• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors S & W 44 Mag 629 Stealth Hunter

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
Does anyone have one of these handguns. If so what can of I expect from the gun as a hunting handgun.

Re: S & W 44 Mag 629 Stealth Hunter

I have had a number of 29s and 629s and now carry a 329 for my unintended (yet to happen) meeting with Mr. Griz. (26 ounces makes for easier carry)

They are all accurate guns and with a full house load of H110 and a 300 gr full metplat hardcast will kill anything you can hit.

Not as strong a gun as a Ruger DA or SA but unless you shoot 1000s of full house loads you'll not have an issue.

Here's Jordan and I in the foothills of the Sawtooths with the "big iron on his hip".
Serious Griz country but so far only seen scat and tracks (fine with me!)

bigironcopy1.jpg

I really like the 629 Stealth hunter model kinda on the pricy side of things. Put I would like to build a hunting handgun out of one. Plus the 44mag has a good backing of loads. Do you think the long 7 1/2" barrel would be to long. Looking to use on deer hunts max range 80-100 yards.

Too long for horseback, but for a hiking hunter, with a proper cross chest holster, it will work fine and gove you a better sighting radius if you don't plan to scope it.
(I would, Leupold 2X with the Redfield 3 scope ring mount.)

No horseback hunting here in Alabama mainly cause I don't own a horse. I would be putting a scope on it. The Leupold sounds like a good way to go on it.

Do you fell that follow up shots would be possible with full house loads?

Well if you hit the deer or hog through the shoulders there will be no f/u shot needed. But, yes with the 7.5" and scope it won't buck that much to prevent second shots. Just don't fall for the light weight jacketed bullets as they won't penetrate if you need to make a Texas heart shot. Lead works just fine and your barrel will appreciate it.

Sounds good to me then. Now time to start saving my pennies or in this case my dollars HAHA.

Mr. Humble thanks for the help!

I shoot and hunt with one of the first run stealth hunters.OD with black cylinder. Well worth the saving of your pennies. 16.8g 2400 300grain LBT gas check.Great wheel gun.

I've always wanted one, but other things always come up when I've got the money. I like the looks of the older one with green frame and black cylinder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: polter71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot and hunt with one of the first run stealth hunters.OD with black cylinder. Well worth the saving of your pennies. 16.8g 2400 300grain LBT gas check.Great wheel gun. </div></div>

What holster/holsters are you using? I found one on another site (OD with Black cylinder) that should be here by end of next week yeehaw!

Not trying to be a smart ass here and chime in with something you didn't ask for, but since you have not committed yourself to the S&W yet...you might want to look at either the Ruger Red Hawk which is DA or the Blackhawk which is SA for the same usage. The Smith is a good gun, I've had a couple of them, but IMO the Ruger is a better and stronger gun, durability-wise. Either one of them in the 7.5 inch barrel are super accurate at ranges that will make a rifle sit up and take notice. If you prefer the shorter barrels they are also excellent and some of them have provision for scope and some of them come with the rings in the box. They usually do not cost any more than a S&W and maybe even a little less sometimes. You will not be disappointed in one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cuznguido</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to be a smart ass here and chime in with something you didn't ask for, but since you have not committed yourself to the S&W yet...you might want to look at either the Ruger Red Hawk which is DA or the Blackhawk which is SA for the same usage. The Smith is a good gun, I've had a couple of them, but IMO the Ruger is a better and stronger gun, durability-wise. Either one of them in the 7.5 inch barrel are super accurate at ranges that will make a rifle sit up and take notice. If you prefer the shorter barrels they are also excellent and some of them have provision for scope and some of them come with the rings in the box. They usually do not cost any more than a S&W and maybe even a little less sometimes. You will not be disappointed in one </div></div>

Actually, I have already bought it. I have wanted one of these guns for 6-7 years - since it was first produced. I have a Brother-in-Law who has a Red Hawk in .44 mag that I have shot, and it is a very nice gun. But, this particular revolver has tickled my fancy.

I am using a uncle mikes nylon rig,for under the arm side carry.Glad you found one, also for a practice load try 9.0g Unique with a 240 lead.It should drive them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: polter71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am using a uncle mikes nylon rig,for under the arm side carry.Glad you found one, also for a practice load try 9.0g Unique with a 240 lead.It should drive them. </div></div>

Thanks. Do you know what the model # the holster is?

Midway #265726 is what I am using.Not sure what uncle mikes product number is.

Thank you. I'll throw up a pick when it comes in. Even ammo in .44 mag has been difficult to find - I looked online pretty extensively. I went into my local gunshop and they were just putting 10 boxes of .44 Hornady Leverevolution on the shelf, so I bought them all. I have no brass for it yet, so I needed to start somewhere

Brass for .44 mag has been getting harder and harder for me to find lately. That Stealth is a bitchen gun. I have a Taurus but want that Smith. Follow up shots are possible but with a 300 grain load, they take just a sec.
laugh.gif
Do your self a favor and buy a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag as well. The rifle and handgun generally shoot loads that are within .1 grain of each other in most books so you don't have to change loads to shoot them both.

I've been debating wether or not to do that. I already have 45-70 guide gun that I might have sell if I decide to do so - I'm out of room in my safe.

I love the 29s but don't cut short the model 25 in 45 lc. I usually carry my 4" 29 in a rig identical to Mr. Humble's except I have a heavier 29; recently, I bought this chest rig and its more accessible although not as stylin'. They have it for your gun with a couple of spare ammo options. Check out the shotgun backpacks they make too:

http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/