• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors S&W 1911PD Gunsite edition: Pleasantly suprised

macthknife

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2004
clarksville, IN
I have never been a fan of S&W auto's and wasn't even considering one. I was researching a buld on a Caspian Frame, so I went to a local small shop to look at some Officers sized and some Commander sized weapons to help me decide what to order. They had the S&W in the case, and it was very light compared to my last all steel full size SA 1911A1. That helped me decide to get the titanium frame from Caspian. When I got the quote on my specific options though, the price was just out of my reach. Finishd weapon would run in the neighborhood of 2 grand if I do my own work. That a guestimate, and not including tools.

Well, I read all I could find about the Smith, and while they are not the perfect weapon, the share a lot of the spec of the one on my build sheet. So I put it on lawaway today. Seems like a well made weapon. It does have some issues, and as soon as I take delivery, I'll call Smith, and get the loose trigger dealt with. I guess I should put some rounds down range first to see if anything else becomes an issue.

Last thing. Anybody that has one, I would appreciate your thoughts. Any changes you made, and how it performs.

Later. Mac

Re: S&W 1911PD Gunsite edition: Pleasantly suprised

I have the non-gunsite 1911PD - no light rail. The only issue that annoys me is the up and down "jiggle" movement of the trigger. I called S&W and they said the play is normal, I'll have it remedied eventually. I've put near 5K rounds through it practicing and for IPSC/USPSA matches without a problem - except from the monkey behind the trigger.

One other thing I just remembered... I might replace my rear sight, I have the 3 dot Novak setup and I think I'll prefer the all black rear sights. 3 dots looks too busy during comps. I'm primarily a Glock guy, but after a lot of dry fire drills and practice I've adjusted (quit milking the grip) to a single stack grip again I like it.

I picked up the Scandium frame, commander length model three years ago. It is the first Gen. where they put <span style="font-size: 14pt">1911SC</span> on the slide! They now are more subtley labeled.

It was a T&E return that was supposedly only fired 100 times or so by the Polk County Sheriffs office. $500.00 and in beautiful shape. No dings, scratches or taters. Easily 5 ounces lighter than my Colt Commander and as accurate.

Nice pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the non-gunsite 1911PD - no light rail. The only issue that annoys me is the up and down "jiggle" movement of the trigger. I called S&W and they said the play is normal, I'll have it remedied eventually. I've put near 5K rounds through it practicing and for IPSC/USPSA matches without a problem - except from the monkey behind the trigger.

One other thing I just remembered... I might replace my rear sight, I have the 3 dot Novak setup and I think I'll prefer the all black rear sights. 3 dots looks too busy during comps. I'm primarily a Glock guy, but after a lot of dry fire drills and practice I've adjusted (quit milking the grip) to a single stack grip again I like it.</div></div>
After reading the 1911 forum a bit. It looks like a lot of them have the trigger issue. Easy fix though. buy an oversize triger, and file it to fit.