• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&W M&P22 barrel threads too long.

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I just picked up a S&W M&P22 .22lr today. I went to take the A2 birdcage off so I could put my TBAC 22 Takedown on but ran into a problem. The threads on the muzzle are too long for the suppressor. I have roughly .0144 of threads still showing when I screw the suppressor on until the muzzle just touches the first baffle. I figure I have 2 options. Option 1 is to have the muzzle threads shortened slightly. Not really interested in that since the barrel is only 16" to begin with. Option 2 is to find a shim that would fit between the shoulder and the suppressor. Does anyone have any other recommendations or options? Anyone know where I can get metal shim made at least .015" thick and around .67 in diameter to match the barrel? I will be calling TBAC to see what they recommend as far as the maximum length for the threads. I don't want to screw the suppressor on too far and risk damaging the baffle. I also posted this in the semi-auto section.

SilencerCo makes a spacer made just for that. It’s like $7. I had to do the same thing on mine.

I will be calling TBAC to see what they recommend as far as the maximum length for the threads.
I can answer that part. The 22TD wants .400" thread length. Don't go by how much thread you have showing with the can screwed on. Measure the full length of the 15-22 muzzle thread, subtract .4, and you know how much shim you need.

I can answer that part. The 22TD wants .400" thread length. Don't go by how much thread you have showing with the can screwed on. Measure the full length of the 15-22 muzzle thread, subtract .4, and you know how much shim you need.
Thank you sir. I ended up calling this afternoon and was told the best option is to have the barrel rethreaded and that TBQC can do it for about $120.00.

Thank you sir. I ended up calling this afternoon and was told the best option is to have the barrel rethreaded and that TBQC can do it for about $120.00.
It's your money. I went with a spacer when faced with the same issue. For reasons unknown, Tikka threads their rimfire rifle .490". I'm now running a .090 shim with my 22TD.

I bought the Dead Air 1/2x28 spacer https://deadairsilencers.com/product/mask-hd-12x28-spacer/ . My local dealer had one in stock. If that is not enough I will probably order the Precision Armament Accu-washer sized to what I need. I like the idea of the Dead Air Spacer being threaded on so I don't have to worry about losing it when I take the suppressor off. I just don't want to spend $120.00 plus dollars on this rifle just to run a suppressor. This is just a fun gun that will ride in the side by side or truck to plink at groundhogs and to practice with something cheaper than 5.56 ammo.