• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing ?s on trimming screws for Manners Mini-Chassis

Fredo0621

Minuteman
Jun 2, 2011
NOLA
Getting my Manners T2 w/ mini chassis today from Stockys. I have done plenty of research on the product, but I have some questions on the trimming of the action screw. How will I know how much to trim? Watched Frank's Vid on youtube, but he did not have anything on trimming the screw. I have a dremel and a hack saw....i'm lazy and thinking dremel. Also, does anybody have the specs of the screw(dia & tpi) so i can get a nut to use as a guide.

Any tips on the install would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: ?s on trimming screws for Manners Mini-Chassis

1/4-28 is the pitch for most stuff. Winchester is 1/4-32.

As for trimming:

Front screw;

With bolt removed, tighten the front screw 100%. Drop the bolt into the action. Now begin backing out the screw and count the revs till the bolt fully falls into battery.

If you went 2.5 revs, you'd multiply it by .0357 to get almost. 09". A 28 pitch thread tanslates to. 0357"/rev.

That's how much you shorten the screw.

Rear screw works the same but in a m700 you just count the revs till its just below flush on the cocking piece raceway. (Center slot).

Hope this helped.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fredo0621</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting my Manners T2 w/ mini chassis today from Stockys. I have done plenty of research on the product, but I have some questions on the trimming of the action screw. How will I know how much to trim? Watched Frank's Vid on youtube, but he did not have anything on trimming the screw. I have a dremel and a hack saw....i'm lazy and thinking dremel. Also, does anybody have the specs of the screw(dia & tpi) so i can get a nut to use as a guide.

Thanks </div></div>Hi Fredo, For the last few years we have been using custom cut screws for our chasssis. ( 1/4 x 28 torx 30 heads ) They are pre-cut to length for the remington 700 short/action. You should not have any problems with them if you are using a remington short aciton. If you have a long action mini-chassis, there are times where you will need to trim the front screw about .04", the back should be fine. On custom actions, you will usally be ok to, but if the action is a hair smaller dia, it will sit just a hair low and you might need to trim a thread or two off. Per the installation instruction, always check the length on <span style="font-weight: bold">any type </span>of action before you install the bolt, if the action screw is long and you try to close your bolt you will ding the side of the lug on the bolt. With the scope off the gun, you should be able to take a light and look down through the top of the action and see the front action screw. It should not be above the inside bottom of the actoin, if it is, you should be able to count the threads, I always try to stay about a half thread below. You can do the back the same way. If you have any questions, give me a buzz and I will walk you through it. Thank you very much,

Tom,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. It's a bone stock r700 SA and the install went great without a hitch. Everything functions as it should. Thanks for making a great product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fredo0621</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting my Manners T2 w/ mini chassis today from Stockys. I have done plenty of research on the product, but I have some questions on the trimming of the action screw. How will I know how much to trim? Watched Frank's Vid on youtube, but he did not have anything on trimming the screw. I have a dremel and a hack saw....i'm lazy and thinking dremel. Also, does anybody have the specs of the screw(dia & tpi) so i can get a nut to use as a guide.

Thanks</div></div>

I've got a T2 LA w/ mini-chassis and Stiller TAC300. My front screw was making contact. I laid a file on the bench and ran the front action screw back and forth on the file to "slowly" remove material. Then I'd just screw it back in and try the bolt until it worked. Good luck.