• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&W 27-2 NEED HELP

Matthew_Neske

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2021
Highland, IL
Hello boys and girls,
This is my first post. I am an avid long range shooter with my own 6.5 creedmoor bolt action build. I reload my own rounds for my shooting. Now that info is aside, I would like to ask you all for some help with info about a hand gun my father gave me today. It is S&W model 27-2 357mag. He had it engraved and it is beautiful, by far the smoothest wheel gun I have. I am trying to look up the value in the blue book, but the book only shows a model 27. It is a N frame model 27-2 5” blued. It was a retired police officers service pistol and he retired in the 70s. Also my father asked me to machine a brass bottom grip cap. I haven’t seen one in a long time, but I do know they were called “Head knockers”, in order to knock out the perp instead of shooting them. Can anyone help me find info about this revolver and point me in the right direction of buying or machining a brass cap?
Thank you in advance,
Matt
Rangers lead the way hooah!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 332
Nice scroll work on it. Can't give an estimate for you because is the type of modification that can lower the value unless was done by a "known" entity that collects such things as it also means it was re-finished. Quality revolvers command a decent price regardless.

I don't think I could bare to part with something like that if a family member or friend gave it to me.

Reactions: Matthew_Neske
I am not trying to part with piece. I am just trying to find more information about it and also to find if any one has seen these grip cap in recent times. This was a revolver carried every day by a policeman, after he passed it was given to my father was a 30 year police officer and now it’s passed down to me. The engraving work was performed by a guy known as “the engraver” out of Springfield, MO. I have a $1,000 deposit with for my future firearms and he has a 18 month lead time in front of me. As I follow in my fathers foot steps I had him engrave my Kimber Royal. These are all guns I hold dear to me and will never let go willingly. I am just looking for info about the revolver so I can bring it back to its respectful, police officer state.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 6.5SH
Thank you, it’s a beautiful gun I hold tight, but I am looking for help with information about the 27-2. I know the background of the revolvers original owner. I would like to know the information about the revolver itself and the “head knocker”/brass butt cap. So I can either buy the one or make one.

Never heard of the Headknocker accessory but the 27 is such a hunk of steel Im unsure why it needs enhanced skull crushing capability.

Wikipedia has the history of the 27 growing from the Registered Magnum to the 27 to its various dash numbers.

I have a 27-2 with 3 inch barrel and I consider it my affordable replica of Pattons Registered Magnum.

If you look on the Smith & Wesson forum, you'll find a few posts discussing these.

Reactions: diggler1833
Hello boys and girls,
This is my first post. I am an avid long range shooter with my own 6.5 creedmoor bolt action build. I reload my own rounds for my shooting. Now that info is aside, I would like to ask you all for some help with info about a hand gun my father gave me today. It is S&W model 27-2 357mag. He had it engraved and it is beautiful, by far the smoothest wheel gun I have. I am trying to look up the value in the blue book, but the book only shows a model 27. It is a N frame model 27-2 5” blued. It was a retired police officers service pistol and he retired in the 70s. Also my father asked me to machine a brass bottom grip cap. I haven’t seen one in a long time, but I do know they were called “Head knockers”, in order to knock out the perp instead of shooting them. Can anyone help me find info about this revolver and point me in the right direction of buying or machining a brass cap?
Thank you in advance,
Matt
Rangers lead the way hooah!

Start here: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm-history-request

I have a decent library of S&W technical and historical information, if you have a specific question about your 27-2. I've always favored N frame revolvers and especially like a 3.5 inch barreled 27.

The Model 27 is a great piece to hang on to.
Yours have target grips.; check your serial # prefix letter.

As mentioned, Roy Jinks has been in charge of the S&W Historical Society for decades; there is a form on the site that you complete with ~$80 and in 6 weeks you will get a nice letter describing the history of the Model 27 and specifically when your revolver left the factory and where it was shipped to.

I have never heard of brass inserts in the grips and I just looked in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 4th (latest edition) and no mention of any such configuration. The steel butt frame would suffice and I suspect that any other addition would lead to grip fracture upon impact, although a proper "brass shampoo" to the perp en route to the station might have been useful deterrent against future transgressions.

If you follow GunBRoker you will get an idea of condition and actual present day sales value.

I have these two relatives:
First up 1964-65 S&W Model 27-2 .357 magnum, 3.5" barrel. The highly polished blue finish with pinned barrel and recessed chambers was highly desired but cost prohibitive to for agencies with large inventory needs to purchase, champagne taste on a beer budget. The barrels could be ordered in 1/4" increment choices.

Smith & Wesson answered the call with this 1966-67 S&W Model 28-2, .357 magnum 4" Highway Patrolman. Flat blue finish, much less factory finishing labor, able to meet agencies budget line.

Both new examples, case colored hammer & trigger, adjustable rear sights, diamond checkered walnut Magna grips with diamond relief about the escutcheon and "S" prefix serial numbers indicating updated modern hammer block-rebound slide block linkage mechanism.

IMG_8811Smith & Wesson Model 27-2 3.5 Barrel copy.jpg
IMG_8802 copy.jpg

Currently on GunBroker....."N" serial prefix, not preferred to buyers as it indicates old style hammer block related to the cylinder hand.

As mentioned, unless you can document the provenance of the engraver, no added value; in fact some might prefer to find a nice example not engraved and have it sent to a notable engraver. That said, no engraver trumps family heirloom.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.18.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.18.50 PM.png

Reactions: diggler1833
Here's another post discussing grip caps. Apparently they commonly included a small badge or shield. Of course they were an aftermarket add on.

This post includes some nice pictures of a grip cap on a police revolver.

Last edited:
Factory engraved commands a much higher premium than aftermarket engraving, but yours is done very well and I don't think it would do anything other than help value some.

I know just a tiny bit about grip plates, but not enough to tell you the dimensions you need etc... in order to create a reproduction. I will say that your current grips on it may need a bit of TLC in oder to make them equal to the looks of the revolver.

Other than that, the other members here have already nailed it. Get a Jinks letter, and spend some time over on the S&W forums. Chances are that somebody over there knows all the info you're looking for.

You would need to look it up by the serial number on the bottom strap. The 27-2 has a very wide production range from the 60’s - the 80’s but the prefix can narrow it down.

The 3.5” and 5” are favored. What shop / smith did the engraving?