• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&W M&P 15 - 22lr

Re: S&W M&P 15 - 22lr

I think TV66 is talking about the Smith & Wesson 22 built on a AR body. The Colt is an import the S&W is not. Colt leased out thier name I hear to Walther and they had the guns built by Umarex(?) which is a airsoft company(?) and makes the GSG5 and I've not heard many good things about them. I'm hoping the S&W is going to be alittle like a Ciener type but have not seen one myself. If it is and takes the Black Dog type mags then I would thing it would be a good product. Donald

Whoa, damn. Thats what happens when I post coming off night shifts.

No, sorry, havent seen the M&P .22

Poly upper and lower dedicated 22LR. Has TC 1 in 16 twist barrel. All controls function same as any AR rifle. The fire control group appears to be the same too. It will take any of the standard picatinny rail attachments on the quad rail fore end. The sights (F&R) are standard AR style and removable for optic install. It functions so far with everything I have put through it, Blazer, Federal Eagle, CCI. MSRP is $499.

I am waiting on mine to get here. I hope it is worth waiting for. What do you think about yours. shoot4fun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Poly upper and lower dedicated 22LR. Has TC 1 in 16 twist barrel. All controls function same as any AR rifle. The fire control group appears to be the same too. It will take any of the standard picatinny rail attachments on the quad rail fore end. The sights (F&R) are standard AR style and removable for optic install. It functions so far with everything I have put through it, Blazer, Federal Eagle, CCI. MSRP is $499. </div></div>

Edit:

Haha nevermind Jerry, I was about to say how the hell did you get one!
laugh.gif
This is John from Academy. Good to hear that, I have 10,000 rounds waiting on this gun. Still waiting on mine, I'm debating on buying one when it comes into Academy since they are already shipping to us.

Put more rounds thru mine today. I shot the CCI Blazer cheap stuff and some of the CCI Velocitor. That is one end of the spectrum to the other. It worked flawlessly with both and hitting clay birds at a 100 yds offhand with the iron sights wasn't too difficult.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cardog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have been watching all the distributors and no one has had these.
i have been waiting on one for a while now.

</div></div>

They should have been shipping to Texas academy stores this past week and the next. I know at least 38 should have one on hand.

I picked one yesterday here in western NC. Waynesville to be specific. It was the only one he had and just had gotten it in yesterday morning. It handles nicely and shoots pretty good too. I only tried it with the open sights this evening and I was getting a 2 inch group at 50 yds. All operations seem to be like a regular AR. Everything but the barrel is synthetic. The lower and the buffer tube are all molded together so no changing to a different stock if one is inclined to do so. But I like the stock as is. When I get some optics on it I will give a better range report

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cardog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how much are they bringing at Academy.....i might buy one retail if i didn't have to wait. </div></div>

Is it a milspec-size tube or something totally different?

Are the mags something proprietary, or Blackdog machine, etc.?

Hard to get? Pricing for extra mags?

I'm gonna go by Academy tomorrow and see if I can fondle one.

The buffer tube & receiver are one piece. So there's no changing stocks. And the mags are proprietary like the Colt 22's. I hven't been able to find any extra mags yet. I e-mailed S&W asking about getting extra mags but haven't got a response yet.

Mine came in today, overall it is a better built rifle than the colt/walther/airsoft umarex one. I mounted a BSA sweet .22 scope I picked up cheap on it, will shoot it a good bit tommorow hopefully.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The buffer tube & receiver are one piece. So there's no changing stocks. </div></div>

Did a Google search, found this article. Says that you can change stocks. In the picture it looks like a Magpul stock on the 15-22.

http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=580

It digested cci subsonic, federal 510, aquila interceptors, remington golden bullets, rem thunderbolt, federal automatch just fine today. Had a few light strikes with the rem golden bulk pack for some reason, otherwise flawless and with a scope 1" or less at 50 was easy shooting off the truck bed rail as the only support.

I bought both the colt M4 OPS 22 and the M&P AR15-22 and the Smith is so much better thank the colt so i sold the colt and bought another Smith. The colt was ok but the Smith is so much more for a lower price 399.99 plus tax at my dealer (whittakerguns.com) I have had Zero problems out of the M&P's
as for the colts i bought one and had to take it back(bolt was binding)and the second one, the mag could be pulled out without pressing the mag release and that was with firmly seating the mag. Don't get me wrong the colt was accurate even with the pencil barrel liner. The smith is had alot more thought put into it and it shows in the fit,finish and function. sure its polymer but don't let that fool you because I'm telling you when the smith start hitting the shelves in big numbers the colt will be a thing of the past

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

Well the light strikes became increasingly frequent and it started jamming a bunch today. I think I have traced it to the magazine being the problem because as long as I load 10 or less in it the problems are greatly reduced. Looks like I get to call the service department tommorow.
frown.gif
The light strikes seemed to be cause by the ammo getting chopped up by missfeeding and causing the rim to not fully seat against the chamber face.

hello

in one article i read from a gun magazine they had a problem with one of their mags something bout letting the bullet dive before it was stripped from the mag so they set it aside and used the other mags on hand and didn't have any more problems
so it just may be a mag issue

i know this is off topic on the smith but the colt m4 ops i had didn't like the remington bulk bullets at all and most people that i talked to didn't have any luck with remingtons in their colts either

this is the article about the mag issue
http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=580

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nitforfun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hello

in one article i read from a gun magazine they had a problem with one of their mags something bout letting the bullet dive before it was stripped from the mag so they set it aside and used the other mags on hand and didn't have any more problems
so it just may be a mag issue

i know this is off topic on the smith but the colt m4 ops i had didn't like the remington bulk bullets at all and most people that i talked to didn't have any luck with remingtons in their colts either

this is the article about the mag issue
http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=580 </div></div>

I saw that article also, I'm hoping thats all it is. It was FTF Federal 510's and Federal Auto Match today also. I think I will trade one of my Remington bulk packs out tommorow anyway at work. Most of the problems were the round would only go half way in the chamber and when I ejected it the round was all chewed up. Then some would get caught in the bolt and the rim would get stuck in the front of the mag then I would have to pry it out.

