovery is quicker and you don't loose as much muscle mass. About a year I saw my PT while shopping she had a some what angered expression on her face when I told her I was back to shoulder pressing 80 lbs dumbbells! Yes you can regain your range of motion and strength. It takes time. I did a shoulder workout tonight and pressed 90 lbs dumbbells for 12 reps. I'm 53.

Reactions: DIBBS and jrassy
    Injured my right shoulder years ago when I was still dumb enough to play league softball and play like I was 16. Actually the game I hurt it in I really didn’t know if hurt it till the following week. We get to the field and start tossing balls. Mind you I played third and still hand an arm like a cannon. Buddy throws me a ball I go to rocket it back to him and almost went down in tears. Best way I could describe it that it felt it would if you were tearing a ribeye steak in half with your hands. Ended my softball then fast forward 6 years and it getting were I can’t do things with that arm at work. Go see a doc and he goes ya you got tears there. I’m like no shit doc tell me something I don’t already know. Had the surgery to repair the tears and get rid of the spurs. Did my rehab and chumped out on my home exercises(don’t do this). 2 years latter I’m now able to lift weights with some pain in my left shoulder but it’s getting better every week. One of my lifts incline dumbbells still hurts a touch but I’m able to do 3 sets of 10 with 65 pound dumbbells. And days I do heavy bench press it smarts a touch but I can tell it’s getting better. Long story short do skimp out on your PT and your home exercise.

I had a grade 5 ac joint separation and it took pretty much a year to feel 90%. You got hit pt pretty aggressive and really stretch. Once I was cleared for light training I bought a shoulder bulletproofing system that power lifters use and would recommend it. 2 years later im probably 95% and that will probably be it. Plus almost 70000 hope you got insurance.

Last edited:
    I'm going in on Monday for mine. Full thickness rotator cuff tear, biceps tenodesis & AC joint resection. I've decided to try something a little different for my recovery. I ordered BP157 & TB500 from my TRT clinic. I'm hoping that helps.

I had AC joint desection in other shoulder a few ago. I got impatient and didn't easy back to normal activity. It set me back. My goal is to try and go easy and slow with the rehab.

Good luck with your recovery.

I have had both shoulders done, very similar to yours.

Stick with PT, avoid Bicep curles, for the love of god avoid using your bicep. If they had to anchor your labrum it anchors right by the short head of your bicep and you WILL NOT BE HAPPY if you engage it. Pretty much everyday your going to want to work your delts, rhomboids, upper traps, scapula. Light weight, multiple reps, bands are best. BE CAREFUL.

They should of told you the same thing they did me, 1 year to 100%. 3 months into my recovery I was back in the gym (obviously lighter than usual but still working), by month 6 I Was pretty comfortable and doing dips.

Do not rush this, you will end up right back where you started. I am getting ready to have to have a second surgery on my right shoulder all bc I rushed my recovery. Your gonna hear a lot of wind about moving quicker than you need to, ignore it.

• Love
    I was out of commission for 8 months. It took that long for me to be able to draw from my duty holster. Before that my range of motion was so limited to inside the body. I could not really do shit with it to the outside of the body. The anchors are the worst part as I still have a lot of pain from them. I am now able to do pull ups and everything else I did before except scratch my back. I can only get my right arm to the small of my back compared to my left that I can almost touch the shoulder blade. The pain will never go away , it’s just different.

I only had impingement, way back in the 90s. I don't think I lifted the same amount of weight as before the surgery for 2-2.5 years, maybe 3. I was highly disappointed in surgery. Is it better today, yeah, because I don't lift and my left shoulder has impingement too. I don't have enough space so they did a Claviculectomy. I had a chance in the 00's to see Dr. Andrews (the MLB pitcher Dr) but didn't want to go through rehab.

Rehab has improved tremendously since my surgery and I wasn't even in rehab the first 2 weeks, allowing scar tissue to build. So hopefully you were in rehab immediately. Most are now in it the day after or 2 days after. Again, I had ALMOST gotten to a tear but it was impingement in my case. Good luck, I've been there and I wish you well.

Pushups still hurt, ten years later.

Pull ups do not hurt, so I do those.
    That's interesting. I have double slap tears, but have decided not to have them repaired for now. Push ups feel great, so do dips and any other pressing movement. Pull ups make me see stars, but chin up feel great. Bodies are weird.

Get in a pool and start working range of motion. Float your arm and slowly start moving it. Grab a ladder rail or the edge or the pool, and move your body so as to stretch but not using the damaged tendons/ligament for the actual motions.

