• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns S & W Model ID Help Please

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
Trying to ID a 2” barreled 6 shot S&W 38. I think it is a model 10 but want to make sure. Crane has a 6 above 8237 with what appears to be a 2 under that. Serial number in the 300,000 range. I googled a bunch but found nothing definitive. Want to make sure of the model for holster and want to ID the age to see if +p loads are ok. Thanks.
E05C37F3-8CEB-48EE-B5CE-8CEB97C06261.jpeg
7785BEE3-9523-43FD-BD60-982BFDCDC52A.jpeg

Also, if anybody has a set of slim grips...factory magna maybe?? Please let me know as these pachmyer pattern like a m’fer!!

It also has a screw in the front of the trigger guard. I think the 10-6 does not have one.

The trigger guard screw was eliminated on the taper barrelled frame with the 10-4 in 1962. Supica and Nahas Standard Catalog of S&W.

C prefix. Give me a moment to find a book.

Downtown...you are a rockstar! Thank you very much. That certainly helps a lot. Looks like it was at the end of the 5 screw era. Any idea if it is ok to use +p in it? Likely worth the $50 I paid for it!

This is a pretty good article on the use of +P in older S&W. Really isn't an issue.

Too funny Downtown...I was reading that article when you posted the link. Thanks again for everything.

You know that gun really cries out for Magna grips and fine leather. To each his own😁. Try Dara Holsters, they're good at Kydex.
20210206_132516.jpg

Reactions: 308pirate
Agreed my I have always been a function first kinda shooter

Beautiful leather, classic designs. Very nice.

Too nice for this revolver! Maybe for my 1911...:)
Thanks Downtown!