However if I only loaded ten rounds in the mag I wouldnt have problems the majority of the time, anything over 10 rounds and I had problems right off the bat.

Edit: I just loaded 11 in and noticed how they weren't double stacking neatly, I removed the mag spring and stretched it out and that made them stack correctly until about the 20th round was inserted. So it has to be a mag problem.

I just heard back from S&W about extra mags. You can call 800-331-0852 ext 2905 to order them and they are $20.04 each. They are out of stock at the moment but I got my name in the pot for 4 mags. The total w/ s&h is $86.66, not bad for for mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just heard back from S&W about extra mags. You can call 800-331-0852 ext 2905 to order them and they are $20.04 each. They are out of stock at the moment but I got my name in the pot for 4 mags. The total w/ s&h is $86.66, not bad for for mags. </div></div>

Good to know!
cool.gif

However they told me to send the mag in, so it left on the big brown truck today. I guess it will be awhile....
frown.gif

Got mine today, ran about 300 rds. of Federal 550 bulk pack this evening. Had one FTF with a bullet jam, it could have already been a little bent as this box has been open for a while and jumbled around alot. Mag loads easy and fed great. Didn't try it with a scope, to much fun with the irons on swinging plates.

The wife and kids love it and gave them a chance to learn basics of the AR without the bang-twang, should make it easier to move them into .223 after they shoot this for a while.

All in all the best toy I've bought in a while!

Thanks for all the input, keep posting your experiences with them! T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TV66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got mine today, ran about 300 rds. of Federal 550 bulk pack this evening. Had one FTF with a bullet jam, it could have already been a little bent as this box has been open for a while and jumbled around alot. Mag loads easy and fed great. Didn't try it with a scope, to much fun with the irons on swinging plates.

The wife and kids love it and gave them a chance to learn basics of the AR without the bang-twang, should make it easier to move them into .223 after they shoot this for a while.

All in all the best toy I've bought in a while!

Thanks for all the input, keep posting your experiences with them! T </div></div>

When do I get to play?
whistle.gif

S&W now has the mags up on their site in their online store. $27.xx shipped.

I picked one of these up this weekend. Shot at least 50 rounds of all the bulk pack stuff I could find (American Eagle, Winchester, Blaser, etc). All shot well, with no failures of any kind. At 50 yards with the iron sights I could keep most 5 shot groups within 1.5". I'm working on getting an optic for it, as I'd really like to see what it will do with a bit more magnification.

Saturday evening I swapped out the trigger and put in an Armalite match trigger. Today I went to the range at lunch time and shot more round through it, just to see if the trigger would work ok. It did. No issues at all.

So far I'm very pleased with this rifle!

Today Fed Ex brought the 4 extra mags that I had ordered from S&W. They came a lot quicker than I was expecting since they were out of stock when I placed the order. Hopefully they will function as good as the one that came w/ the rifle. I also read a good article in the October issue of Shooting Times on the M&P 15/22.

This thread has helped me decide to get one. Why not, it should be fun and the kids will love it.

Next question - anybody threaded one yet and what suppressor would be good for the M&P 15-22?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today Fed Ex brought the 4 extra mags that I had ordered from S&W. They came a lot quicker than I was expecting since they were out of stock when I placed the order. Hopefully they will function as good as the one that came w/ the rifle. I also read a good article in the October issue of Shooting Times on the M&P 15/22. </div></div>

Well damn, the ones I ordered haven't showed, maybe soon! I called to check on the one I sent back and they couldn't find anything on it, told me to call next week. Kinda pissed me off considering I havent had a mag to shoot it since the 2nd day I owned it.

I went and handled one the other day and while it looked Uber-cool it reminded me of the toy M-16 I had as a kid . If these cost 250-275 my daughter would already have one but at the 470-500 price they are fetching in Boise they can keep them . Looks like I am gonna have to just build a dedicated .22LR upper and massage it until it works .

Cabela's has them on sale this weekend for 4 hours. ($430)

Other than that, I like mine better than the conversion kit I had. I like the fact that it's a seperate gun and that everything works like a real AR. I like the fact that I can pick this rifle up and shoot and then pick up my AR and shoot or have my kids shooting this one, while I'm shooting the real AR. I don't have to take 5 to 10 minutes and swap everything back over. Most dedicated uppers cost more too and have a shady reputation of not working. This M&P 15-22 has been 100% out of the box. Also, I didn't get bold hold open on my conversion kit.

I hear you Steelhead but I went and talked to a buddy of mine at Cabelas and they have exactly 3 of them at 429 each and I am gonna be out at the Gem County Rod and Gun club taking RGarcia's Defensive carbine class . No rain checks , nothing .

I like the idea , just not the execution . More metal (heck if even the FF tube was aluminum) and I would be an owner . I like the heft and feel of the Umarex/Colt .22lr better for not a lot more . I realize they too have some birthing pains but at least you can swap around a heck of a lot more parts then you can on the S&W .

As I have both of them I think it is actually less parts that could be swapped on the Colt. None of the internal parts can be swapped in the Colt like they can in the S&W. I am thinking about putting a RRA trigger in my S&W. But Like you I wish the S&W had more metal, such as the lower and the buffer tube. I will say that both of they shoot just fine regardless of how or what they are made of.

I'm beginning to get a little po'd, just called and neither one of mine have shipped. No one can find where they even received my defective one.
frown.gif