• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns S&W Performance Center Revolvers Who’s Got Em

DaleGribble82

.308 is not dead.
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2018
North Carolina
Who’s got Performance Center Revolvers, and what are your thoughts. This is my 629 PC Hunter in .44 Mag will be getting a range report for this little gem on Saturday! 891DA756-98D2-458D-BD2D-1F31E912291E.jpeg

Reactions: Bender
I am interested in the range report though.

Do you plan on hunting with it? Deer? I have considered the exact same setup.

Do you roll your own? If so let us know which powder/ bullet setup you use.

This is my first setup like this. I do plan to deer hunt as well as hunt hogs with this setup. I’m unsure whether or not the sight will be sufficient, I’d much rather use a T1 or T2 but this shipped with the gun new so I figure I’ll atleast give it a try. I currently don’t roll my own loads but I do have a buddy that does, if in the future he cooks up some .44 mag I will be sure to post the details here.

That is quite possibly the best selling PC gun S&W has had come out of the factory in a while. I never talked to anyone who didn't like theirs.

Same as I’ve heard. I did quite a bit of research to lead me to the decision to pull the trigger on it. I’m hoping my feelings are the same.

There's been a few I've liked over the years but I'm not much of a pistolero. There was a couple of larger frame scandium revolvers I like including one in .44 and an 8 shot snub in .357 (I still want a 329PD or one of the custom ones) and a custom .22 auto, one of the hand made ones I can't recall the model of off hand. I have a 340PD that goes everywhere. I still forget it's in my pocket from time to time too it's so damn light.

Nice looking revolver you have, but then I think all the Smiths look good. The PC ones just better. But I have an old 686+ 6", it's not custom but it's certainly had some work done to the trigger because I've never used one this smooth or light. DA is smooth, SA and a damn feather could set it off with pretty much no overtravel. It's always been a favorite and a crowd pleaser, especially with .38's.

Loading your own is about the only way to get full performance out of a revolver. They just don't seem to load factory ammo with the slow burning powders and that's where the speed is at. I've clocked .357 (140 or 125 XTP's) at 1700+ using a heavy charge of N110. I bet yours would throw some hard cast 240's at blistering speeds. Accuracy in those long barrel revolvers is no joke either.

There's been a few I've liked over the years but I'm not much of a pistolero. There was a couple of larger frame scandium revolvers I like including one in .44 and an 8 shot snub in .357 (I still want a 329PD or one of the custom ones) and a custom .22 auto, one of the hand made ones I can't recall the model of off hand. I have a 340PD that goes everywhere. I still forget it's in my pocket from time to time too it's so damn light.

Nice looking revolver you have, but then I think all the Smiths look good. The PC ones just better. But I have an old 686+ 6", it's not custom but it's certainly had some work done to the trigger because I've never used one this smooth or light. DA is smooth, SA and a damn feather could set it off with pretty much no overtravel. It's always been a favorite and a crowd pleaser, especially with .38's.

Loading your own is about the only way to get full performance out of a revolver. They just don't seem to load factory ammo with the slow burning powders and that's where the speed is at. I've clocked .357 (140 or 125 XTP's) at 1700+ using a heavy charge of N110. I bet yours would throw some hard cast 240's at blistering speeds. Accuracy in those long barrel revolvers is no joke either.

I’ve heard and read range reports that validate that this 629 is lights out accurate with the irons as well as the provided UTG sight. I absolutely wanna sling some hard cast bullets with this beast. Just have to find some. .44 mag ammo has been scarce in my AO lately.

Is everybody's PC revolver working as it should?

On some sport shooting forums (USPSA/IPSC) people have got PC revolvers with serious issues out of the box.

On some sport shooting forums (USPSA/IPSC) people have got PC revolvers with serious issues out of the box.
Sadly, the PC isn't what it originally was meant to be. Most of the real craftsmen are gone from the Performance Center and the QC just isn't there like it once was.
For quite a while the PC and Pro Series still used forged and thru-hardened hammer and trigger while the rest of the line had MIM parts. These days the most distinct feature of the PC guns is the look.

Reactions: Velocity Chad
Sadly, the PC isn't what it originally was meant to be. Most of the real craftsmen are gone from the Performance Center and the QC just isn't there like it once was.
For quite a while the PC and Pro Series still used forged and thru-hardened hammer and trigger while the rest of the line had MIM parts. These days the most distinct feature of the PC guns is the look.

I’ll be sure to let you know how mine preforms. I hate to see people have issues with higher end weapons right out of the box just makes me sick.

I’ll be sure to let you know how mine preforms. I hate to see people have issues with higher end weapons right out of the box just makes me sick.
Oh, please don't think that was aimed at your purchase. The vast majority of them are of the quality expected from a high-end "custom" revolver.
It's just that those who have owned PC guns from the early days can easily see a change.

