• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing S&W one-piece grips....trick to removing????

Re: S&W one-piece grips....trick to removing????

if your talking about a s&w pistol, like a 5906 and such, i believe it tells you in the manual,which can be viewed on line.

if memory serves me right, theres a little dimple on the bottom to the rear of the magwell to help "pry" it off the bootom, there are a few lips towards the front sides that slip into the frame (be careful not to snap em off). once the bottom is loosened off the frame it's mostly shimmeying it off toward the rear and in a downward motion.

sorry,
its for a wheelgun "Grip Removal Process for S&W 686-4 Practical Champion"....friend of a friend, overseas. they e-mailed S&W and got no response (maybe because of overseas email address??).

sorry to waste your time, top predator.

tom

Some have a screw through the side of the grip, some a screw in the bottom. I'm assuming that would be obvious so it probably isn't what he has.

The black rubber "Bantam" grips (if that is what he's got) have a small recess on either side of the frame at the bottom of the grip. Tell him to use credit cards or some other stiff non-marring tool to pull the grip away from the frame on both sides. Once it's out (maybe 1/16" or so) pull down on the grips and they should begin to slide down. Once that happens they can be carefully pried off of the frame.

Hope this helps