• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors S&W bodyguard 38 with laser

GMR

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Prescott AZ
www.gmrperformance.com
We bought the Ruger LCR first and my wife shot it very well. She put 150 rounds through it . She shoots it great no issues, she is not 100% in love with the finger grips on it but that was about it.

I am picking up my DPMS and she see the new S&W bodyguard. She falls in love with the small grip thinks the laser may be of some help so I buy it.

First time to the range 30 rounds ( same pratic ammo as the ruger) she has a bleeding blister in the web of her hand. Put a band aid on it. I think maybe she is holding the grip wrong ... dunno. So we reload the gun 2 more rounds and I she stops shooting and is now cussing. I look at her right hand and there is a big chunk of skin gone from her trigger finger and it is bleeding like mad.

Some how she was able to get her finger up under the trigger when it was fully back and when she lifted to cycle the next round it pinched the hell out of her.

The Ruger is not like this at all where as the Smith has a large area that you can get your finger into.

As well the extremely small grip forces you to hold the gun a certain way and thus tends to shoot rather high. Not really a good point and aim gun.

Thought I would post up if any one is looking into this gun see if you can test fire one before laying down the cash.

Re: S&W bodyguard 38

GMR, the Bodyguard is the first good carry pistol I ever owned. I put down a week's pay(it was a LOT of money for a starving college student) for one and carried it for years. That little gun had so many miles on it, the checkering was gone from one side of the grips. It was a pleasure to carry and most unpleasant to shoot, but it was certainly handy.

I can't say I had the difficulties your wife had, but it did have a bite to it.

david

Mine was pretty much the same thing, sans the laser. The hammer shroud was a big round hump witha slot for the hammer so you could thumb cock it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine was pretty much the same thing, sans the laser. The hammer shroud was a big round hump witha slot for the hammer so you could thumb cock it. </div></div>

This one?
163070_01_md.jpg

If someone still has that gun, please look at how much area/ gap there is when the trigger is fully in the back postion. I am wondering if they changed something.

On the other hand the ruger is much easier on the hands to shoot. The grip has a soft spongy area on the back where the web of you hand goes. This small area makes a huge change in felt recoil.

GMR, I would check your wifes hand position on the grip. Sounds like she's not holding the pistol high enough on the backstrap and her trigger finger is resting against the trigger guard as she pulls the trigger. Have her dry fire it and fix her grip for her. Just a possability.

Dark Side I did have her dry fire it several times she is doing nothing wrong that I can see. I think that that grip is the entire problem with her hand size. If you try to hold the gun down on the grip, it has a nasty muzzle flip to it and holding low makes the gun shoot high. Just may not be the gun for her or me for that fact. I could not hit anything with it either.

Thanks for the tips though. Gun will go up for sale.

about 5 years ago I bought the same smith revolver pictured above. I could not hit anything with it. I sold it after a few weeks. I had always wanted a small revolver, when the ruger lcr came out i bought it. I am glad I did. I can shoot this gun perfectly. It is now an off duty gun and my back up gun while on duty.

Bodyguard is a FINE carry gun. Great in an ankle holster. You don't even know it's there. Mine has lots of miles on it as well. Triggerguard is mostly silver from wear:)

Trilogymac

Signal

Well glad I am not the only one that cannot hit anything with the gun. After shooting the ruger the smith was a huge let down, but then I grab my 27 tupperware gun and make ragged holes. I love my plastic fantastic.
smile.gif

Really though it may be nothing with the gun at all as far as shooting goes other than it works for some and not for others.

The trigger issue though can some one take a look at there older version and tell me if there is enough room when trigger is back that you can get your finger in there??

I agree. I sold that same smith revolver to a friend and he loves the gun. I guess that gun just did not work for me.

Yeah the j-frame 38's are no problem for me in the j frame but the 357s make the web of my hand bleed after 10 rounds. Hurts more than any of my 44 mags. I'll never get rid of my airweight but they're way harder to shoot than other guns of that size available today.

FYI a Kahr P9 is the same length and height and has a much longer sight radius than a j-frame smith, they (kahr) are much easier to shoot accurately, and has more pleasant recoil. I've pretty much retired my j-frame. But again, I'll never get rid of it.

Well I am planning on selling or trading the Smith off.. No matter how well or good the gun is or what any other think about it. If I or my wife cannot accurately shoot it , the gun is worthless for protection.

She can shoot she snot out of the ruger and is extremely accurate with it up to 15 yards. She can put all five rounds in the x ring. On a low hold fast pull up she will still get all 5 in the 10 ring. That is the gun for her.

Thanks for all the info. In my opinion this new design is a flop and I would warn any one before laying down the money to shoot one first.

I had the 638. Liked it so much I got me the 438:

sw5%20007.JPG

I just checked the trigger, and I can see how the top of the trigger finger could get caught as the trigger resets. If I use the pad of my index finger, it's less likely to happen. If I use the crease, then it's more likely to happen, and even worse if I use the very middle pad of my trigger finger.

Has she tried using the pad? also, as the trigger resets, perhaps just let go of the trigger?

hand size is going to play a huge roll in that. She does use here pad but I think when she release the trigger she slid her finger in a bit. And well it bit her
smile.gif
Oh well looks like the gun is sold , pending funds.

Again thank you all for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GMR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">) Oh well looks like the gun is sold , pending funds.
</div></div>

LOL, that was fast! Someone scored.

Well scored is a loose term in this case. I explained to him why I was seling it and even offered to let him shoot it. He declined said he loves S&W guns period. SO i do not feel like I held anything back. Funds hit the account last night so it is gone.