Oh, please don't think that was aimed at your purchase. The vast majority of them are of the quality expected from a high-end "custom" revolver.
It's just that those who have owned PC guns from the early days can easily see a change.

Not in the slightest. I took no offense, I know exactly what you are talking about. Many manufacturers have done what you described. It just sucks when someone ends up with a piece of shoddy work. During dry fires I have taken note that the trigger tuning done on this revolver is phenomenal by my standards. Both single and double action are exceptional!

Reactions: shoot4fun
My 929 could have been better done!

It doesn't ignite factory Win ammo reliably - maybe a 90% rate, the crane screw backs off even when tightened hard, and one of the chambers must not be aligned well because it always throws a huge flyer. The trigger action was dismal, S&W should be ashamed.

I won't buy a S&W custom shop revolver again.

My 929 could have been better done!

It doesn't ignite factory Win ammo reliably - maybe a 90% rate, the crane screw backs off even when tightened hard, and one of the chambers must not be aligned well because it always throws a huge flyer. The trigger action was dismal, S&W should be ashamed.

I won't buy a S&W custom shop revolver again.

That is awful to hear ??‍♂️.

This is the first thread I've ever heard anything good about PC revolvers...

I have a 500S&W Performance Center revolver. I'm quite happy with mine. However it is troubling to hear that others are not. These models fetch a premium over the standard models. As the price increases so should our expectations.

Looking forward to reading your range report Dale.

Reactions: DaleGribble82
Many have got good revolvers from PC. Then there's the horror stories when a new PC revolver needed significant attention from a gunsmith to work as it should. Like the 8-shooter that had one chamber that would not chamber a round.

PC 629 hunter was a real pleasure to shoot. No issues with timing literally no overtravel that I could notice on the trigger. DA was a smooth pull and single action is feather light. Minimal recoil, and grouping in single action was quite impressive considering I was using factory ammunition. 40 rounds obviously isn’t enough to say its good to go and 100% but I can say it functioned 100% during today’s trip. So far so good highly impressed with this weapon.

20 rounds Hornady 240 grain XTP
20 rounds Jesse James 240 grain JHP

Love my 460XVR slinging 315 grain SWC at a tick over 2000fps, it’s a hammer.

I have several. An older 625, a few 627s and two 929s. All moon-clip guns.

I throw the hammers in the trash and replace them with Apex DAO hammers and spend several hours tuning the triggers and chamfering the chambers. I also throw the rear sights in the trash and replace them with Bowens.

After replacing parts and working them over, they are awesome. But it takes a lot of time and elbow grease to get them ready for Steel Challenge or IPSC/USPSA.

If you just want an accurate high quality revo, they are awesome.

If you want perfect or really friggin close to it right out of the box, Freedom Arms or Korth is a good option.

My little J frame 642-1 PC Talo edition along with my ZT 0462 by Sinkevitch

Scandium/Titanium/Carbon Fiber and a hint of real wood, nice but effective edc carry

BTW, this little bugger is well timed, pops the primers everytime and is very accurate...

5F0BC826-9DD0-4048-8609-50EC2350B1AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Smiths are ok. They rattle when you shake them. Decent accuracy too.

They don’t have shit on a Python tho....

Attachments

• 0078AB46-307F-4E5B-8965-4B7277AACB4A.jpeg
    0078AB46-307F-4E5B-8965-4B7277AACB4A.jpeg
    914 KB · Views: 39
  • 359AF0E8-5026-4628-9AAC-C6DEDA509657.jpeg
    359AF0E8-5026-4628-9AAC-C6DEDA509657.jpeg
    889.5 KB · Views: 47
  • F6749589-45AF-45A4-A8BE-DF9659A1C129.jpeg
    F6749589-45AF-45A4-A8BE-DF9659A1C129.jpeg
    751.8 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: DaleGribble82
The 629 Stealth Hunter makes a nice fireball with 180 grain! I stuck a Leupold Delta Point on it, but haven’t shot it yet. Should make a nice deer pistol.

Attachments

• BD349F2D-9B6C-4392-968F-171CCE4F3263.jpeg
    BD349F2D-9B6C-4392-968F-171CCE4F3263.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 953B8D35-3598-4DDB-91EC-86558660DDC6.jpeg
    953B8D35-3598-4DDB-91EC-86558660DDC6.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 24
I shot a friend's Stealth Hunter and I was amazed how light it recoiled with 44Mag.

I have a 626 Plus. I bought it for teaching. Personally, I haven't spent enough time with it to know where it shoots.

32706379838_7a41a93835_c.jpg

Very nice. I sure do hate those damn internal locks though. My god why can’t they just make them go away. They are almost as dumb as the damn thumb safety on the M&P bodyguard .380.

Had an ignition problem with one several years ago. When I talked with them they told me they have two lengths of firing pins. One for California and one for everyone else. Since they don’t know where it will go,they all get California pins to begin with. Mine went back, got a pin 0.030” longer and problem solved. Could be bogus, but mine came back working fine.