• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gildoom

Alex Rogan Starshipgunner
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I have a lot of 40S&W ammo so I was wanting another firearm in this caliber, as it is the caliber my wife likes the most when we go shooting. Since 9mm is really expensive right now I started to hunt for something in 40 cal... I hadn't held one of the Pro series only the regular M&P's, it fits the hand really well, and would make a great range gun. They aren't really that expensive, and I went back and forth with the Glock 35 in the shop, finally arriving at the S&W. Mostly due to it just being different.

After the first 100 rounds, the trigger got noticeably better, it still isn't anything to write or brag about but it is getting better.

You can really shoot this weapon quickly, it is quite accurate, and recoil is very controlled, going back to your aiming point quickly.

If this had a better trigger, I hate to say it, but I think it would be vaulted to my favorite in the safe. It really fits the hand well, and how easy it is for me to aim, it just feels like the front sight goes write back to what I was aiming at.

I am going to shoot the piss out of this, if you get a chance, try one out, I am actually really surprised I like it as much as I do.

Attachments

• IMG_0345[1].jpg
    IMG_0345[1].jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 11
The 9mm pro series is my pick for my 3-gun matches. The ergonomics of the M&P can't be beat by the Glock. I will admit, I was hoping you were trying to sell what you had in the photo. ;) I wish I would have gotten the 40 cal and bought the 9mm conversion kit for it (basically new barrel and 9mm mags).

I wish I could have got my hands on the Pro. I was looking for a while but gave up on finding one locally and went with the standard size. Still it's a great gun I havn't had the glock out of the safe since I bought the M&P. I really do like the ergonomics and the trigger over glock. Now I see they are making the Pro CORE series with the slide already milled for a red dot. I'm thinking that will be my next pistol purchase.

For a better trigger check out Apex triggers and RAMs.

The APEX Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK)
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html

APEX M&P COMPETITION ACTION ENHANCEMENT KIT
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid36.html

I use the competition one on my M&P .40 and I use the DCAEK on my carry M&P .40. The competition trigger is about 3 lbs. and when I let people shoot it for the first time they always do a double tap even after I show them how to shoot it. The DCAEK is about 5 lbs and is a lot better than the standard trigger. I know some one who has a M&P PRO in 9mm and they have the DCAEK in theirs and say it's a lot better than the Pro trigger.

+1 on the Apex trigger. I purchased the 4.25" pro-series model - it still shoots great. I'm currently looking for the 5" in either 9mm or 40cal.
I've had my hands on the new one with the RMR sight on it. Very nice indeed!

For a better trigger check out Apex triggers and RAMs.

The APEX Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK)
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html

APEX M&P COMPETITION ACTION ENHANCEMENT KIT
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid36.html

I use the competition one on my M&P .40 and I use the DCAEK on my carry M&P .40. The competition trigger is about 3 lbs. and when I let people shoot it for the first time they always do a double tap even after I show them how to shoot it. The DCAEK is about 5 lbs and is a lot better than the standard trigger. I know some one who has a M&P PRO in 9mm and they have the DCAEK in theirs and say it's a lot better than the Pro trigger.

+1 on the above. I use the apex trigger system in my M&P Pro for IPSC/USPSA for production class. Works awesome!!

Can some one who owns or has handled the M&P Pro, M&P VTAC and Standard M&P tell me what the diffrence is between them?
What are you getting for the extra $150? Night sights, smoother slide, better trigger, diffrent magazine, tighter tolerance?
I was thinking of purchasing another handgun, mainly for range use and I am curious.
I own several M&P's; .40 and 9mm full size and compact, .40 shield and .22LR, but I have not handled a Pro nor have I seen one at my local gun shop for some time.
Thanks for the help.

Pro to me means longer barre, ramped rear sight (not a notch to use in clothing/table/dead bad guy's jaw) and dayglow front sight. Otherwise it feels like the same trigger, mag release perhaps sticks out a tad more? Basically you are getting a longer sight radius.

Izot, I have a standard MP9 in the 4.25 barrel in 9mm and did own the VTAC. I sold the VTAC after shooting close to 1000 rounds. I couldnt get used to the sights on it. It show way low due to the sight height. Plus, the trigger pull sucked, even after dropping in an Apex trigger system. My standard MP9 is used for 3 gun comp and has the Apex trigger and it did drop it down to 3-4 lbs. On the VTAC with the same kit I couldnt get it below 5 lbs. The VTAC did shoot anything I put in it. Like I said, couldnt get used to the sights and if you take them off you have a standard MP9. One last thing, the color on the slide wore off on the VTAC due to in and out of the holster. Wasnt a big deal to me but some people dont like that.

Gildoom and hlynch416, thanks for the input. On the PRO can you adjust the elevation of the rear sight? Not sure what Gildoom ment by ramped rear sight, just looking for verification.
Thanks

No, the rear sight on mine is just your standard sight. The ramp on the S&W Vtac has a ledge on it, so you can rack the slide with anything if your hand is hurt. I have not seen an adjustable rear sight on any of the M&P's, well factory ones I have seen.

Vtac_zpsd639e41a.png

+5 on the Apex trigger kits. It is not necessary to replace the trigger spring and you still get a much improved trigger pull. I used mine in my standard M&P 9 (w/4.25" barrel) for IDPA and steel and love it.

I now have a 5" Pro 9 and the same in 40. Also have just received my CORE 9 with 5" barrel. The CORE has the new sear housing set up and is the smoothest of all my guns. It has a very short reset that is tactile and audible. I am thinking either a RMR or Delta Point for it; or maybe the Vortex Razor. The 40 is going to get worked over with a competition only trigger and Taylor base pads for 20 round capacity.

Buy yourself a 9mm pro barrel and you can shoot two calibers. I have a 40L that I use a 9mm barrel with and it runs like a champ.

Buy yourself a 9mm pro barrel and you can shoot two calibers. I have a 40L that I use a 9mm barrel with and it runs like a champ.

Can you use a stock smith pro 9mm barrel in the .40, or do you have to buy a conversion from someone like storm lake or wolf?

Sgt. Dave -
can you swap frames easily? -
The reason why I ask is I have a .40 PRO, and a 9 pro core on order - I would like to know if I can get one apex kit and just change the slides for whatever use I have.

Sgt. Dave -
can you swap frames easily? -
The reason why I ask is I have a .40 PRO, and a 9 pro core on order - I would like to know if I can get one apex kit and just change the slides for whatever use I have.

They are usually interchangeable but no guarantee. I regularly move slides and barrels around with no issue. I have run a 4.25 slide and 9mm barrel (threaded), my 5" 9mm CORE slide/barrel on my 40 Pro frame and my 5" 9 Pro slide & Barrel on my 40 frame.

I can get a sweet trigger on a M&P by a good simple polish of the right parts. I had a trigger worked to 2.5lbs that had a great feel with the factory parts. I think a quick polish with a APEX kit makes a M&P trigger hard to beat by any other auto on the market.

I have a LNIB Pro .40 if you are interested, I would let it go for $600 plus $25 for shipping. They do shoot very smooth for a 40 and trigger and sights are above par for a stock gun. Hit me with a pm if your interested and give me your cell if you want Photos. I have the 9's and 40's in both sizes, and decided to thin the heard recently but have not eager to let it go. I think the M&P's are fantastic values.