This is how I started Rehabilitation of my shoulder after an accident. Start slow and slowly work up.

Last edited:
    Basically same thing with my wife both shoulders.

She is awaiting another surgery on a new injury to right shoulder.

Sitting in front of me with ice pack on again.

She is only able to shoot rimfire rifle, shotgun too heavy to hold up even though she is compleatly ambidextrous and no eye dominance.

She still compeats in all rimfire and shoots cf handguns. And can shoot her ar on a bench.

Pissing her off her custom o/u is going to have to wait.

Hang in there.

Her explaining she reinjured it while shooting in the 5 stand shoot to her doctor was hilarious.

I had my left shoulder completely rebuilt back in 2004 after multiple sports injuries. I'd have to go back and look at the paperwork on what exactly was done, but the arm was in a sling for 6 weeks before PT started. The PT was 10x worse than coming out of surgery. Not sure if it was due to the methadone pump straight into my arm and hydrocodone from the surgery or what. Whatever you do, stick to the PT. I quit early and still don't have full range of motion. It took me close to a year to feel somewhat normal again.

Reactions: Leftie and DIBBS
    As someone who is over a decade out of a successfully rebuilt shoulder (meaning that I recovered to full function from being a college athete and water polo player who thoroughly abused my shoulders, and am single arm pressing 54lb kettlebells for reps no problem now, along with every other atcivity that I was able to do prior, except for swimming freestyle for distance) here's what I followed following surgery: I rested that arm and did nothing for 6 weeks, and then did my PT every day and was in the PT office 2-3x a week for 12 months... I then was doing daily PT exercises and a 1x a week office visit for PT until the 18th month of surgery. I probably continued my daily PT exercises until month 24 or 30 on my own as well...

To say that the PT is agony for shoulders is an understatement. If you have a good physical therapist, they will push you, and you'll feel every fraction of a degree of motion that you're trying to get out of your shoulder. Having someone who will hold you accountable for your daily PT and range of motion exercises is important because you're not going to want to do daily PT unless you're a masochist.

Investing in PT (but not overdoing it) is the key, along with eating healthy and knowing when not to push yourself to or past your breaking point. If anything, focusing on the recovery portion and allowing myself time to rest probably helped me return to full motion faster, and when I finally started using my shoulders again during workouts, I focused on full range of motion, dynamic movements, and proper form with reasonable weights and attainable goals. I reset my performance baseline entirely and ate the humble pie to do so, which was an ego-killer initially, but by month 24, I was pound-for pound stronger, faster, and more resilient than I ever was before, and never looked back. I attribute a lot of this to focusing on whole body lifts and not doing stupid things that would get me injured again... and being patient.

TLDR: Don't skimp on PT, be patient, and recover properly. Also know that your entire musculature on that side (chest, back, arm, and neck) will be affected by atrophe post-surgery, which is ok, but your baseline will change and need to be rebuilt.

• Love
    As someone who is over a decade out of a successfully rebuilt shoulder (meaning that I recovered to full function from being a college athete and water polo player who thoroughly abused my shoulders, and am single arm pressing 54lb kettlebells for reps no problem now, along with every other atcivity that I was able to do prior, except for swimming freestyle for distance) here's what I followed following surgery: I rested that arm and did nothing for 6 weeks, and then did my PT every day and was in the PT office 2-3x a week for 12 months... I then was doing daily PT exercises and a 1x a week office visit for PT until the 18th month of surgery. I probably continued my daily PT exercises until month 24 or 30 on my own as well...

To say that the PT is agony for shoulders is an understatement. If you have a good physical therapist, they will push you, and you'll feel every fraction of a degree of motion that you're trying to get out of your shoulder. Having someone who will hold you accountable for your daily PT and range of motion exercises is important because you're not going to want to do daily PT unless you're a masochist.

Investing in PT (but not overdoing it) is the key, along with eating healthy and knowing when not to push yourself to or past your breaking point. If anything, focusing on the recovery portion and allowing myself time to rest probably helped me return to full motion faster, and when I finally started using my shoulders again during workouts, I focused on full range of motion, dynamic movements, and proper form with reasonable weights and attainable goals. I reset my performance baseline entirely and ate the humble pie to do so, which was an ego-killer initially, but by month 24, I was pound-for pound stronger, faster, and more resilient than I ever was before, and never looked back. I attribute a lot of this to focusing on whole body lifts and not doing stupid things that would get me injured again... and being patient.

TLDR: Don't skimp on PT, be patient, and recover properly. Also know that your entire musculature on that side (chest, back, arm, and neck) will be affected by atrophe post-surgery, which is ok, but your baseline will change and need to be rebuilt.
    Yea I pretty much did pt 3-4 times a day every day. Its a grind.

That six weeks is my biggest problem with rehab. You should be in PT 2 weeks after even the most extensive surgery to shorten the recovery time. Once the adhesive capsulitis sets in, it's an uphill battle for us all the way.

That six weeks is my biggest problem with rehab. You should be in PT 2 weeks after even the most extensive surgery to shorten the recovery time. Once the adhesive capsulitis sets in, it's an uphill battle for us all the way.
    There was no way I was doing pt 2 weeks after having my shoulder rebuilt. I was in a sling for 3 months which I was told is to allow the ligaments and muscle to grow back together. Mine was a traumatic injury so maybe its different.

There was no way I was doing pt 2 weeks after having my shoulder rebuilt. I was in a sling for 3 months which I was told is to allow the ligaments and muscle to grow back together. Mine was a traumatic injury so maybe its different.
    Might only be passive ranging, but staying in the sling slows the rehab process. Motion is the most important thing to regain after surgery. The longer you wait, the longer it takes. Most protocols are too conservative. I've rehabbed two shoulder surgeries in less than a year and he's back to full duty. That's from surgery on one, rehab it and surgery and rehab on the other.

Might only be passive ranging, but staying in the sling slows the rehab process. Motion is the most important thing to regain after surgery. The longer you wait, the longer it takes. Most protocols are too conservative. I've rehabbed two shoulder surgeries in less than a year and he's back to full duty. That's from surgery on one, rehab it and surgery and rehab on the other.
    I know in my case I was nervous about spending 60k and not being cautious. I didn't find it to hard to get the rom going and that was with a fractured elbow in the same arm. I was pretty aggressive with pt and seeing my physical therapist twice a week.

IMG_1920.JPG
    This is what he/she sees while doing the repairs. Just some FYI. I had four tears, and some debriding done. Got back to normal in about
    6-8 months. Do your PT like it a religion that is optimal for fast recovery.

My right shoulder looked like you cut a rubber band with a knife. He put a cat gut screw in one side and stretched the longest end to attach to it.
    Doc insisted I keep sling on For 6 weeks. Physical therapy was a joke.

Been 4 years and feels as good as it ever did. 40 years swinging a machete tore it up.

BugIn

Open bankhart repair and capsular shift in 2002. Took me 13 months of PT to get back to “normal” life. Jumping out of planes again around 20 months maybe a tad less. Almost 20 years and I still have minor issues with some movements. Chin ups suck, pull ups are g2g, push ups are doable, but my shoulder makes creepy noises that scare people close to me. I can’t throw overhand, or I have zero desire to at least. The thought of overhand throwing still makes me cringe in pain. I have a 6 or so inch scar on the front of my shoulder and a 1/2 ish inch scar on the back.

Reactions: Leftie
    I’m 7 weeks post with the same surgery plus scrapping out the calcifications in my tendons, removing 10mm of collarbone, attaching the tendon and releasing my bicep and reattaching it in my arm pit. I’m about 4 weeks into PT and they say about 6 months for full range of motion with partial weight bearing and longer for full recovery if that ever happens. Don’t think you will be doing much this winter. I figure by March or April I should be well enough to have the other side done the same way…:(

I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback, experiences, recommendations, and thoughts.

Doing passive PT with therapist 2x a week, & doing a few exercises a couple times/day at home. I am doing my very best to follow the surgeon's and therapist's recommendations.

Hoping to get out of the sling @ 6 weeks, and my aim at the toilet and eating left handed has definitely improved substantially, along with other things. I have been driving one handed off and on for years, fortunately w the left hand, so that hasn't been hampered.

I do spend too much time perusing the classifieds here and elsewhere and online looking for deals as a result of having my wing clipped. Spouse is threatening to put a lock on my purchasing power and internet privileges.

To those of you in the same boat as me, best of luck with your rehab and recovery!

One thing not discussed much is pain levels associated with this journey. After surgery for me it was pretty substantial, and after a week it was predominantly a dull ache. With PT, even being passive- therapist moving the arm... it has gotten uncomfortable, 3-5 at times on a 1-10 scale.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Snipe260
    Dibbs, wait till they have you do pendulums. I did them second day after surgery and it....was....terrible.

Good luck, and speedy and safe recovery to you.